PDA

View Full Version : JailBreak - The Game

FlyerDigital
15th Jul 2004, 12:58 PM
Hello guys,
Don't really know if this is the right forum to post on, but someone suggested that I'd post here, so here I am.

I'm going around to JailBreak communities and asking them for help on a free, opensourced JailBreak GAME. This will not be a mod but rather a game, powered by a next generation 3D Engine. I've posted the details on GameDEV forums which can be found here [ http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=257235 ]

The idea is to unify the JB community. Because JB is a mod (on several different games), thus many JB players/fans exists but on different platforms (games), so individually these player counts are not what they could be if JB were one central community. Don't get me wrong here, I don't want to steal any players, but rather want to unify the player collective as one.

Anyhow, we'd love any help we can get, and especially the help of spreading the "word". I'm trying to do my best to get some willing folks to help the JB :: the Game project and not step into someone else's territory at the same time.

So Please visit that gamedev link to get more in-depth info on the project and if your willing, come by our forums to ask questions, post comments or even better throw in the towel to help :)

thank you.

Jrubzjeknf
15th Jul 2004, 02:23 PM
I think that's the power of JB: it's on so many FPS games, it has made a huge reputation over the years and it'll only be groing in the next years. But JB as a game? I dunno. Seems more like UT2004 with only CTF as gametype. And that's what JB is: a gametype. You'll need more variation in your game if you want it to be succesfull. UT2004 now has: DM, Mutant and Invasion for frag the other guys' asses, CTF and BR for the teamplay and AS and ONS for tight and structural teamplay. JB is just JB. You'll get GTA3 with only pedestrains, Need For Speed with only one track, Pokemon with only pikachu. JB is great as a mod and really cool to do, but don't turn it into a game by itself. There's just no future in it too. Look at UT, UT2003 and UT2004. UT is (was for me ;) ) great: DM, CTF, DOM and best AS. UT2003 was more of the same, only without AS. In UT2004 there was Invasion added, along with ONS, Mutant and AS was readded. JB can't have that, because you want the gametype to become a game. So it'll be JB only.

I admire that you're trying to pull something off like this, but you really gotta consider if this is worth it. IMO it's better to keep the mod the mod, since the JB game will just have too little to offer compared to games where the mod can be installed.
I do have to say I don't know any of your plans for creating this game (what you want to add to it or anything of that matter), so if you could reply on this one, it would be very nice. And if you want to make the game anyway and look how everything turns out, I'll wish you all the luck in the world. I don't want to discourage you. If you think this can become BIG, you should do it. But also do remember what I wrote here

cheers, Nova^

CyberSirius
15th Jul 2004, 09:32 PM
Hello guys,
Don't really know if this is the right forum to post on, but someone suggested that I'd post here, so here I am.

I'm going around to JailBreak communities and asking them for help on a free, opensourced JailBreak GAME. This will not be a mod but rather a game, powered by a next generation 3D Engine. I've posted the details on GameDEV forums which can be found here [ http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=257235 ]

The idea is to unify the JB community. Because JB is a mod (on several different games), thus many JB players/fans exists but on different platforms (games), so individually these player counts are not what they could be if JB were one central community. Don't get me wrong here, I don't want to steal any players, but rather want to unify the player collective as one.

Anyhow, we'd love any help we can get, and especially the help of spreading the "word". I'm trying to do my best to get some willing folks to help the JB :: the Game project and not step into someone else's territory at the same time.

So Please visit that gamedev link to get more in-depth info on the project and if your willing, come by our forums to ask questions, post comments or even better throw in the towel to help :)

thank you.

Good Idea but you can maybe add a Single Player Campaign.

TheSpoonDog
15th Jul 2004, 10:16 PM
This is true - Jailbreak is not enough on it's own.

Maybe for single player it could be like a mixture of Assault and Jailbreak, where you and a team of co-op players go through missions against a group of enemies, and you have objectives to achieve but you need your teammates with you to achieve them. So if any of your teammates die, they go to an enemy jail in the mission and you must go and release them before you can continue completing the mission objectives. Good potential for some cool gameplay and replayability there.

Trueblood
16th Jul 2004, 05:58 AM
Great escape comes to mind :)
as for a team based game, i dont think it would be much different appart from having a different engine. More info about it would be helpful