I quit the AMD and Asus.(rignt on time rant), just read for a laught.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CAVERNA2K

Look, a fliing something!!!!!
Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
I am tired of this stupid low technology crap called AMD processor and Asus tek.

Best mother boards in the world? Check my MSI 865G Neo2-PFS now.

AMD: best processor? And my P4 Prescott 2.8 now, piece of crap then? Ya, sure, asus MAN.

Pros: my system did not lock up because video card drivers anymore, also did not lock with: processor temperature, anywhere temperature, and the ghost reasons(about 20)...

What else? Yes, noise. I can't heat it much now. I can hear much better right now, with my case open even, less noise. And my case can be closed, since heat is not a death-life question. All this means better coolers. AND the instalation? Hard? Even my winziped dog can do it. Imagine I? haahaha, piece a' cake!

cons: price, but hey, I´m happy.

And finally: I never got such a good feeling after building a computer like this one. Just looks like its parts are "well" with each other, very nice.

ATCH: my dog has something to say to ya all.

Attachments

• aaaaaa.JPG
    aaaaaa.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 57

CAVERNA2K

Look, a fliing something!!!!!
Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
ahhahahaahah
Well, I got a brand new digital camera.
I know how to use MS Paint.
My dog is old and has some problems with his eyes(catarata).
Old, but he is not outdated.
My dog is small.

I bought a new computer, a P4 Prescott 2.8Ghz, and a MSI mobo, and i have seen a huge diference in all the aspects in comparisson with my AMD/Asus based system. The diferences make the AMD/Asus system suck and the MSI/Intel counterpart rock.

There goes the big picture, almost a MB.

And it cannot be attached. Well, damn it.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
My system runs without problems and is quiet, too. Plus I can see how 64bit feel if I want to. :p

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Don't understand what you have against ASUS, so far they are very reliable and pretty fast from what my brother and I have found so far (he has built hundreds of servers so far)

AMD however used to be very unreliable, they have become better though. But still, for many purposes intel is the way to go.

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
How exactly was AMD unreliable (assuming you talk about CPUs, I dunno all that much about their chipsets)? Missing overheat protection is the only thing I can think of ATM and I wouldn't put that under unreliable.

Rostam

May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
The earlier AMD's I had ate alot of power and overheated pretty quick. That pretty much stayed untill the last version from what I know.

Intel is better for a few things, like multiple tasks for one. For a server, intel is definately a better choice than AMD. But for personal use there are so many things to consider it's better to just flip a coin and descide IMO :p

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Hadmar, they used to overheat pretty easily, now AMD CPUs are reliable and cheap, why go intel?
Also, I have a ASUS mobo and it runs nicely :)

The only problem I have with my AMD64 is some incompatibilities with NVIDIA gfx cards running in 32 bit mode, but it's probably NVIDIA's fault

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
The lack of a heatspreader on Athlon XP's makes it quite likely to crack the die while mounting/unmounting the cooler. That's a plus for Intel. But the upcoming new Intel socket will be a real pain in the ass, since they mention figures like 10 mount/unmount operations (cpu-board) until the socket is likely to break. :lol:

The new P4s (Prescott core) are even harder to cool than any AMD System since there TDP (Thermal Design Power) goes up to 130 W (AMD 90W). Building a cool and reliable high end system is definetely easier with AMD, but a lot depends on components choice and their smoth interaction...

Last edited:

Rostam

May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Freon, 2 reasons: When you want a server, intel is still less likely to overheat. It's also better for multiple applications, so if you want to run 30 things on the background intel is the better choice. However, if simply for gaming, AMD is probably better. But like I said there are alot of small differences so it's hard to descide which one is actually better for what you want to use it for.

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I've been using AMD CPUs since I upgraded from my P133 and never had overheating problems and I used either noname fans or the boxed versions (up until my 64... boxed was out of stock) but yes, older AMD CPUs got quite hot and I know people had problems couse of this. It's just... should that realy account to the reliability of a CPU? Isn't that more of an issue of the case/cooling?

I wonder how reliable the P4 3.6GHz / 119A / 115W is. ;)

*edit*
Grrrr.... phone -> double instaposted

Last edited:

Rostam

May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Don't know about the 3,6Ghz, but I know that all Intels up to 3,2 are extremely reliable. As are the intel mobile versions.

Now, I must have fun now that some of my stuff arrived and I can watch some anime, the holy grail and audition.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
My current rig is a 3.2 GHz Northwood P4 in an Asus p4c800-E deluxe. I am VERY happy with my current system. Very stable and very fast. I got heat issue though, but that's because the case I bought is crap for heat exchange (despite the fact it's one of the top rated case). Perhaps the fact that I have a 9800xt and 5 HD in a mid tower doesn't help :D

My 3.2 is simply one of the best intel-based processor I've had to work with. I'm using it as much for work the for gaming. For my work (I'm doing a lot of Fourier Transforms on vectors of a few million points) it's the closeser I've ever been to my Dual G5. Not comparable yet but close.

As for AMD, since I've seen a 64 bit processor work, that company is definatly dead in my mind. If in 2000+ you can't build a reliable 64 bit CPU that can be used for 32 bit application, then you are out of the loop. AMD isn't the first company working of 64 bit processors and there is nothing new in it.

For the overheating problem, one generation had no temperature lockdown. I _think_ this has been corrected... But the idea of releasing a CPU with not over/under voltage and temperature protection give a good insight on the quality of their engineers.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
or they just expect the users to know what they're doing (as in : built a good case with proper cooling according to specs).

So what if it's not foolproof ... perhaps it's not built for fools by fools like Intel's are ;)

Intel : help support our poor managers's wallets ...

Feb 26, 2001
England
geogob said:
As for AMD, since I've seen a 64 bit processor work, that company is definatly dead in my mind. If in 2000+ you can't build a reliable 64 bit CPU that can be used for 32 bit application, then you are out of the loop. AMD isn't the first company working of 64 bit processors and there is nothing new in it.

The AMD 64 bit CPU is the ONLY 64 bit 4086 based CPU on the market. Intel haven't even put out their version yet. Does that mean you think that Intel are out of the loop?

Theres nothing new in the AMD 64 bit CPU? Its the only 64 bit CPU that can run the 64 bit version of windows for a start. Thats pretty damn new.....

As for stability, if you put a decent system together, you shouldnt have any problems together with either route. For gaming, the AMD solution pushes slightly ahead of the Intel version in terms of price and performance. I have yet to see one recent review of any AMD system with any negative comments on system stability.

Last edited: