Interested in makin skins - help please

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

{GUNDAM}NATAKU

Suffer the Flames of DEATH!!!!
Jul 15, 2004
:confused: I'm new to the skining process, but am interested in making them. I was wondering if any one knew what it takes to get started - programs?, skills?, talent? I would greatly appreciate any kind of asistance you all might give me.

Thank you for readin my thread!!!

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
On the DVD in the CD6\Extras folder you'll find Upaint which is the program for beginners to skinning. Also you'll find all the character textures there in .PNG format (copy them to your hdd). Then off you go... Open a character and paint away ;)

{GUNDAM}NATAKU

Jul 15, 2004
Thanx klasnic

Thank you soo much. :) Do you know any thing about making new models?

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
I've really only started to read up on modelling. Very complicated by the looks of it. 3DStudio Max and Maya (on the UT2004 CD) are the most common apps used. Then you have things like Lightwave which I've never seen. I plan on modelling sometime ok ;)

{GUNDAM}NATAKU

Jul 15, 2004
thanks again

Would you happen to hve any tips in skinning that may be of some use. Such as for shadding, detail, or does using the wire frames help with some of the cover skinning etc. By the way klasnic, I dowloaded your skin pack and those are possitively some of the most stunning ones I've seen yet. Thank you for all of your assistance. :) :notworthy:

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
{GUNDAM}NATAKU said:
Would you happen to hve any tips in skinning that may be of some use. Such as for shadding, detail, or does using the wire frames help with some of the cover skinning etc.

Umm, the only suggestions I can make are really to only use Upaint when you have to. Use an image editing prog like Photoshop, PSP or something if you can. I've only ever used Upaint to show me where areas on the body are on the image then I've just drawn over it in PS. For me the human ones were the hardest to skin. The juggernaut, skaarj and robot are a lot easier and you can be more creative. Avoid just changing the colour as that's been done 1,000 times before. Take your time doing it. Ask how to do t/c's if you can't figure it out. Then just take a look at other ppl's work to try learn from that. Dunno' if that's any good to ya ;)

Cantar

Jun 26, 2004
Upaint Rock! although theres some limits to it =( i need some differnt texture Brushes cus am not artst!