PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3

Pages : [1] 2

ShadowKi][er
14th Jul 2004, 07:41 AM
Got 94% in PC Gamer.

BinarySystem
14th Jul 2004, 09:24 AM
Wait a minute. Did Doom III get released early and noone told me? Or was this based on something else?

BoboThePenguin
14th Jul 2004, 09:26 AM
They send reviewers their copies early, so they can get the review out right before the game is released.

ShadowKi][er
14th Jul 2004, 09:27 AM
Searching the intarweb for scans :(:(:(

Beowolf
14th Jul 2004, 09:38 AM
Well...I may get it. I'm not really into those kinds of FPS's, but who knows.

spineblaZe
14th Jul 2004, 10:19 AM
August 3rd is the magic day! :D :D :D :D

phillys
14th Jul 2004, 10:22 AM
Is there a review on the net or some kind of scans?!

Xaero
14th Jul 2004, 10:22 AM
I've had mine pre-ordered for a while now and got a cool little pewter figure. Game looks sweet, but I'm not expecting much in the MP department.

ShadowKi][er
14th Jul 2004, 10:41 AM
The multiplayer sounds decent for quick buddy matches. Sounds good to me since I have neither the time or interest to start pubbing and clanning in the near future.

Cap'n Beeb
14th Jul 2004, 10:49 AM
Preordered it a few days ago... the store I went to had the release date set to 7/27 though :con:

BoboThePenguin
14th Jul 2004, 11:13 AM
It looks pretty cool, probably would scare the crap out of me though :/

Balton
14th Jul 2004, 11:24 AM
cant wait to get my hands on it :)

tool
14th Jul 2004, 11:38 AM
HOLY **** THEN IT IS DONE!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

THIS IS A DAY OF CELEBRATION! \o/

has anyone found any scans yet of the review? anyone know the requirements? What i really want to know though is how much hard drive space does it take up?

Balton
14th Jul 2004, 11:40 AM
HOLY **** THEN IT IS DONE!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

THIS IS A DAY OF CELEBRATION! \o/
two weeks

NeoNite
14th Jul 2004, 11:42 AM
No no no two weeks is an unreal thing.
Prolly 3 weeks this time.

^_O

tool
14th Jul 2004, 11:43 AM
http://img28.exs.cx/img28/2982/doom3.jpg

:D

DeDpoet|BuF
14th Jul 2004, 11:46 AM
:lol: that is awesome....

ok ... i gotsa go preorder mine now, too.... /drool
id, don't let me down! I am yur bizzatch!

Warm Pudgy
14th Jul 2004, 11:47 AM
What i really want to know though is how much hard drive space does it take up?

did some searching around, and found the beta for doom 3, and it is 607 megs compressed

so once the full game is installed, it may be like ut2k4 :D

TomWithTheWeather
14th Jul 2004, 11:49 AM
Review typed out here. (http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_messages.php?board=314159267&topic=15116955&page=2)

Scroll down towards the bottom of the thread. :)

spineblaZe
14th Jul 2004, 11:49 AM
did some searching around, and found the beta for doom 3, and it is 607 megs compressed

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-11-04&res=l
:D

tool
14th Jul 2004, 11:51 AM
http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?threadid=23374

here is some more infomation to wet your pants over

while I really want a scan, this will have to do

THE WORLD-EXCLUSIVE FIRST REVIEW

You've waited years. Now the wait is over. PC Gamer was the only publication in the world to review Doom 3 a split-second after id declared it "Done." We thought we were ready...

Turn out the lights. Get the surround-sound speakers in place. And say goodbye to sanity for the next 20-odd hours. The guys at id Software are famous for delivering a game "when it's done" - and we're here to tell you that Doom 3 is not only done, it's mind-blowing.

X The game opens up with your arrival at Mars Research Facility of the massive United Aerospace Corporation. It's the year 2145, and you're a Marine newly assigned to the facility's security detail. For the first 15 minutes,you're not even issued a weapon - the action unfolds in a pace reminiscent of the opening of Half-Life, as you get oriented around the security building and watch some video primers on your new job and new home. In this opening act, you're familiarized with your Personal Digital Assistant, wich will be your invaluable interface throughtout the rest of the game. Using this handy gadget, you can download info from other people's PDAs as you come across them, adding codes, access keys, and emails that contain crucial information you'll need to progress through the 28 maps to follow. Here's what you really spen those first 15 minutes doing: gawking. This is your chance to absorb the full shock of magnificant graphics engine put to stunning use. The enviroments are huge-scale and packed with detail. The base is a convincing Mars Station - less a far-future design than a depressingly postmodern corporate park. It feels lived-in, too - from the skin mags scattered on the kitchenette tables to the nastiest in the public rest-room toilet bowls.

But no sooner do you get oriented with your gear - and with the very cool physics model that lets you rearrange just about any object in the place - then all hell breaks loose. Literally.

The base is hammered by a shockwave of satanic force, and immediatly discover that almost evryone around you has turned into a flesh eating zombie - with a mindless devotion to snacking on you. Worse yet, the base has been invaded by a horde of nightmarish demons. Cut off from your fellow Marines (and stalked by some of their well armed zombie versions!), you've got only a comm link with your still human Sarge to steer you to safety

DOOM AND THEN SOME

For those expecting a "classic" run and gun Doom gameplay, the biggest surprise may be just how substanial this game is. If you try to blaze through any of these 28 missions you WILL be humiliated. Instead the only route to access is a slow and steady one, sticking to shadows, searching every nook and crany for health, ammo, and access keys, and generally advancing as methodicaly as you can.

You've also got to figure out whats happening. As you make your way through the different levels of the base, the pilot is revealed via the PDAs you pick up, and in breif conversations with the few NPCs who werent "turned" by the satanic attack. To make your way through the inevitably sealed-off access doors between levels, you'll have to read through email that progressively reveals a conspiracy of apocalypse proportions - the nefarious scheme of phsycotic Dr. Betruger, UACs cheif scientist, who's perverted a teleportion to open up a portal into hell-like demension. (Oh and if you didnt notice Dr. betruger is also keen on transporting his hellion army to earth.)

Gear is an absolute premium. All the old Doom weapons are back, but preciously rationed, and with an ever windling supply of ammo for each. The shotgun is your basic in close sledge hammer, while the assault rifle is your best down hallway exchanges with armed zombie marines. The chaingun provides a heavy punch for those hectic occasions when you need to yell "LETS ROCKKKK!" The plasma rifle was my personal fav, dealin streams of fiery blue death, although it runs out of ammo quickly. The rocket launcher scores devastating hits at a distance, while the stock pistol is suitable for minor enemies and desperate last stands. (And as for the BFG 9000 - you'll have to wait a bit before you get to arm it, but the wait is well worth it.)

But theres no need to worry that Doom 3 is as slow as spliner cell - hardly a minute goes by without a furious exchange of hostiles with some manner demonic beastie, imps, Hellknights, and Archviles are all back to shock and awe you with viscerally jarring attacks, and the endless stream of zombies and scuttling nasties gives you plenty to chew on (and chew up). The gallery of grotesquerie is the product of almost limitless imagination for horors - spiders that make your flesh crawl, infant "cherubs" mutated with fly wings, and other unamable terrors that blight the corridors of the possessed base

TO LAUNCH A THOUSAND PC PURCHASES

Early in the game, you're tasked with sprinting outside the mars Facility ( with rapidly depleting air canisters) in search of the next airlock. It was here that i really started to notice what I was seeing was graphics superiorty that not even current hot tech showcases like Far Cry could match. Dust blew around the martian surface and the dull brown/red hue of the sand and the twisted metal of shredded structures all semed so perfectly plausible.

Each girder, door, and window adds tangible substance to each scene, and even th \e effect of your flashlight shinging into a drakened corner looks ridiculosly real - as the light floods through a room , swinging back andforth, shadows are cast perfectly; dust particles gently drift into the cone of the flash light , eerily visible. And these are just the basics of the enviroment: just wait until you enter the depths of hell, and dive into some of the later mass melees,\. Doom 3, with all due awareness of hyperbole, is the best looking game you've ever seen.

Not surprising you'll need a monster system to render these monsters in all their intracetly textured glory. But the ability to play Doom 3 with all its visual magic maxed out is really a good excuse to trade up. A P4 3GHzwith a Georce 5950- class card will see u through okay. One of our test systems had a geforce 6800 ultra and ran flawlessly at 1024x 768 with high detail. (A higher level of quality and resolution is available , but the PC to run it well isnt)nning with a geforce4 MX card and 512 Mb RAM, the texture detail was great, although the game was choppier in spots.

Bottom line: If Far Cry didnt convince you, then Doom 3 should - the time to upgrade to a next generation 3D chip , or even an all new rig, is now.

SOUND, FURY...AND SCARES

While I was expecting amazing graphics, it was the sound effects and sound design that had me reeling. Footsteps echo spookily down halls; monsters issue bloodcurling shrieks; every hallway has an audible drip of menace and dread. Doom 3 is the reason to own surround sound speakers. The collective impact of sound design on the whole expierience cant be overstated, adding to the urge to switch out ll th lights, close the curtains, crank up the voulume, and let yourself be scared s***less.

And you will be jolted right out of your seat. I'm not going to spoil any of the socks here, but there were at least four occasions where i lunged back in y chair. Lead designer Tim wiltis is inside your head like a phycologist - and just when hes let you think you can lower your guard, he sticks the psychic shiv right into your nervous system.

Even when the scares arent heart stopping , theres a constant, simmering anxiety at each and every step. You basically subjecting yourself to a 20 hour cariac episode. At times, death brought sweet, momentery respite from the fear drenched mayhem.

The zombie plagued space station is creepy enough , but about mid way through the game you make a teleporteraided detour to hell. The whole feel of the game changes utterly - if you thought you were in desperate straits before, you now find yourself in a balls shriveling nightmare netherworld. (With no weapons!)

It's all leading up to a knees knocking climatic spelunk into the archealogical ruins beneath mars base where you enter a final showdown against evildoers amid the remnants of a fallen martian civilization. As the massive fright lifter descends so agonizingly slowly into the darkness, you may find yourself as I did, cursing out loud at the grim hold this game has on you.

Does Doom 3 have any missteps maybe just one; its attemps at humor feel way out of place. there are a few lame running gagas: PDA spam and an uber-nerdy string of emails between members of a roleplaying club. (The spam gag actually becomes a puzzle that requires you jump out of the game and use you web browser to find a code. Huh?) In one appalling instance, you even even become privy in a tounge-in-cheek directive by arcvillian Dr. Betruger, advising hellions on the proper way to prepare virgin sacrifices. These limp jokes server only to dump me out of the games carefully calibrated dread machine.

But no matter: The rest is all dynamite. Doom 3 took me 23 hours to complete on the medium difficulty setting. (For all those who rumored that the game would be over in a few hours- you couldnt be more wrong.) And for those 23 hours, you will never expirience a dull moment. Or even a less than mesmerizing one. Doom 3 is a masterpiece of art form - staying true to the frantic legacy of the Doom series, while ambitiously reaching new hieghts and bashing down the doors of the next generation of PC shooter. The bar is raised. Lets see someone else climb over it- Dan Morris

Warm Pudgy
14th Jul 2004, 11:52 AM
hahaha
but really, i found this on irc, not some p2p network
so even if it is lesbians, its 607 megs of lesbians

Twisted Metal
14th Jul 2004, 12:01 PM
"Does Doom 3 have any missteps maybe just one; its attempts at humor feel way out of place. There are a few lame running gags: PDA spam and an uber-nerdy string of emails between members of a roleplaying club. (The spam gag actually becomes a puzzle that requires you jump out of the game and use you web browser to find a code. Huh?) "

:con:

tool
14th Jul 2004, 12:09 PM
Disappointing that PCGamer didnt make any mention of the multiplayer

DeDpoet|BuF
14th Jul 2004, 12:09 PM
here is some more infomation to wet your pants over

while I really want a scan, this will have to do

/me poops self

NeoNite
14th Jul 2004, 12:16 PM
Hmmm I might get the game now. Anyway, I'll probably only be able to play it around december...
I can wait though.

[Ci]Mazza
14th Jul 2004, 12:18 PM
Sounds good. I wonder if it will be as much fun as painkiller.

tool
14th Jul 2004, 12:23 PM
EDITED ONCE AGAIN

looks like the image is fake. because I also found a second one that shows 12 discs.

http://d3c.ngz-network.de/contentimages/misc/news/fakeornot/12cds.jpg

DeeperShade
14th Jul 2004, 12:30 PM
I dont think that's fake tool. None of the bits you point out look 'pasted'.
See the bottom of the box, underneith the "A MASTERPIECE OF THE ARTFORM" bit, you can see the reflection from the table's woodgrain.

edit - The original doesn't look fake, but the 12 disc is. For example, how do you fit 12 cd's into a slim disc box?

ShadowKi][er
14th Jul 2004, 12:34 PM
tOOl, could you remove the second image? It's quite obvious that somebody was taking the piss.

Edit: Why are there old chainsaws on Mars? :mad: :mad: :mad:

tool
14th Jul 2004, 12:34 PM
yeah that is a good point. Even if both are fake, I am going to assume that the likely number of CDs are going to be six, because it comes on DVD. Five discs equal about a DVD.

Cap'n Beeb
14th Jul 2004, 12:37 PM
Well... six discs/one DVD... I'd say something around the area of 2.5-3.2Gb. That's about what Far Cry was, and I don't remember what UT2k4 was.

tool
14th Jul 2004, 12:37 PM
ok here is the six disc version pic uploaded because it was to big originally for the forum.

UT2k4 is on six CDs, but the sixth one was barely a full CD

DeDpoet|BuF
14th Jul 2004, 12:47 PM
it prolly is going to be 6 discs, although the pic is a fake, check out the forums in PlanetDoom:
pic: http://www.planetdoom.com/potd/index.asp?id=468442
thread:http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=2308&tid=1417208&p=35

apparently it was done by one of the guys there alias RosOne

Balton
14th Jul 2004, 01:22 PM
holly golly, that review sure is good! I WANT TO PLAY THAT ****ING GAME!
although I prolly need some more ram :(

ShadowKi][er
14th Jul 2004, 02:31 PM
LOL IT SI TEH GOLD :lol: :mad: :mad: :(

Name: Todd Hollenshead
Email:
Description: CEO
Project:
Last Updated: 07/14/2004 12:36:49 (Central Standard Time)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7-14-2004 11:52 AM CDT

IT'S DONE!!!!!!!

Yes, this is the official word that DOOM 3 has been code released and has been approved for manufacturing!
It won't be long now until the anticipation ends and the PH34R begins ;-) We literally just hung up with
Activision and have confirmed that our latest release candidate has been mutually approved and is finally
GOLD. Thanks to everyone for their patience (yeah right! =) and for everyone at id, Activision and our
numerous partners for helping us create what I believe is absolutely the best game we have ever made.

So, the next question is release dates. Retailers in the States will be allowed to pick up games starting
at 12:01 AM on August 3rd. The official street date is actually August 5th in the U.S.A., but some of
your favorite stores will probably have it early for those of you who have to have it first. Check with
your local retailer for that information.

Internationally, the game will take a few more days to make it to the store shelves. The UK will probably get it first, on or about August 6th. Everywhere else will probably be Friday, August 13th (que Twilight Zone Theme) or close to that date, with just a few exceptions (e.g. Russia and Poland). This isn't
because we don't have love for you folks outside the U.S., but the localization and manufacturing process
takes a bit longer outside the U.S. where we will have JVC run 24/7 to get the units built. I guess the
European manufacturers prefer to give their employees nights and weekends off. Go figure!

The champagne is flowing here at id and smiles abound!

I'll update again with some DOOM 3 preparation tips (not what hardware to buy - you'll have to wait for
a programmer for that sort of thing). In the meantime, I want to see those "DOOM 3 GOLD!!!" threads set
new records for swamping message board servers, destroying productivity, and post counts ;-)

Recapping today's headlines....DOOM 3 GOLD!!!
:lol:

BuzWeaver
14th Jul 2004, 03:22 PM
I'm looking forward to it.

Sir_Brizz
14th Jul 2004, 03:26 PM
Yet one more reason HL2 will suck...god thing I'm getting it free (bought a Radeon).

tool
14th Jul 2004, 03:29 PM
I'm still buying half-life 2 as well. I'm getting both games.

Sir_Brizz
14th Jul 2004, 03:30 PM
HL2 is just out too late. It's ridiculously late.

DraZtiK
14th Jul 2004, 03:46 PM
I'm still buying half-life 2 as well. I'm getting both games.

OMGWTFITSOUTTOO!

http://www.yay-extreme.com/hl2coverandcds.jpg

ubersoldier87
14th Jul 2004, 03:53 PM
Personally I'm alot more excited about HL2, but I'm still gonna get D3.

BulletProof
14th Jul 2004, 03:55 PM
HL2 is just out too late. It's ridiculously late.
As long as its good all will be forgiven...for me at least.

On another note, 20-25 hours? Didn't id officials say a while back that it would be around a 10 hour game? If so I wonder if it was a trick to get Valve to shorten HL2 (I remember hearing 40 hrs for HL2 at first but have heard 25hrs since). Valve might be in deep ****. Two of the biggest things they had on D3 was the playtime and being able to be played on older systems. Losing one of those and coupled with the delays might seriously hurt them. Then again there are millions of people who will buy it no matter how short/bad/late it turns out. /sigh :hmm:

tool
14th Jul 2004, 03:56 PM
Counter-strike 2 will sell half-life 2 if the HL-2 single player were to suck. But the HL-2 single player isnt going to suck, I guarrantee it. And Counter-strike 2 is still going to sell HL-2 aswell.

Orochi
14th Jul 2004, 04:22 PM
what are the minimum specs

and most importantly does it come with an editor?

ShadowKi][er
14th Jul 2004, 04:43 PM
OMGWTFITSOUTTOO!

<IMAGE>

Well played, sir.

Shock6822
14th Jul 2004, 05:28 PM
Looks like my 1.6 Ghz with Geforce4 64 meg card is already obsolete...forget upgrading, I can't keep up with the times lol.

Sir_Brizz
14th Jul 2004, 06:39 PM
I'm sure HL2 is going to be alright, but it's so ridiculously late that they already lost half of their sales.

Bean316
14th Jul 2004, 06:41 PM
I think I'll another half gig of Ram, and I'll be solid.

phatcat
14th Jul 2004, 06:50 PM
DAMN! id software beat HL2 in the "too damn long to devlope our new FPS engine" race.

I'm on a ATI 9800 256mem, 1 gig sys mem, and a 2.7 GHZ processor. I should get about 10 FPS ;)

BoboThePenguin
14th Jul 2004, 07:52 PM
I'm on a ATI 9800 256mem, 1 gig sys mem, and a 2.7 GHZ processor. I should get about 10 FPS You'll be able to be in the medium range rendering system with full detail with fairly good proformance from what I've heard.

phatcat
14th Jul 2004, 08:20 PM
I was being facetious (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-05-07&res=l)

Twisted Metal
14th Jul 2004, 08:22 PM
I don't think Doom 3 will be anywhere near as good as HL2. I just watched the HL2 video and holy crap chills went through my body ;)

Doom 3 from what I can tell is mostly dark and gray and dreary indoor environments but HL2 has so much more. Huge outdoor environments, broad daylight, awesome city settings. It just looks so cool in my eyes.

More importantly is the multiplayer. Doom 3 has what, like 4 player multiplayer? And only 5 maps? Let's face it it's not gonna be a very good multiplayer game. That's where HL2 will come in and kick some insane amounts of ass. Half-Life and it's mods have proven to be the most popular multiplayer game of all time and Half-Life 2 is just gonna improve on that. I can't wait!

I never was a big fan of the Doom series, they were definitely fun to play, but games like Half-Life just blow it away IMO.

tool
14th Jul 2004, 08:36 PM
Half-life 2 didnt take THAT long to make. I don't know what you guys are getting worked up over. The only major delay was September last year. Otherwise Half-life 2 up until September was in developement for like a year or something. Atleast its not on the same grounds as Duke Nukem Forever, or one of Blizzards titles where games like Diablo got delayed for two years. After September a release date was never set for HL-2. Just that it would be 2004.

cyberg][dan
14th Jul 2004, 08:44 PM
I heard Doom 3 went gold today.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/blammo.pl%3fmode=archive%26oneday=true%26display=20040714#50067

Sir_Brizz
14th Jul 2004, 08:51 PM
Half-life 2 didnt take THAT long to make. I don't know what you guys are getting worked up over. The only major delay was September last year. Otherwise Half-life 2 up until September was in developement for like a year or something. Atleast its not on the same grounds as Duke Nukem Forever, or one of Blizzards titles where games like Diablo got delayed for two years. After September a release date was never set for HL-2. Just that it would be 2004.
It had a December, April and June release date before the "source was stolen".

Half-Life 2 has been in development since like Quake 3 came out. Believe me it's true. HL2 is why Team Fortress 2 was never released when it was announced in 1999.

Iron Archer
14th Jul 2004, 09:14 PM
went ahead and pre-bought my copy today... now the waiting game...

Zenda
14th Jul 2004, 09:15 PM
Well ... when I get my new system, i am most definitely getting this one ..

AFTER I get UT2K4:)

DeDpoet|BuF
15th Jul 2004, 01:42 AM
went ahead and pre-bought my copy today... now the waiting game...

lol, i did the same thing :tup:

i also just ordered an athlonxp 3k+ (up from my 1700+) for <$120. sweet deal on newegg

that should help, despite the fact I've got a Geforce4Ti4200 / 128MB VRAM.
game should be decent with settings turned down....

spineblaZe
15th Jul 2004, 02:06 AM
Well ... when I get my new system, i am most definitely getting this one ..

AFTER I get UT2K4:)
Roger that! :tup:

discreet
15th Jul 2004, 02:08 AM
http://home.cfl.rr.com/munkiens/doom3-1.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/munkiens/doom3-2.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/munkiens/doom3-3.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/munkiens/doom3-4.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/munkiens/doom3-5.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/munkiens/doom3-6.jpg

scans of the review

Twisted Metal
15th Jul 2004, 03:01 AM
So they do mention the multiplayer.

ShadowKi][er
15th Jul 2004, 03:24 AM
http://home.cfl.rr.com/munkiens/doom3-1.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/munkiens/doom3-2.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/munkiens/doom3-3.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/munkiens/doom3-4.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/munkiens/doom3-5.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/munkiens/doom3-6.jpg

scans of the review

:y5: You're a god among crappy forum posters.

Holy ****, Id really have been hiding the goods from us in the trailers and screenshots. EDGE2!11

NeoNite
15th Jul 2004, 06:40 AM
The soulcube, a new weapon...

Predcaliber
15th Jul 2004, 07:44 AM
guys guys!

how longer you have wait for a game, how bigger the chance is that it wil dissapoint you :(

I am sure its a nice game, but not as great as it was when it was announced.

its their own stupid fault everythime they bring those games out 2 late I think :rolleyes:

BoboThePenguin
15th Jul 2004, 08:12 AM
guys guys!

how longer you have wait for a game, how bigger the chance is that it wil dissapoint you :(

I am sure its a nice game, but not as great as it was when it was announced.

its their own stupid fault everythime they bring those games out 2 late I think :rolleyes:
I think it's going to be great and I'm keeping my hopes up. :o

DeDpoet|BuF
15th Jul 2004, 08:22 AM
PCG imho, always seems to hit reviews spot on. I put wieght on their judgements - so if they give a title %90+ (which is very uncommon), then you know that it's gonna be a good (if not great) game.

whether it's the end-all be-all of titles is personal opinion/taste and an effect of expectation. If you hype it up too much, you'll end up disappointed. If you have too much 'chip' (i.e. 'this game will suck'), you will definitely find something - no matter how small or insignificant - to have a cow over.

so judging from the review, the status, and the gathering of excitement - I'd say the best thing to do would be to temper self for a good, fun title.

B
15th Jul 2004, 08:28 AM

Define too late. They're right on time, they delivered it when it was done. Or would u rather have the half assed version they had last year? big :rolleyes: back at ya :p

Predcaliber
15th Jul 2004, 08:34 AM
they sure have wait whith the release of farcry and Unreal 2 and stuff, cm'on its ID for **** sake.

Duke Nukem Forever...

need I to say more? ;)

Balton
15th Jul 2004, 08:39 AM
they sure have wait whith the release of farcry and Unreal 2 and stuff, cm'on its ID for **** sake.

Duke Nukem Forever...

need I to say more? ;)

and your argument is?

DeeperShade
15th Jul 2004, 08:39 AM
yes, you need to say a lot more.
For example, explain what DNF has in common with Doom3?
Doom3 is pretty much on deadline.
DNF doesn't have a deadline.

Oh, and really this isn't a knock against you, but type a little slower or read it through at the end.. There's a few mistakes in your grammar that make your posts hard to understand.. :)

B
15th Jul 2004, 08:40 AM
So what that they waited (or is it fishished the game instead of waited?) do u think the game got worse because of that?
As I said, they (should) bring the games out when they (the developers) think the game is done, no matter how bad the 'fans' want it. If they wouldn't, we would only get games like UT2003. And nobody wants that..

Predcaliber
15th Jul 2004, 09:39 AM
and your argument is?

DNF is 2day nothing compare Farcry or unreal2, thats just because they waited so long bringing it out finally I think.

Plz its what I think, my opinion, it arent the real facts. ;)

Wat I am trying to say is that ID sure dont hold back to bring out games very late.

What I think is that you get the effect that in the beginning it looks stunning, but after 2 years it looks normal compare to the other games that were brought out.

If it was up to me, I wouldn spend 50% of the time developing a new engine, but just to improve the engine a bit more, and spend the rest of the time makeing maps/weapons/playability better.

also the biggest reason I still play UT instead of Ut2k3/2k4. :)

There's a few mistakes in your grammar that make your posts hard to understand.. :)

I am trying to make it better everyday of my life, trust me ;)

Balton
15th Jul 2004, 09:45 AM
DNF is 2day nothing compare Farcry or unreal2, thats just because they waited so long bringing it out finally I think.

Plz its what I think, my opinion, it arent the real facts. ;)

Wat I am trying to say is that ID sure dont hold back to bring out games very late.

What I think is that you get the effect that in the beginning it looks stunning, but after 2 years it looks normal compare to the other games that were brought out.

If it was up to me, I wouldn spend 50% of the time developing a new engine, but just to improve the engine a bit more, and spend the rest of the time makeing maps/weapons/playability better.

also the biggest reason I still play UT instead of Ut2k3/2k4. :)

please do mankind a favour and go for the darwin award

FaT CaM
15th Jul 2004, 09:48 AM
I dont think that's fake tool. None of the bits you point out look 'pasted'.
See the bottom of the box, underneith the "A MASTERPIECE OF THE ARTFORM" bit, you can see the reflection from the table's woodgrain.

edit - The original doesn't look fake, but the 12 disc is. For example, how do you fit 12 cd's into a slim disc box?

And considering the font is from diablo 2....

BTW, The chick in your sig....pwn, shes in an FHM of mine.

BoboThePenguin
15th Jul 2004, 10:09 AM
:lol::tup:

B
15th Jul 2004, 10:12 AM
Yeh sure, they have games that are ready, but they keep them on the shelf and don't sell them just to annoy us...

I'm glad it's not up to you. They improved the engine, maps, weapons and playability of UT and the result is 2k3/2k4.
And don't u think there is a good reason they develop new engines? These include new techniques impossible to implement in the old engines.

Oh, btw DNF isn't real. :p

Zarkazm
15th Jul 2004, 10:23 AM
Yet one more reason HL2 will suck...god thing I'm getting it free (bought a Radeon).Geeze, you realize that you make the crowd at No Mutants Allowed (http://www.nma-fallout.com/) sound balanced and objective in comparison?

Half Life 2 bears no similarity to Doom3... leave alone FarCry. It will have a unique setting, and gameplay, great physics and it's also looking damn good. If you don't care about it, FINE, but why keep bringing it up? Bitch. Bitchy bitch.

I hope HL2 will be great, and I am sure Doom3 is great, and they can co-exist perfectly well without negative influence on each other.

Predcaliber
15th Jul 2004, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Balton:

:lol::tup:

Go **** your mama :B

Yeh sure, they have games that are ready, but they keep them on the shelf and don't sell them just to annoy us...

No but they will know that when games like farcry comes out they aren't getting that much selling records, so they decide to wait a bit longer.

And don't u think there is a good reason they develop new engines?

no
ut2k3 is absolutly one of the greatest dissapointments of my life.

and today the games with their great engines like farcy looks cool, but they are absolutly not worth $50.

its of course my opinion, but I think there are much more older games that deserve those $50 way more than those games. :(

Freon
15th Jul 2004, 10:56 AM
Given that we'll all have forgotten Doom 3 in a few months, I'm sure HL2 will co-exist very well, taking as much room as possible :p

B
15th Jul 2004, 11:01 AM
Predcaliber, Don't be rude to Balton and BoBo, u kinda asked for it.

And u are contradicting yourself:
Thats what they did with UT and still u don't like it? And u also don't like them developing new engines? U should stop playing games :p

Every new game costs about 50 Euro's (I recently bought Soldiers Heroes of ww2 for 45,=) In my opinion prices like that are ok. Far Cry for example was developed by quite a big team, spending a couple of years on it. They need to make some money once their product hits the market. Selling their top product for a budget price isn't gonna make that money. Neither will releasing their top product in a period when gamers in general won't buy (i.e. Summertime). Sure they wait a bit then, nothing wrong with that, it's called Marketing.

BoboThePenguin
15th Jul 2004, 11:11 AM
Sorry, I was just lolling :)

NeoNite
15th Jul 2004, 11:22 AM
Say, there's no chance of a doom3 demo being released afterwards?

BoboThePenguin
15th Jul 2004, 11:27 AM
Say, there's no chance of a doom3 demo being released afterwards?
Yep, they're releasing a demo :)

Cap'n Beeb
15th Jul 2004, 11:34 AM
|__>PrEdC/\LiBeR<__| bashed his head on the keyboard to say:Go **** your mama :B

Oh what's this, a grand champion of the internet gracing us with his e-presence? Oh damn, looks like we're in for it now my fellow internet goers!

No but they will know that when games like farcry comes out they aren't getting that much selling records, so they decide to wait a bit longer.

Game sales are not strictly related to OMG DOODS IT USES THE PIXEL SHADER 3 TECH HURRRR MUST BUY. Try again champ.

no
ut2k3 is absolutly one of the greatest dissapointments of my life.

I'm sure epic gives a HUGE heaping pile of chunky placenta over what you, a single person thinks. Not to say Epic isn't a decent company, mind you.

and today the games with their great engines like farcy looks cool, but they are absolutly not worth $50.

Again, graphics do not make a game, they are merely part of it.
its of course my opinion, but I think there are much more older games that deserve those $50 way more than those games. :(
It is my opinion that you need to do and realize the following:

A) Learn to spell and use correct grammar.
B) Realize the world isn't going to suck you off just because you think it should.
C) Graduate from the third grade and pick up the new text of insults.
D) Learn that spelling your name with slashes and brackets and finger paintings done with your own feces will never make you cool, despite how much you hope it will.
E) Consume vast amounts of glass. Darwin is waiting, chief.

tool
15th Jul 2004, 11:39 AM
beerbaron just laid the biggest ****ing smack down. :eek:

BoboThePenguin
15th Jul 2004, 11:40 AM
Beeb, the real american hero. :p

NeoNite
15th Jul 2004, 11:56 AM
Yep, they're releasing a demo :)

Hmmm no news about it here:

http://www.doom3.com/

You'd expect it though.

I've seen someone mention another big site for doom3 news, I'll edit this post.

Which site did you get the demo news anyway?

Checked newdoom, nothing yet.

Ok, found something here:
http://www.planetdoom.com/doom3/faq/#engine

Q3test was great! Any chance of a DOOM test?
Apparently there will be no test before launch. id Software has opted to not have one this time around.

No idea when the previous update was.

DeDpoet|BuF
15th Jul 2004, 11:58 AM
i think the game is worth $50. The brains needed for the type of programming algorithms to achieve visuals & audio alone speak for themselves. Unless you are a programmer and have intimate specialization in that specific area, you'd have no HL2 or D3. Guys like that don't come cheap in the first place. Saying that a game like D3 isn't worth $50 shows lack of appreciation on the sheer magnitude of smarts it takes to apply science, math, programming, and a whole slew of other things (you ever tried to write up drivers that go across multiple OS platforms and HW configs?).

You may yourself not want to shell out that $$ for the game, but it is worth that much for the technology (gameplay aside).

Romulan
15th Jul 2004, 12:14 PM
7-14-2004 10:19 PM CDT

A few bottles of champagne later (so excuse the typos)....

First of all, thank you to everyone who sent congratulatory notes on the GOLD announcement. I speak for
everyone at id when I say I wish I could respond to everyone personally, but hopefully this general note
can convey how much we sincerely appreciate the sentiment from everyone out there waiting for the game.

A few people have reminded me of some details omitted from my initial update:

Mac and Linux: Unfortunately I don't have dates for either of these. However, Linux binaries will be
available very soon after the PC game hits store shelves. There are no plans for boxed Linux games.
More remains to be done for the OSX version of DOOM 3 and that will take some time. We won't release
the OSX version until it's just as polished as the PC version. The date for OSX DOOM 3 remains "when it's
done", but I can confirm that it's definitely coming.

Demo: our priority was finishing the game first and now we are turning our attention to the demo. I
don't have any information to share regarding any specific content, but I don't believe that we have
ever disappointed in that regard in the past. We will release the demo as soon as it's done, but this
probably won't happen until after the game has arrived on U.S. store shelves.

Last, but not least, the id Store: we will have copies of DOOM 3 available, but only after we get them.
I'm sure that some of the hardcore game retailers will get them even before we do. Check our website for
updates on this. We certainly appreciate everyone who has helped to make the id Store a huge success this
year. By the way, more DOOM 3 T-Shirts just arrived, so those popular items are back in stock and will be
available this week.

I understand that people have lots and lots of questions. We're working on pulling together some form of
an official FAQ, but even though we're done we still have several responsibilities that are urgent as the
game heads for retail. Please bear with us on this.

I know I owe you those preparation tips, but they will have to wait until tomorrow.

The latest .plan update. So to sum up: Linux almost immediately after release (OS X much later), a demo after the full release, and an faq/tip list (hopefully regarding hardware) tomorrow(?).

BoboThePenguin
15th Jul 2004, 12:16 PM
:stupid: that's where I got it from :D

Sir_Brizz
15th Jul 2004, 12:19 PM
Unreal 1 took almost 5 years to develop. Unreal Tournament took another year and a half. In effect, since Unreal 1 is 98.5% of UT's codebaase, you could say that Unreal Tournament was 6 and a half years in the making.

My reference to HL2 has to do with rlease dates and nothing more.

NeoNite
15th Jul 2004, 12:24 PM
Ah I see. Thanks Romulan, and Penguinthebobo.. eh...
Silly penguins anyway.

B
15th Jul 2004, 01:23 PM
Darwin is waiting, chief.

:tup: BeeB has spoken :D

Predcaliber
15th Jul 2004, 08:26 PM
whoo beeb, the man with the balls ah? making fun of peepz grammar

who you think you are? you are all proud of him?

if you want to have a discussion, than have one, and dont make bull**** out of it, specialy you beerbaron.

you peepz say that I dont have arguments, the most things ive heard so far from him are insults too me and stuff about my grammer.

wel before you trying to instult me agian, let me explain what other peepz just said, a reply like beeb did wasnt absolutly necessary too me, and a bit short-sighted I think.

You said I dindt had an argument, how about this one then?

Predcaliber, Don't be rude to Balton and BoBo, u kinda asked for it.

Oh what makes you think that?
and besides, I meant it sarcasticly with the emoticon.

And u are contradicting yourself:

Thats what they did with UT and still u don't like it? And u also don't like them developing new engines? U should stop playing games :p

UT is absolutly no new engine compare the Unreal engine.
Cmon, Its an improved unreal engine.
Unreal: 1998
UT:1999

UT2k3 is an whole other chapter with a complete new engine, wich has nothing to do with the original UT.

Every new game costs about 50 Euro's (I recently bought Soldiers Heroes of ww2 for 45,=) In my opinion prices like that are ok. Far Cry for example was developed by quite a big team, spending a couple of years on it. They need to make some money once their product hits the market. Selling their top product for a budget price isn't gonna make that money. Neither will releasing their top product in a period when gamers in general won't buy (i.e. Summertime). Sure they wait a bit then, nothing wrong with that, it's called Marketing.

like I said Its what I think,not a fact but new games like 4 xample agian Farcy, you play it once, maby twice and than you are finished.

are you sure you want to spend your $50 at it?
Well I wouldnt, but thats what I think :)

Oh what's this, a grand champion of the internet gracing us with his e-presence? Oh damn, looks like we're in for it now my fellow internet goers!

bull****, youre just saying some stupid stupid stuff

Game sales are not strictly related to OMG DOODS IT USES THE PIXEL SHADER 3 TECH HURRRR MUST BUY. Try again champ.

yeah thats why most new games have a great engine but are way too short or dont offer really much.

I'm sure epic gives a HUGE heaping pile of chunky placenta over what you, a single person thinks. Not to say Epic isn't a decent company, mind you.

you are a ut2k4 player arent you?

Again, graphics do not make a game, they are merely part of it.

yes and thats why I think when teams are building on new engines too long their time to improve the other elements will be extrodanary decreased.

A) Learn to spell and use correct grammar.
you dont have to tell me
B) Realize the world isn't going to suck you off just because you think it should.
bull****, makes no sense
C) Graduate from the third grade and pick up the new text of insults.
I was not insulting, except the only line with the emoticon so it was ment sarcasticly, but I am sorry, peepz didint understand that.
I think you are insulting right now.
D) Learn that spelling your name with slashes and brackets and finger paintings done with your own feces will never make you cool, despite how much you hope it will.
1 oh I am sorry, I am not doing things because others dont think its cool
2 the name is in his original state, mind your own business when it comes to my name, cause you dont know a thing about it.
E) Consume vast amounts of glass. Darwin is waiting, chief.

oh now youve hurt my feelings r something

TossMonkey
15th Jul 2004, 08:41 PM
Pred, one thing you do not want to do around here is insult long standing members of the forum (even if they insult you first). It won't count towards you and will make you look like a troll, you should consider lurking for a few months.

Also, I agree with what you are trying to say about Doom 3 and how it will not have the same effect on the industry as when it was supposed to be released last year.

Id software works like this : carmack spends all his time creating a great looking engine while the rest of the team work on the game. The game content gets a lot more attention than you'd think.

And Duke Nukem Forever is a different game by a different team. Do not compare apples and oranges. And yes I understand that this game too will not have the same impact it should have if it gets released soon after it being 7 years late (I think).

Now, go and rest a while.

PsychoMoggieBagpuss
15th Jul 2004, 08:48 PM
Cool it people or I start hitting people with tool.

Back On-topic

w000000000000000t

/me strokes his x800xt platinum .........soon my precious, soon.........

Bean316
15th Jul 2004, 09:13 PM
Doom3 was in development forever, but they never made false promises on release dates. HL2 was in dev since HL, and they are quick to release all sorts of release dates that never come to fruition (games included...where is TF2...a-holes). I still think HL2 will be great, but when they start to go Derek Smart on us is when I lose a little faith.

B
16th Jul 2004, 03:17 AM
Oh what makes you think that?
and besides, I meant it sarcasticly with the emoticon.
Ehm lemme see, You and your contradicting arguements maybe?

UT is absolutly no new engine compare the Unreal engine.
Cmon, Its an improved unreal engine.
Unreal: 1998
UT:1999

UT2k3 is an whole other chapter with a complete new engine, wich has nothing to do with the original UT.
Really? Read up on the material and u see it's still the same,but improved engine.

like I said Its what I think,not a fact but new games like 4 xample agian Farcy, you play it once, maby twice and than you are finished.
are you sure you want to spend your $50 at it?
Well I wouldnt, but thats what I think :)
Well what would u spend for it then? and if u don't mind me asking, how old are you? I think the price u are willing to pay for a game depends on your age/income... If you're a 15 year old kid (which I suspect) 50 euro's is alot of money, it still is alot when you're 26 but a bit easier to spend I guess..

bull****, makes no sense
Exactly, so don't act like it.

Oh and really ask for a namechange ;) :p

Balton
16th Jul 2004, 03:17 AM
I want to bear beebs children

PsychoMoggieBagpuss
16th Jul 2004, 04:07 AM
Play nice Meelobee/Balton :stick:

B
16th Jul 2004, 04:39 AM
Always :)

Predcaliber
16th Jul 2004, 05:22 AM
Pred, one thing you do not want to do around here is insult long standing members of the forum (even if they insult you first). It won't count towards you and will make you look like a troll, you should consider lurking for a few months.

I am sorry, but you are really trying to say that I should say nothing because it is an long standig member? :con:

Really? Read up on the material and u see it's still the same,but improved engine.

cmon, how can 2k3 be an improved engine?
Unreal to UT, k I understand that, well I dont know it for sure ( played2k3 4 times), but I can see that ut2k3 looks way different than UT, are you sure you are correct?

If you're a 15 year old kid (which I suspect) 50 euro's is alot of money,

18... shame to me hear you were thinking that :shake:

I think it doesnt matter about what game you are talking, $50 is way too much money for a game I think.

this is an old discussion, about piratery, copying cd's and the rest.

plz guys, I want to talk normally about it, so dont start a thing like beerbaron did.
and if, if there was something that I insulted peepz with, I am terrible sorry for that, trust me :)

B
16th Jul 2004, 05:34 AM
Cmon, how can 2k3 be an improved engine?
Unreal to UT, k I understand that, well I dont know it for sure ( played2k3 4 times), but I can see that ut2k3 looks way different than UT, are you sure you are correct?

Yes I am sure. Why are u even discussing it when u don't know what u talk about? :shake:

18... shame to me hear you were thinking that :shake:
Sorry it's the way u post, and your avatar doesn't really help :p ;)

I think it doesnt matter about what game you are talking, $50 is way too much money for a game I think.
this is an old discussion, about piratery, copying cd's and the rest.
I think u mix 2 different discussions. The one we were on was about game prices, not piracy. What would u pay max for a game then?

Predcaliber
16th Jul 2004, 05:39 AM
Yes I am sure. Why are u even discussing it when u don't know what u talk about? :shake:

Cause Its extr hard to believe that 2k3 is an improved engine, and I still believe its an complete new engine.
only If you quote something from epic (of you really up to do that ;)) that I should keep my mouth about that forever

I think u mix 2 different discussions. The one we were on was about game prices, not piracy. What would u pay max for a game then?

one thing leads to another, if the prices are too high, people are going to copy cd's how simple is that? :(

B
16th Jul 2004, 06:20 AM
Cause Its extr hard to believe that 2k3 is an improved engine, and I still believe its an complete new engine.
only If you quote something from epic (of you really up to do that ;)) that I should keep my mouth about that forever

Im not sure if I can find a quote from epic, but I'm 100% sure it's still the same improved engine. Ask around in the 2k3/2k4 forums and people will tell u the same. :)
Edit: Here is the first, posted a couple of posts down.
First, the Unreal Engine has never been rebuilt from scratch since 1994. Even UnrealEngine 3 is based on the same engine as Unreal Engine 1.
I wonder if u keep ur mouth now :o ;)

one thing leads to another, if the prices are too high, people are going to copy cd's how simple is that? :(
U still haven't answered my question, how much would u pay for a game like Doom? And copying happens with all the games, from all the priceranges.

Freon
16th Jul 2004, 07:10 AM
I think we should ban members who use 'u' :p

Metakill
16th Jul 2004, 07:40 AM

Wow, $50 is how much the ET Atari 2600 cartridge cost in 1982. And it was way too expensive! And about 1/100,000th of the work and engineering went in to it. I'm kind of amazed that game prices have stayed so low considering the amount of technological complexity many of them involve. Still the best entertainment value IMO.

PsychoMoggieBagpuss
16th Jul 2004, 07:43 AM
Thats a lot of members :D

tool
16th Jul 2004, 08:39 AM
Is Doom 3 really going to be $50 when it is released? Most PC Games these days are being released for as low as $35, the highest i've seen a PC Game in the last few months is $40.

BoboThePenguin
16th Jul 2004, 08:44 AM
I preordered mine last night and it's going to be $55 :/ (B-Day Present \o/)

Balton
16th Jul 2004, 09:12 AM
Play nice Meelobee/Balton :stick:

did I ever NOt play nice? :D
p.s. I just bought pot worth 50 euro so suck it up

p.p.s not for me though

PsychoMoggieBagpuss
16th Jul 2004, 09:13 AM
I'm in Tokyo at the moment so wouldn't know where to look.

Suck that up biatch :p

spm1138
16th Jul 2004, 09:28 AM
Wow, $50 is how much the ET Atari 2600 cartridge cost in 1982.

That would be the ET Atari 2600 cartridge that Atari ended up burying in the desert because they weren't selling?

Orochi
16th Jul 2004, 09:55 AM
I'm in Tokyo at the moment so wouldn't know where to look.

Suck that up biatch :p

go take a visit to shibuya you silly round eye

go visit the dog

Sir_Brizz
16th Jul 2004, 11:13 AM
First, the Unreal Engine has never been rebuilt from scratch since 1994. Even UnrealEngine 3 is based on the same engine as Unreal Engine 1.

And all the UT games have to do with each other. They are all based upon a Tournament that was started back in the beginning of UT1.

NeoNite
16th Jul 2004, 12:04 PM
I wonder what the new Cyberdemon will look like :)

Does anyone remember their first encounter with cybie? I do.
It was... well, shocking.
I just didn't realise what had hit me. There I was, lying on the floor.. splattered all over.
Pwned by a big, angry demon. His battlecry shake'n'quaked the level. Remember the first time you heard it? Classic moment I tell you.

One of the greatest monsters from the game.

B
16th Jul 2004, 12:11 PM
p.p.s not for me though
rrrriiiiiight :D ;)

SteelX
16th Jul 2004, 12:36 PM
Was the Cyberdemon the one which was the boss of the second episode, and he was this big muscly thing with a hole in the middle of his tummy and rocket launchers for arms?

spm1138
16th Jul 2004, 12:38 PM
http://www.perryweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/alex/doom/cyberdemon.jpg

NeoNite
16th Jul 2004, 12:45 PM
Yeah the first time you meet cybie is the "the tower of bable".
Indeed the end of episode 2.

I just wish they had never included those damned lost souls!

Balton
16th Jul 2004, 01:54 PM
rrrriiiiiight :D ;)
hey, just saw news on tv, they busted on of your fellow dutchies here at one of our airports with 6.2 kg cocaine! If you sit in a glasshouse you shouldnt throw stones :D

frosty
16th Jul 2004, 04:51 PM
It is amazing how many people will spend hundreds of $ upgrading to play a game that will last 24 hours?

novak
16th Jul 2004, 05:03 PM
It's not like we're buying new hardware just for this game. People do other things with their computers, too, you know.

I upgrade my main box once a year and usually spend around 300-400 which isn't too bad. Compared to what I spend on some of my other hobbies, that's pocket change.

->VYRUSS<-
16th Jul 2004, 05:52 PM
Indeed. And if the tools aren't officially released by id/Activision/whomever, just like Doom I and II, people will figure out the specs and such to bring their own content creation programs to the web. I'll devour every last scrap of the mission in this game until I know it like Desolation. And then when the fan-base community releases missions and such for this game, we'll have more to play with.

Balton
16th Jul 2004, 07:01 PM
It's not like we're buying new hardware just for this game. People do other things with their computers, too, you know.

I upgrade my main box once a year and usually spend around 300-400 which isn't too bad. Compared to what I spend on some of my other hobbies, that's pocket change.

there's a batch of new programs who dont run smoothly when I run them simultaneously. Been tinkering with an upgrade for 1 or 3 months, doom3's liek the last drip of water to convey me ;)

phillys
16th Jul 2004, 07:35 PM
To be honest, I've never played the whole of the DOOM game. I've only played the demo, thinking it was the full game :D

Romulan
16th Jul 2004, 11:09 PM
To be honest, I've never played the whole of the DOOM game. I've only played the demo, thinking it was the full game

Knee Deep in the Dead was probably the best episode, IMO. The other two were good, but Sandy Peterson's texturing sometimes left a lot to be desired, which is why I think the console versions of episode two and three are much better. Still, the theme for each episode was quite consistent.

the tower of bable

Babel, hehe. I find it kind of funny that there are about a thousand rockets on the level plus a launcher to fire them, but that is probably the worst weapon to use on the Cyberdemon.

->VYRUSS<-
16th Jul 2004, 11:25 PM
Yeah, rockets are not that great for a cyber-demon, however a shotgun would've been enough if you were good enough at the game. Lost Souls were bad with the rocket launcher. One misfire and a lost soul flying right for you at the right instant meant you had to restart the level. Ugh.

phillys
17th Jul 2004, 12:34 AM
Hmm...would it be too late for me to play it again? On my 9600 PRO? Mmm..nah :D

TomWithTheWeather
17th Jul 2004, 02:19 AM

And all the UT games have to do with each other. They are all based upon a Tournament that was started back in the beginning of UT1.

I don't know for sure, but from what I understand, UE3 was built from the ground up. It uses a lot of the same ideas and features of the previous engines but it has been completely rewritten, which is always so much easier and cleaner than just updating old code. Just think of everything Epic has learned from Unreal1 through UT2k4. I'm sure there were a billion things they wanted to do better since Unreal1 and now with UE3 being rewritten from scratch, it's possible. :)

I think it goes like this: Unreal 1 is the first version. UT is same but with a few updates and tweaks. UT2k3 version engine is basically the same Unreal1/UT engine with a lot of heavy modification and added features such as terrain and static meshes. UT2k4 is UT2k3's engine with mostly a lot of small "under the hood" engine tweaks and enhancements but hardly any new, innovative, obvious features. UE3 is none of the above but borrows from all of the above therefore it is very similar in appearence and functionality while being a completely new, clean body of code. :)

Predcaliber
17th Jul 2004, 07:54 AM
but predcaliber i have a suggestion, maybe it would be better if you
should apologize to balton&bobothepenguin and everything should be allright again i hope ;)

did that

and if, if there was something that I insulted peepz with, I am terrible sorry for that, trust me :)

I wonder if u keep ur mouth now :o ;)

A Promise is a Promise :tup:

U still haven't answered my question, how much would u pay for a game like Doom? And copying happens with all the games, from all the priceranges.

I always tought that the half of the price should be ok, around $25/30.
it might be too high for some peepz, but it would be a good start
:)

But here is a point:
I am not taking my opinion back that $50 is too much money, but I can understand that that they are asking for it, because it is such a hard job to create a game like doom3.

Than, what I find really annoying, are the audio cd's, $25

As I saw you were from Amsterdam, you might have noticed Boris, the winner from Idols NL ;)

he made a cd in 3 weeks! and in the stores they just sell it for $25.

but those girls are going to buy it, and are willingly to pay the full price for it :con: :stick:

ShadowKi][er
17th Jul 2004, 12:09 PM
Video showing new enemies and weapons here (http://home.comcast.net/~chthon/doom3g4.zip). Id have really thrown together some impressive scripted sequences.

Bean316
17th Jul 2004, 12:23 PM
From the link name, I assume that is the video from Pulse...and it was glorious. I think I might have made a Howard Dean scream while watching the footage. It will be glorious!

B
17th Jul 2004, 04:19 PM
But here is a point:
I am not taking my opinion back that $50 is too much money, but I can understand that that they are asking for it, because it is such a hard job to create a game like doom3.

It's alot of money I agree, but it well worth it if u play the game for a while :)

As I saw you were from Amsterdam, you might have noticed Boris, the winner from Idols NL ;)
he made a cd in 3 weeks! and in the stores they just sell it for $25.
but those girls are going to buy it, and are willingly to pay the full price for it :con: :stick:
Crap like that should go straight to the budgetbin, 10 euro is too much even.

NeoNite
17th Jul 2004, 06:09 PM
Yeah, rockets are not that great for a cyber-demon, .

Eh, it works fine for me.
Killing cybie with rockets is fun.

Nothing beats a rocket duel.
Constant adrenaline while you're circle strafing. One hit from big guy, and you're (nearly) death.

Heck, I've seen someone beat the cyberdemon with fists.
On level 32. Took him fifteen minutes. No berserk mode.

If you can manage being that patient, well... :tup: I guess.

Romulan
17th Jul 2004, 07:19 PM
Eh, it works fine for me.
Killing cybie with rockets is fun.

It is of course possible to do. The problem is the cyberdemon does not take splash damage, so it takes a long time to kill him with rockets.

I had never seen that vid before, ShadowKi][er. It was pretty cool seeing all the weapons. For some reason it kind of bugs me that Final Doom never seems to be acknowledged by Id.

NeoNite
17th Jul 2004, 07:30 PM
A long time?
It takes a long time killing it with the pistol,for example.
But rockets well.. maybe sliiiightly longer than with supershotgun.
Heck, guess I'm a patient person.

->VYRUSS<-
17th Jul 2004, 09:42 PM
I wasn't saying at all that rockets were bad for fighting cyber-demons. They're alright, though a plasma rifle would be much better.

Regardless, (if I said it before, I'll say it again) I'm frickin' hyped about this game, Doom III.

ShadowKi][er
18th Jul 2004, 03:04 AM
The video I linked is from G4/TechTV. Rewatched the video... Damn. I'm playing this thing on the hardest difficulty available straight from the start. To think that I actually doubted Id's ability to make a decent game in this day and age. :lol:

The engine is screaming "IRRATIONAL GAMES MAKE FRIGGIN SYSTEM SHOCK 3"

JaFO
18th Jul 2004, 07:16 AM
Only $50 for D3 ?
In the real world (ie : where I live) they're selling it at 50 for pre-orders and 60 after release ...
Given the dollar/Euro-conversion it's close to $70. For a singleplayer-only game like D3 that's too frelling much.

Source : http://www.dynabyte.nl

Release verwacht: 06-08-2004

VOORINSCHRIJVINGSPRIJS 49,95
RELEASE 6 AUGUSTUS 2004
RESERVEER NU!

GEEN KLANTENKAARTKORTING!

PRIJS NA RELEASE WORDT 59,95

So I either would have to gamble on D3 being good and pre-order the game at a 'normal' price.
Or I have to choose between paying an inflated price or getting it after everyone is done playing ...

btw :
According to the latest rumours Half-life 2 will only have CS/Source as multiplayer-option. So no DM or CTF or any other gametype using the HL2's assets. :(

It does look like we're back in the dark ages when multiplayer was an afterthought for basicly SP-only games.

NeoNite
18th Jul 2004, 09:31 AM
though a plasma rifle would be much better.

Obviously it is ;-)
And what is so great about the plasmarifle in doom: no splash damage!

ShadowKi][er
24th Jul 2004, 06:38 AM
ftp://staro.idg.hu/movie/2004/0719-0725/doom3/doom_final1.avi

Video showing some new spoilerific stuff. Cacodemons \o/

Zarkazm
24th Jul 2004, 08:34 AM
Only $50 for D3 ?
In the real world (ie : where I live) they're selling it at 50 for pre-orders and 60 after release ...
Given the dollar/Euro-conversion it's close to $70. For a singleplayer-only game like D3 that's too frelling much.
There is a simple solution: Let it rot in the shelves. If people pay that much for a game, they have too much time and money.

You'll find me playing through Fallout 2 with some UT mods for some action breaks.

SteelX
24th Jul 2004, 12:12 PM
[er']ftp://staro.idg.hu/movie/2004/0719-0725/doom3/doom_final1.avi

How come in that video, near the beginning where it was saying, "In 1994, Id released Doom, and a year later in 1995, they released Doom 2, blah blah blah..",
it never talked about Ultimate Doom or Final Doom? Were they unofficial games or something? Cause I've never played Final Doom, and it doesn't seem to be as popular as the original, and I've hardly ever heard of people talking about it.

NeoNite
24th Jul 2004, 12:21 PM
Final doom was made by Teamtnt, who also made megamappacks such as TNT badlands (deathmatch), Eternal Doom (sp for doom2).
Final Doom is a commercial add-on, consisting out of two episodes each counting 32 levels:

Plutonia
TnT-Evilution

MediocreTangerine
24th Jul 2004, 12:31 PM
Final Doom rocked way more than the levels iD put out, in my opinion. The Plutonia project had some very cool architecture.

Has anyone seen the new Icons video from G4 about Doom 3? There's cacodemon footage :o The floating fruit days are gone, alas :(

NeoNite
24th Jul 2004, 12:34 PM
Hehe, yeah I immediatly linked the caco's to flying strawberries :O)
They're fun.

tool
24th Jul 2004, 12:41 PM
10 more days!

ShadowKi][er
24th Jul 2004, 01:10 PM
Has anyone seen the new Icons video from G4 about Doom 3? There's cacodemon footage :o The floating fruit days are gone, alas :(

That's the video in my previous post, dooder.

On another note, I installed Windows on my computer again after using Linux for 6 months. Good lord what a horrible mistake it was.

Chaser
27th Jul 2004, 12:18 AM
[er']That's the video in my previous post, dooder.

On another note, I installed Windows on my computer again after using Linux for 6 months. Good lord what a horrible mistake it was.

Its different, its from Icons and its like 20 mins long.

OMG OMG Tomato Head Guys!!!! OMG OMG OMG GOMG!!! I cant wait! Suddenly HL2 looks like **** compared to this!

7 Days 11 Hours 42 Minutes and 12 Seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SanitysEdge
27th Jul 2004, 02:18 AM
[er']Video showing new enemies and weapons here (http://home.comcast.net/~chthon/doom3g4.zip). Id have really thrown together some impressive scripted sequences.
Link is dead, could you provide a new working link of the same footage?

B
27th Jul 2004, 02:45 AM
Googled the filename: http://volftp.tiscali.it/cgi/scheda?doom3g4_hires.zip

SanitysEdge
27th Jul 2004, 02:57 AM
I probabally shouldnt be watching these videos there making me too excited now which will deplete the fun of the game some.

ShadowKi][er
27th Jul 2004, 03:14 AM
I'm quite sure the second video I posted is the 20 minute long Icon thing :(

Is anyone else replaying the older Doom games in order to prepare? Doom2's level design (levels 20 and onwards) started to piss me off so I took the liberty of opening the final level at that point. :shy:

Dave the Insane
27th Jul 2004, 03:23 AM
Some scans from a german magazine and some other pics.

http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Dave_the_Insane/30.jpg
http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Dave_the_Insane/gib2004.jpg
http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Dave_the_Insane/pca_s14.jpg
http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Dave_the_Insane/pca_s15.jpg
http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Dave_the_Insane/pca_s16.jpg
http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Dave_the_Insane/pca_s17.jpg
http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Dave_the_Insane/pca_s18.jpg
http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Dave_the_Insane/pca_s20.jpg
http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Dave_the_Insane/pca_s12.jpg

Xaero
27th Jul 2004, 04:13 AM
http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Dave_the_Insane/pca_s15.jpg :eek: :con:
:eek2:

Predcaliber
27th Jul 2004, 05:10 AM
http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Dave_the_Insane/pca_s15.jpg :eek: :con:
:eek2:

NeoNite
27th Jul 2004, 11:58 AM
[er']

Is anyone else replaying the older Doom games in order to prepare? Doom2's level design (levels 20 and onwards) started to piss me off so I took the liberty of opening the final level at that point. :shy:

Lmao I'm going to enjoy this!
Replaying :D

Now they return to the old doom games, to "prepare" themselves...

Why ever quit doom anyway? Such a fun game :)

Ah well, anyway..

Doom2's level 20 , "gotcha", is fun! This level has lots of open space.

level 21, nirvana well... that ain't bad either.. maybe a little confuzzling with the teleporters...

level 24 is probably a pain in the ass eh ;-) "the chasm". With all those thin walkways. Trust me, it's not that hard to learn. I can navigate them without stopping, and I won't ever fall down in the slime.
It takes some practise, but not that much.

Level 28 is fun. "The spirit world". You got lots of ammo, some big monsters but really... it's plain fun. There are some thight areas, but most of the time it's open space.

Level 29 ain't bad either. Huge open room, with narrow walkways.

Level 30, the dreaded "icon of sin".. arg.. :O)
Now that's level design!
;-)

Try megawadpacks such as "hell revealed","alien vendetta" or "eternal doom" to get a taste of insane dooming :O)

Romulan
27th Jul 2004, 12:23 PM
[er"]Is anyone else replaying the older Doom games in order to prepare? Doom2's level design (levels 20 and onwards) started to piss me off so I took the liberty of opening the final level at that point.

Replaying? I never stoppped playing! Doom 2 just seemed to lack the consistency of Doom. It was more like 32 unique levels rather than a cohesive episode. I'm currently slogging my way through plutonia.wad.

ShadowKi][er
27th Jul 2004, 03:11 PM
[lol long text]

Sorry, I did enjoy "Gotcha!" and a couple of odd levels near the end. I just got a little turned off in general when the "YOUR BACKC IN YOUR HOME CITY"!!1" bit started. I prefered the smaller maps.

MediocreTangerine
27th Jul 2004, 05:15 PM
Was Gotcha! that map where you had to run down the huge halls full of explosive barrels before they blew up and killed you? I liked that map... I really also liked the condos level and the courtyard, though I can't remember which Doom those are from...

Fluid
27th Jul 2004, 05:21 PM
Was Gotcha! that map where you had to run down the huge halls full of explosive barrels before they blew up and killed you? I liked that map... I really also liked the condos level and the courtyard, though I can't remember which Doom those are from...

No, that's Barrels O' Fun. And those maps are all from Doom 2.

SanitysEdge
27th Jul 2004, 05:40 PM
Doom3s story takes place as if doom 1 and doom 2 never happned, no need to replay.

DeDpoet|BuF
27th Jul 2004, 06:11 PM
i don't remember if anyone has posted it already, but hardocp has a firstlook on doom3 benchmarks. apparently it runs well enough on a 1.5ghz machine with a geforce4mx. good news, if you ask me.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy

NeoNite
27th Jul 2004, 06:35 PM
LOL, long text he says...

If that's long... :-B

Chaser
28th Jul 2004, 12:22 AM
I'm playing through all the doom games again because I have nothing else to do until Doom's Day. Almost done with Doom, and already started Doom2. I'm also going through all my old stuff looking for my DoomII hat and my Doom 2 shirt and my Doom Pajamas. I will be ready for Doom3!!!

6 days 11 hours 38 minutes and 12 seconds!

FrostBot
28th Jul 2004, 02:23 AM
Doom3 Linux! Yay!!!!

Predcaliber
28th Jul 2004, 02:24 AM
te more enthusiastic you are, the bigger chance there is its going to be a little dissapointment ;)

FrostBot
28th Jul 2004, 02:28 AM
True, but after watching the trailer and seeing those physics, I'm sure it'll be as expected. "Painkiller", my favourite FPS for PC. Nothing compares. My opinion anyway. A game that seems to have been overlooked by many.

BITE_ME
28th Jul 2004, 06:42 AM
It is amazing how many people will spend hundreds of $ upgrading to play a game that will last 24 hours?

I have over 3grand in a (1) gas powered RC car.....Till I smash it in a wall...Mmmmm. Bent Titanium :lol:

I will be buying Doom 3. The day it comes out.
I will try to put up a 1 on 1 server with my DSL, and play it the whole day. :y5: :enforcer:

ShadowKi][er
28th Jul 2004, 09:41 AM
Doom3s story takes place as if doom 1 and doom 2 never happned, no need to replay.

By playing Doom I'm mentally preparing myself for the unforeseen carnage and slaughter Doom 3 will provide.

Don't want to get caught with my pants down by a Cyberdemon.

B
28th Jul 2004, 09:52 AM
I have over 3grand in a (1) gas powered RC car.....Till I smash it in a wall...Mmmmm. Bent Titanium :lol:

Offtopic: That sounds like me when I got my first Nitro Car. I build it from my hard earned vacation job money. It costed way over 1000 Euro's. Once I was done building it I took it to the streets. Note: The only r/c car I had before was a Nikko, they go 20km/h top. This nitro car however has a top speed of nearly 100km/h.
So I start the car, hit the gas, it races off, I make 1 turn and frontally drive into the sidewalk. Result: 2 broken suspensions, a broken axle and some bodywork damage. :( All I could say was..wow did u see how fast it accelerated?!!! :D

el_Marko
28th Jul 2004, 10:54 AM
I hardly know f*ck all about Doom 3 :( and i havnt played Doom 1 or 2 :(

Big-Al
28th Jul 2004, 11:01 AM
:lol: I hardly know f*ck all about Doom 3 :( and i havnt played Doom 1 or 2 :(
cos ur so young m8

NeoNite
28th Jul 2004, 11:34 AM
There's no real carnage in the retail doom (doom/2) games.
It can get worse.. and I mean lots worse.

Romulan
28th Jul 2004, 12:34 PM
Doom 3 has now been confirmed (http://www.planetdoom.com/#PQN469982) to only run on 2K/XP.

Chaser
28th Jul 2004, 04:07 PM
[er']
Don't want to get caught with my pants down by a Cyberdemon.

lol

I cant wait to see what the cyberdemon looks like... or the Spider Mastermind (i dont think the above picture was it...im hoping...). When I first saw the new Cacodemon(Tomato Head Guy) i got really excited... damn it seems like all these new monsters in Doom 3 are sooo much faster then in the older dooms.. this time you cant run away from the monsters when they freak you out!!! :eek:

I just hope Doom 3 plays as much like Doom and Doom 2 as possible... although i dont think the new engine can handle 20 enemies on the screen at once like the old doom could.

SanitysEdge
28th Jul 2004, 04:36 PM
Doom 3 has now been confirmed (http://www.planetdoom.com/#PQN469982) to only run on 2K/XP.
Wow, that just pissed off dozens of thousands of people who preordered it and dont have Windows 2k/XP. Glad I have XP or I to would be really friggin pissed about now.

Chaser: http://www.planetdoom.com/doom3/enemies/

el_Marko
28th Jul 2004, 04:44 PM
Kind of crappy for Linux/Mac users too, heh and Win2k owns Xp

Romulan
28th Jul 2004, 04:59 PM
I think you misunderstood. I mean that as far as Windows goes, it will only run on 2k/XP. It will not run on 98/ME. A Linux version will be available once the game ships and the Mac port a few weeks later.

Hopefully this just means that 98/ME won't be officially supported, but the game may still run.

NeoNite
28th Jul 2004, 05:26 PM
lol

I just hope Doom 3 plays as much like Doom and Doom 2 as possible... although i dont think the new engine can handle 20 enemies on the screen at once like the old doom could.

I wouldn't count on it, you'll probably end up being really dissapointed.

MediocreTangerine
28th Jul 2004, 05:45 PM
Chaser: look at some of the interview videos. They're making Doom 3 like a first-person survival horror game with more option for stealth and less option for running and gunning, as also noted by PCGamer in their review of it.

Chaser
29th Jul 2004, 01:10 AM
Chaser: http://www.planetdoom.com/doom3/enemies/

That pic of the spider mastermind is only concept art... but i can only imagine the real deal! /soils self

I wouldn't count on it, you'll probably end up being really dissapointed

I'm still going to love it even if its only fighting one enemy at a time.

Chaser: look at some of the interview videos. They're making Doom 3 like a first-person survival horror game with more option for stealth and less option for running and gunning, as also noted by PCGamer in their review of it.

heheh I've been watching every video i got on Doom 3 like nonstop, running and gunning was fun, but these monsters are so damn fast you can't run! eek! Look at that cacodemon, hes crazy fast! Almost like those flamming Skulls were in the first doom.

5 days 10 hours 49 minutes 34 seconds!

PETzizzleSeagizzle
29th Jul 2004, 01:22 AM
I'm so uber-pumped for this game...I will be the first person to have a copy in my hands in WI.

Chaser
29th Jul 2004, 01:34 AM
You know what would be really leet? If Ebgames got their shipment a week early and started shipping out the games right now and they also threw in Doom 3 T shirts, hats, and my friken Pinkey Pewter figure. Yeah, that would pwn. Burnination...

SanitysEdge
29th Jul 2004, 01:44 AM
Heh, i just noticed EB Games is giving away 2-day shipping for free, however there selling doom3 at $55. Guess how much 2-Day shipping costs? Thats right, $5. Marketing is stupid.

Chaser
29th Jul 2004, 02:29 AM
I think the $55 is what Id is charging... everwhere else its 55 bucks and even before they offered the 2 day shipping it was 55 bucks. They were also giving away Pinky Figures if you preordered... but an hour before I preordered the offer vanished... I still hope i get my figure... or i'm going to be pissed!!!!! lol its the simple things in life.

I got 1 day air only because I cant wait one second longer for this game... and money isnt an issue. :)

tool
29th Jul 2004, 03:11 AM
5 to 6 more days left \o/

ShadowKi][er
29th Jul 2004, 04:59 AM
It's about time '98 users moved on :P. Personally I... obtained a copy of Windows 2000 just so I could get my 5.1 speakers working in anticipation for Doom3. They no workies under Lunix. Well, I couldn't be arsed to get them to work, that is.

In Finland the price is rumoured to be around 49 bucks, so I'm not worried. Besides, there's always www.play.com for us Euro trash (pre-order is 45 euros delivered). Heck, they're selling Thief 3 on DVD for 28 euros delivered, so it can't be all bad :). Be warned though - their shipping takes 5-7 days.

FaT CaM
29th Jul 2004, 05:37 AM
I like my 98. End of story.

Guess I wont be buying doom 3

NeoNite
29th Jul 2004, 12:07 PM
Oh dear, the drama.

tool
29th Jul 2004, 12:10 PM
This may not be true for all best buys, but a few out there are going to be selling Doom 3 on August 1st. And if you pre-ordered with Best Buy you can get your copy on August 1st. It may not be to late to pre-order it through best buy. If you want it first best buy looks to be the way to go.

ShadowKi][er
29th Jul 2004, 12:13 PM
This may not be true for all best buys, but a few out there are going to be selling Doom 3 on August 1st. And if you pre-ordered with Best Buy you can get your copy on August 1st. It may not be to late to pre-order it through best buy. If you want it first best buy looks to be the way to go.

Could you please link to the source of this. They're going to be in a world of **** if this a nationwide decision (which is isn't).

tool
29th Jul 2004, 12:14 PM
Well I don't have a real news source. I'm gonna call best buy up myself about this today though. Activision though supposely gave the A-OK to do it.

ShadowKi][er
29th Jul 2004, 12:16 PM
Activision though supposely gave the A-OK to do it.

It's a little hard to believe. I'd imagine some others shops would get cranky over this. So basically if Bestbuy breaks the release date, everyone else will too :).

NeoNite
29th Jul 2004, 12:20 PM
You know, doom/doom2 has a fast option.
Some monsters move twice as fast, they all react faster.. the projectiles travel twice as fast (I think).

Try playing doom with the -fast option. It's quite fun :O)

And when you really want to experience "hell unleashed", try the "nightmare mode".

tool
29th Jul 2004, 12:22 PM
well the best way to find out is to just call up your local best buy and hope you get someone with a clue to answer your question.

Orochi
29th Jul 2004, 12:32 PM
[er']It's a little hard to believe. I'd imagine some others shops would get cranky over this. So basically if Bestbuy breaks the release date, everyone else will too :).

best buy always breaks the release date, they put stuff out as soon as they get it

ShadowKi][er
29th Jul 2004, 12:34 PM
I'm just worried about Doom3's soundtrack. How can it possibly live up to the stolen? versions of Metallica and Slayer songs in the original games.

[Edit] Orochi, Okies.

Romulan
29th Jul 2004, 12:38 PM
[er"]It's about time '98 users moved on :P.

There are a lot of reasons to stay with 98. If maintained well, it is fairly stable and is easily the most software compatible Windows.

ShadowKi][er
29th Jul 2004, 12:39 PM
There are a lot of reasons to stay with 98. If maintained well, it is fairly stable and is easily the most software compatible Windows.

All of this is irrelevant since it isn't getting any Doom3 love.

Romulan
29th Jul 2004, 12:48 PM
[er"]All of this is irrelevant since it isn't getting any Doom3 love.

It may still if this simply means 98/ME are not supported. Besides, Doom 3 is not the be all, end all game so it is far from irrelevant.

And if the title track (http://www.sux2b.us/stuff/DooM3%20Theme.mp3) is any indication, the soundtrack isn't going to be anything special.

tool
29th Jul 2004, 01:09 PM
Doom 3 won't be the only game not working on Windows 98. Expect many more games in the future to have no support since Microsoft no longer supports windows 98 anymore.

Romulan
29th Jul 2004, 01:16 PM
Doom 3 won't be the only game not working on Windows 98. Expect many more games in the future to have no support since Microsoft no longer supports windows 98 anymore.

Not exactly (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=LifeWinExtndFAQ).

Chaser
29th Jul 2004, 01:53 PM
You know, doom/doom2 has a fast option.
Some monsters move twice as fast, they all react faster.. the projectiles travel twice as fast (I think).

Try playing doom with the -fast option. It's quite fun :O)

And when you really want to experience "hell unleashed", try the "nightmare mode".

Nightmare mode is CrAzY! Everything respawns and everything moves faster (especially pinky!!! eek) Its hard as **** playing nightmare... you literally have to run through the level shooting at anything that gets in your way.

Ebgames somtimes ships out early once they get their shipment. They did it for a few games (cant remember names) and people who preordered got their copys almost a full week in advance. Thats why I ordered from EB.

The soundtrack is going to be awsome, they already announced Tool is doing an exclusive song, and i think that doom.mp3 on the website is Tool, it sounds a lot like them. Tool kicks so much ass.

No, Tool the band... not that other guy with the big sigs... :)

Chaser
29th Jul 2004, 05:31 PM
Anyone remember in Doom 2 fighting the final boss and how you could use idclip and walk through the wall to see John Romeros head? Well I played that level again... and the boss says something when you enter the level, I read that if you record what he says, and play it backwards.. he says this:

"To win the game you must kill me, John Romero".

I thought that was pretty cool, I never new about that for all these years.

Damn I'm board.... I NEED DOOM 3!!!

SanitysEdge
29th Jul 2004, 06:25 PM
http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

NeoNite
29th Jul 2004, 06:52 PM
Nightmare mode is CrAzY! Everything respawns and everything moves faster (especially pinky!!! eek) Its hard as **** playing nightmare... you literally have to run through the level shooting at anything that gets in your way.

There are some demos of people managing to complete the entire game in nightmare mode.
Needs a lot of planning, apparently! :O)

Doom2 lmps (http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/lmps/doom2/1.9/)

There are demo's on that page, a few nightmare runs.
One is called Doom2nm -> levels 1-13
Other one is called nm100s -> all levels, all secrets. Better wait watching this one, could spoil a lot.

I know I have another nightmare run in my doom2 folder, I'll look up the name.

tool
29th Jul 2004, 08:11 PM
Ultra Quality is the cream of the crop for DOOM 3. In Ultra Quality nothing is compressed. Normal maps, and specular and diffuse lighting are all displayed at full resolution with no compression. Because of this, there is a tremendous amount of texture data needed on the video card, upwards of 500MB. While it will run on lesser cards, you may experience hitching or pausing due to the graphics card having to swap textures in and out of its memory buffer. That is why this setting is recommended for 512MB video cards. There is nothing stopping you from trying this quality setting if you want to, just keep in mind that the memory load is huge.

:eek:

here is Doom 3 on a Geforce 4 MX card. This is without pixel shading. It looks amazing huh?

after reading that whole article, i gotta give a :tup: to ID Software, for making what looks to be the best game engine so far. They have easily set the standard for first person shooters, and listened to fans and did everything possible to make sure Doom 3 will run well and look great on a low end gaming PC. They delievered perfectly. Many people thought that Doom 3 would be unplayable on a low end computer, and ID Software proved them wrong. Not only does it play great, it looks great too. I can't wait to see how amazing Doom 3 will look on the Xbox later this year.

http://www2.hardocp.com/1090787143TO62AMOEWX_4_12_l.jpg

Chaser
30th Jul 2004, 12:14 AM
I was amazed reading that [H]ardocp article. While playing Doom 3, it'll be pretty hard to tell the difference between low quality and high quality. This will really please my friend with a Gforce 4 ti4200 and 1.6 ghz system.

Id, I love you.

4 days 11 hours 46 minutes and 36 seconds!!!!!!

SanitysEdge
30th Jul 2004, 01:36 AM
Can anyone see the diffrence between High and UltraHigh settings? I cant, yet High runs faster.

ShadowKi][er
30th Jul 2004, 04:06 AM
Can anyone see the diffrence between High and UltraHigh settings? I cant, yet High runs faster.

There's a tiny bit of texture compression visible in High. It's really hard to notice though.

SanitysEdge
30th Jul 2004, 04:19 AM
And impossable to notice when your auctually playing, not just staring at the game in awe.

Machismo
30th Jul 2004, 04:39 AM
this is unbelievable amd athlon xp 1900+ and geforcefx5700 should run like a dream and here i thought i couldnt even buy doom3 because of the crap hardware :D

ShadowKi][er
30th Jul 2004, 04:50 AM
And impossable to notice when your auctually playing, not just staring at the game in awe.

Indeed. So much for waiting for a 512mb card. I'll probably pick up a 6800GT at some point.

tool
30th Jul 2004, 10:25 AM
this is unbelievable amd athlon xp 1900+ and geforcefx5700 should run like a dream and here i thought i couldnt even buy doom3 because of the crap hardware :D

Doesnt that just make you excited? To me this is the best reason to own Doom 3, is because almost everyone is going to be able to play it. I have a very high end system, so i'll be able to run it on high quality atleast. Not Ultra High, because I dont have a 512mb video card, mine is only 256.

I've always been saying how games, especially first person shooters need to be made for low end systems in mind, and Doom 3 did that. Not even Unreal Tournament 2004 does it this well, its attempt at being playable for everyone is a pretty half ass attempt compared to what ID Software did.

Snake13
30th Jul 2004, 11:41 AM
Though I sped up my fall upgrade plan in order to get it before Doom3, it makes me hopeful that half-life2 is just as scaleable

BoboThePenguin
30th Jul 2004, 07:44 PM
Some one already has D3 :eek: link (http://boards.ign.com/Doom_3/b5646/63929546/p1)

ShadowKi][er
30th Jul 2004, 07:51 PM
How many Europeans have placed their pre-order and are going to "aquire" the game next week? :p

[Edit] Screenshots and stuff http://www.ironnerd.com/temp/ <<-

http://photobucket.com/albums/v373/supervillainx/

SanitysEdge
30th Jul 2004, 08:03 PM
Some one already has D3 :eek: link (http://boards.ign.com/Doom_3/b5646/63929546/p1)
WTF WTF WTF?!!? Son of a bish!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

tool
30th Jul 2004, 09:17 PM
OMG I WANT THIS GAME RIGHT NOW. I am so excited for Doom 3. I've never been this excited for a video game before. I quite litterally can't control myself. I really really want Doom 3. I am going to do everything I can this weekend to try to get a copy.

Orochi
31st Jul 2004, 09:22 AM
doom 3 10 bucks off at cc(only on friday though), but take the ad from todays paper and ask bb to price match on sunday/monday

Bean316
31st Jul 2004, 10:48 AM
Hrm...I might have to do that. I actually went running around last night (Friday) trying to see if I could get it, but I couldn't. I went late too, and as slow as this summer has been, I think it was as exciting a Friday night I've had in a bit...

tool
31st Jul 2004, 11:30 AM
Saturday, time to start calling stores up and asking about Doom 3. :D

Beowolf
31st Jul 2004, 11:58 AM
Everyone give tool plenty of room....

Chaser
31st Jul 2004, 03:42 PM
I went to 3 different Ebgames around town asking for doom 3... or at least that little pinky figurine. The stores dont get them till the 4th, but the website gets em the 3rd. So to hold myself off for a few days I put a 5 dollar deposit in for Doom 3 preorder at the store, just so i could get the little pinky figure. :) It was worth 5 dollars. Those suckers think i'm coming back in tuesday so I can get the game... pffff. Noobs. :lol:

tool
31st Jul 2004, 04:03 PM
I found the doom 3 readme.txt, bad news, Doom 3 will not install if you have any virtual drive software running in the back ground.

tool
31st Jul 2004, 04:07 PM
zaccix gave the ok to post this. it is the doom 3 readme file that comes on the CD.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~amerrill/doom3readme.txt

================
DOOM 3 README
Last Updated 7-8-2004
=================

TABLE OF CONTENTS

INSTALLATION & SET UP:
1. Minimum System Requirements
2. CD Key
3. DirectX(r) Detection & Installation
4. Windows(r) Installer Updates
TROUBLESHOOTING:
1. Video issues
2. Sound issues
3. Multiplayer and Internet issues
4. Operating system specific issues
DOOM 3 ADDENDUM:
1. Accessing the Console
2. Using the Voice Chat Commands in Multiplayer
3. Using the Editor
4. Copyright Information

======================

INSTALLATION & SET UP ISSUES

Please note that Doom 3 does not support Microsoft(r) Windows(r)
95/98/ME/NT. However, installation is allowed in case of operating
system upgrades, or dual booting configurations.

1. Minimum System Requirements:

* English version of Microsoft(r) Windows(r) 2000/XP
* Pentium(r) 4 1.5 GHz or Athlon(tm) XP 1500+ processor
384MB RAM
8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and
latest drivers
* 2.2GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for
Windows(r) swap file)
* 100% DirectX(r) 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest
drivers
* 100% Windows(r) 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest
drivers
* DirectX(r) 9.0b (included)
3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX(r) 9.0b
compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers.
o ATI(r) Radeon 8500
o ATI(r) Radeon 9000
o ATI(r) Radeon 9200
o ATI(r) Radeon 9500
o ATI(r) Radeon 9600
o ATI(r) Radeon 9700
o ATI(r) Radeon 9800
o All Nvidia(r) GeForce 3/Ti series
o All Nvidia(r) GeForce 4MX series
o All Nvidia(r) GeForce 4/Ti series
o All Nvidia(r) GeForce FX series
o Nvidia(r) GeForce 6800 series

Multiplayer Requirements:

Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported
Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers
LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers

2. CD Key

A. Installation and the CD Key

When installing Doom 3 you will be prompted to enter your CD
authentication key. The authentication key appears on the CD
packaging. It is important that you enter the key string in its
entirety exactly as it appears on the CD package. The Doom 3 Master
Server verifies the CD key each time you connect for online play.

B. The game tells me my CD key is invalid:

The number one problem with CD keys is mistyping. Double and triple
check the characters you have entered.

C. Some common sense about your CD key:

Each CD key is unique - protect it from loss or theft by keeping a copy
of it in a safe place. Without it, you cannot reinstall the game or
play online. You may hear of so-called "CD Key generators" being
available for illicit download on the Internet. They do not work as
advertised, and often attempt to steal legitimate keys off your
machine, reveal personal information or install viruses, worms and/or
trojan horses on your machine. Do not download and/or use them under
any circumstances.

3. DirectX(r) Detection & Installation

The Doom 3 installer does not check for the version of DirectX(r) you
have currently installed, it just prompts you to install DirectX(r)
9.0b. Activision recommends allowing the installer to proceed with the
DirectX(r) 9.0b installation, even if you think you may have 9.0b
installed. Re-installing DirectX(r) 9.0b will not harm your DirectX(r)
configuration. Doom 3 requires DirectX(r) 9.0b to install and play.

4. Windows(r) Installer Updates

The Windows(r) Installer may need to be updated. If this is the case,
the Doom 3 installer will update the Windows(r) Installer, reboot the
machine, then continue normally.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

1. Video Issues
Please note that Doom 3 will automatically configure optimal video
settings based on your computer's hardware. If your hardware changes
after install or if you wish to rescan, in the Main Menu: click
OPTIONS, SYSTEM, then click the SCAN HARDWARE AND SELECT OPTIMAL VIDEO
QUALITY button, then APPLY CHANGES. Any change in Screen Size and some
advanced options requires you to quit and restart Doom 3 for them to
take effect.

A. Latest drivers required

For best performance and video quality, please make sure you have the
latest drivers for your video card when running Doom 3. If you have an
ATI or NVIDIA video card, you can find drivers on their websites.
http://www.ati.com/
http://www.nvidia.com/

B. Disabling video options to gain performance:

In addition to setting Low Quality, disabling Specular, Bump Maps, and
Shadows will help improve performance. These can be disabled under the
ADVANCED OPTIONS of the SYSTEM menu. Please note that while increasing
performance, disabling these options turns off graphical features that
are key in the Doom 3 experience.

2. Sound Issues

A. Latest drivers required

Please make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound card when
running Doom 3.

B. The game tells me I don't have surround sound speakers when I do.

If you have surround sound speakers make sure that you have the correct
speaker configuration in the Windows(r) control panel and not only in
any software utilities that came with your sound card.
For Windows(r) XP:
Select "Sounds and Audio Devices" in the control panel. On the
"Volume" tab, click the "Advanced" button under Speaker Settings. Make
sure you have the correct speaker configuration chosen in the drop-down
menu on the "Speakers" tab.

For Windows(r) 2000:
Select "Sounds and Multimedia" in the control panel. Click the "Audio"
tab. Click the "Advanced" button under "Sound Playback". Make sure the
correct speaker configuration is chosen under "Speaker Setup".

C. The sound stutters while playing:

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound card. If
stuttering persists try reducing Hardware Acceleration: Click on Start,
then Run. Type "dxdiag" and hit enter. This brings up the "DirectX(r)
Diagnostic Tool". Click on the Sound tab and try reducing the "Hardware
Sound Acceleration Level" slider.

3. Multiplayer and Internet issues
Please note that Internet play requires a broadband connection and
latest drivers.

A. Internet listen server vs dedicated server:

Hosting a listen server over the Internet is more taxing on your system
than a dedicated server. Server performance will improve with dedicated
servers when hosting on the Internet.

B. Dedicated servers crash on machines with 384mb of RAM.

If you have dedicated server stability issues running on a machine with
384mb of RAM, try first starting a listen server, disconnecting, then
starting a dedicated server. If problems persist try rebooting your
machine and repeating those steps.

C. Problems Finding Internet Games

If you are having problems seeing servers in the Multiplayer Game
Browser screen, please make sure that you have checked the following
before contacting customer support.

1) Make sure that you are connected to the Internet (through either a
Local Area Network, Cable Modem, DSL Modem etc.). You must connect to
the Internet before starting the game.

2) Once you have connected to the Internet and started Doom 3, click
"Multiplayer", then "Find A Multiplayer Game". In the "Game Browser"
menu make sure "Internet" is selected. Click on "Get New List".

NOTE: Activision Customer Support does not support playing multiplayer
through firewalls or shared connections.

4. Operating system specific issues

A. Shift Key in Windows(r) 2000/XP Interrupts Game

If you press the Shift key 5 times consecutively in Windows(r) 2000 or
Windows(r) XP the following message should appear:

"By pressing the SHIFT key five times you have turned on the StickyKeys
feature in Windows(r) 2000 [or Windows(r) XP]. With this feature, you
can lock down the CTRL, ALT, or SHIFT keys. This is useful if you are
unable to hold down more than one key at a time.

Click OK to turn this feature on. If you do not want to use the
feature, click Cancel.

To avoid this happening in the future, click the Settings button on the
window referenced above. When the accessibility options screen
appears, click the "Settings" button in the "Sticky Keys" portion of
the window. On the next window (should be labeled "Settings For Sticky
Keys"), uncheck in the box that says, "Use shortcut," then click on
"Apply," and close the windows. The problem should not occur once the
shortcut has been disabled.

B. Windows(r) Key Interrupts Game in 2000/XP

If the Windows(r) key is pressed during game play, the Start Menu will
interrupt the game. Should this happen, simply press the Escape (Esc)
key to close the menu and return to the game. Unfortunately, there is
no way to prevent this from happening again except by being careful not
to hit those keys while playing.

C. Game Icons Are Missing From Start Menu And/Or Desktop In Windows(r)
2000/XP

When installing Doom 3 while logged into Windows(r) as a specific user,
the game icons will only show up when logging in as that user. For
example, if you log into Windows(r) as "Joeuser", install the game,
then log out and log back in as "Janeuser", the game icons will not
show up. If you wish to play the game, make sure you log into
Windows(r) as the same user you were logged in as when you installed
the game.

D. Admin Rights Needed To Load and Play On Windows(r) 2000 or XP

If you are running Windows(r) 2000 or Windows(r) XP, you must have
Administrator rights to properly install and play the game.

DOOM 3 ADDENDUM:

1. ACCESSING THE CONSOLE IN DOOM 3

The Console can be accessed with the CTRL-ALT-TILDE (~) key. Please
note that use of the console is unsupported by Activision Customer
Support. Please do not contact Customer Support with console command
questions.

Note: For ease of use, the console can be set to open with just the
TILDE (~) key. To turn this setting on you must enter the following
command:

com_allowConsole 1

2. VOICE COMMANDS IN MULTIPLAYER

Doom 3 multiplayer has the ability to play audio chat lines in-game for
purposes of taunting, congratulating, or for team-specific requests and
instructions. In order to utilize this function, keys must be bound to
them in the console. While this feature is unsupported, we've included
a CFG file that when executed will bind the key-pad keys to those voice
commands.
It can run from the console by typing the following:
exec mp_vchat

Here is a brief description of those bindings and their functions:

GENERAL KEYS
Keypad Insert = Great game
Keypad Asterisk = Hack
Keypad Del = That sucked
Keypad Slash = Die already
Keypad Plus = Switch channel (Global, Team)

GROUPS
Keypad Enter = Switch groups (Commands, Responses, Reports)
Commands
Keypad 1 = Cancel that
Keypad 2 = Pull back
Keypad 3 = Prepare for attack
Keypad 4 = Grab the armor
Keypad 5 = Cover me
Keypad 6 = Over here
Keypad 7 = Attack now
Keypad 8 = Move in
Keypad 9 = I'll take that

Reponses
Keypad 1 = I'm not ready
Keypad 2 = Negative
Keypad 3 = No way
Keypad 4 = Are you serious
Keypad 5 = I'm armed and ready
Keypad 6 = N/A
Keypad 7 = Yeah right
Keypad 8 = Roger
Keypad 9 = On my way

Reporting
Keypad 1 = I'm taking fire
Keypad 2 = I need a weapon
Keypad 3 = I need health
Keypad 4 = I have extra weapon
Keypad 5 = I have the armor
Keypad 6 = I have the powerup
Keypad 7 = Enemy has powerup
Keypad 8 = Enemy spotted
Keypad 9 = Item available

3. USING THE EDITOR

Doom 3 comes with the editor and source files built in. CAUTION:
loading and saving any of the single or multiplayer levels that come
with Doom 3 may cause them to no longer function properly. If this
happens you will need to uninstall Doom 3, delete the folder and any
created files, and reinstall Doom 3.

For more information on use of the editor, go to
http://www.qeradiant.com/doom3/

4. COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

DOOM 3 is linked with the JpegLib, copyright (c)1991-1998 Thomas G.
Lane/Independent JPEG Group. All rights reserved.

DOOM 3 is linked with the OggVorbis SDK, copyright (c) 2004, Xiph.Org
Foundation

tool
31st Jul 2004, 04:19 PM
http://www.gamesplanet.co.uk/Video-Games/PC-Games/Top%2BSellers/Front+Page/Pre+Order/Doom+III/_/CLASS/Product/DBID/42678dcc43a2c787dd6723d66ffbf2ed/FORMAT/PC/SUBNAV/Top+Sellers

here is a U.K. site that has copies of Doom 3 for people to buy! :)

here are a whole bunch of screen shots to tide you guys over :D

http://img37.exs.cx/img37/1302/doom32004-07-3110-07-06-57.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/1.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/2.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/3.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/4.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/5.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/6.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/7.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/8.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/9.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/10.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/11.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/12.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/13.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/14.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/15.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/16.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/17.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/18.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/19.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/20.jpg
http://mantispc.net/files/crap/doom3/jpeg/21.jpg

Bean316
31st Jul 2004, 04:34 PM
Those screens are absolutely nuts.

The more and more I see of Doom3, the more I'm convinced they totally sold their souls.

SanitysEdge
31st Jul 2004, 04:37 PM
OMG WTF WANT DOOM 3 SHIP NOW ARRIVE PLAY PLAY PLAY KTHXBYE!

Chaser
31st Jul 2004, 04:44 PM
Heres the latest Official Trailer of Doom 3 (http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/doom3/d3pcdownloadfinal.zip.html)

It looks amazing. Watching that video reminds me of half life crossed with the best science fiction movie i've ever seen.

DAmn that lucky bastard who got his copy early. Damn him to hell. At least I got my pinky. There there pinky, its ok.

tool
31st Jul 2004, 11:30 PM
A few best buys around the U.S. were selling Doom 3 as early as yesterday! (Friday July 30th). So this whole fiasco with Doom 3 and people getting copies early has really set the internet gaming forums and chat rooms on fire. Reports of Gamestop and EBGames selling Doom 3 today have also shown up. People over all seem pretty excited about Doom 3 being sold much earlier then what activision had wanted. And of course a lot of people want to get their hands on it illegally, but despite all the copies already sold nothing has turned up on the IRC or bittorrent networks.

SlayerDragon
1st Aug 2004, 01:48 AM
My preorder copy should come Aug 05 for me :tup: I hope! :eek:

SanitysEdge
1st Aug 2004, 01:57 AM
My preorder copy should come Aug 05 for me :tup: I hope! :eek:
Same, however, I just saw how crappy my graphics card is and I really want a new one, which is not going to happen :(

BITE_ME
1st Aug 2004, 02:10 AM
Im going out Sunday, to find me some DOOM3.

I live in the San Fracisco Bay Area.

If I find it........

You will never hear from me again... :D

PS. If I do find it. Do you think it would be ok if I started a Thread on "Retail Places To Buy Doom 3"?

Cap'n Beeb
1st Aug 2004, 02:13 AM
Protip: You don't need to hit the enter key so many times.

rajput_warrior
1st Aug 2004, 02:44 AM
']Ripped from an email I sent:

If you want to post any part of this, feel free.

Okay, here's what's going on from what I've been able to figure out so far (I work at BestBuy)

We have had an update thing about Doom III last time I checked. It lists a street date (Aug 4th...) but it's a SOFT street date. Not a hard street date. If I understand right, fines only apply to hard street dates (like with movies). As far as I can tell, a soft street date is just when we should definitely have it stocked and selling by. (Just a guess)

Our shipment is actually not even due in til Monday for our store, but sometimes shipments do come in a day early. There has been no big hubub (yet) over holding it until a specific date... Which there usually is when it comes to games, because so RARELY is there ever a street date. The last one that comes to mind was Spiderman 2. Then it was Shrek 2, preceded by I think as far back as Madden 2k4. We had similar stuff happen with UT2k4. There was stuff going around about us having to hold it, it's in the ad for a certain date, blah blah, but since there was no big official word, we put it out when we got it (making sure there was some left over for the ad date) and all was good.

From a Todd Hollenshead .plan:
So, the next question is release dates. Retailers in the States will be allowed to pick up games starting
at 12:01 AM on August 3rd. The official street date is actually August 5th in the U.S.A., but some of
your favorite stores will probably have it early for those of you who have to have it first. Check with
your local retailer for that information.

So, he is authorizing it to be sold as early as the 3rd by that statement. But then again, it's only phrased as "pick up" on the 3rd... so if we end up getting it on the 2nd, I see no reason why it can't be sold.

So basically, in short, it's really going to end up being a judgement call from your local stores (at least when it comes to BestBuy). That all could change, even by tomorrow. We get updates all the time about needing to hold something, change the date, etc. I've talked it over with my sups and what we plan on doing, if there is no update, is hold as many as we need for preorders, a few more for the date listed in the ad (so people don't come in mad because we don't have it), and probably shelve the rest of them as soon as we receive them. Why hold the product when you can be selling it and making revenue?

But, a big thing I want to stress to everyone... every store is different! Don't come in, with your hopes up, yelling because you read somewhere that a store was supposed to have something (like happened today :p). Do yourself a favor, and save some time in the process, by just calling in first and asking! We don't bite! Thanks ;)

i got madden 2k4 for pc 2 days early, as soon as EB got it in, they gave me a call

SanitysEdge
1st Aug 2004, 02:46 AM
did you have to quote the ENTIRE thing?

Cap'n Beeb
1st Aug 2004, 02:55 AM
You do know you can just scroll down past it and read the reply, yes? Anyway, I called EBGames tonight and they told me it was the 4th... your mileage my vary.

BITE_ME
1st Aug 2004, 03:02 AM
I just found this on another forum:

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=2308&tid=1435345

It looks like BB, target and other places are selling the game.

hyrulian
1st Aug 2004, 03:18 AM
Am I right that there is no Limited Edition of any sort to rush out and buy?
If so, I think I can wait a little bit, until I can at least try the demo and see how well it works on my system...

FaT CaM
1st Aug 2004, 03:50 AM
OMG I WANT THIS GAME RIGHT NOW. I am so excited for Doom 3. I've never been this excited for a video game before. I quite litterally can't control myself. I really really want Doom 3. I am going to do everything I can this weekend to try to get a copy.

Just make sure you dont dismiss it for having poor multiplayer (like some people will)
:rolleyes:

SlayerDragon
1st Aug 2004, 04:31 AM
Just make sure you dont dismiss it for having poor multiplayer (like some people will)
:rolleyes:

Doom was never about multiplayer for me. I never got a chance to try it until one time in high school we did a Doom LAN after school one day. :lol:

I hope my system will handle it well.... It doesn't work as smoothly as I thought it would....

MegaManInferno: What graphics card do you have again?

May as well list my specs...
DFI LanParty NFII Motherboard (nForce2 chipset)
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU
1 Gigabyte (2 x 512 MB) Corsair XMS Platinum DDR RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro Ultimate 256MB (Ultimate has Zalman heatpipe)
Samsung 120 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Antec TruPower 430 Watt Power Supply

Sometimes I feel like it doesn't perform quite up to speed, but I have a feeling that the "apparent" low framerates are due to an old Gateway EV700 monitor that I am desperately wanting to replace. I say "apparent" because the FPS display in UT2004 generally stays at 60+, even on ONS and AS maps. Sometimes it dips below, depending on the situation.

BITE_ME
1st Aug 2004, 05:23 AM
8 hours left to bid:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8122008245&rd=1

SlayerDragon
1st Aug 2004, 06:49 AM
$100 for something you can get in a few days for about half as much? :lol: STUPID!

tool
1st Aug 2004, 09:20 AM
Tool is getting doom 3 today

Orochi
1st Aug 2004, 09:59 AM
where

JaFO
1st Aug 2004, 01:01 PM
I found the doom 3 readme.txt, bad news, Doom 3 will not install if you have any virtual drive software running in the back ground.
The protection appears to be 'Safedisk3' ... and from what I've heard it's easy to find a no-cd crack already.
Makes me wonder why companies even insist on 'protecting' their software when it's broken before release already ...