Very Ambitious Map, will need a lot of modeller help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
I saw this picture and was stunned, and then I thought "wouldn't it be cool to race there?".

ddd-0021.jpg

I don't want to replicate the style exactly but obviously there's a lot of inspiration for buildings and race tracks. The track I'm going to try to use will be a pretty simple design and I've added a paint drawing of what it will look like. It i very important that the track itself is very wide because it adds to the theme I'm going for (and it helps the bots out a bit ;) ). I can do straights and curves in the 2D Shape Editor but for this style I'll need banked curves, helixes, and sloped turns (i.e. turns that go up or down as well) and banked sloped turns too. I'll need these in both 90 degree (wide 90 degrees though) and 22.5 degree (very wide 22.5 degree) turns. Not to mention that static meshes look better for curves. I was planning to use Steven's road texture for the road bit, but for the side barriers I wanted the arrow-stripe on the texture sg_Mechdecfloor2_spec1 in the package cp_Mech1.utx.

Here are some more source shots:

ddd-0020.jpg

ddd-0174.jpg

Thanx go to Eric Knight of www.deepdarkdigital.com for the inspiration

Thank you very much for any modellers that decide to help out cos this'll require a lot of SM creation. I'll need the files in either .ase or .usx correctly UV Mapped.

I'll try to get a few done in Maya if I can (I'm still learning it, I might have a mental block for learning modelling)

Attachments

• ultradetailedconcept.GIF
    ultradetailedconcept.GIF
    7.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
You would be better of remaking the road in 3dmax or something which i can do for you so long as i have a pic on what the track looks like(your pics arnt working).

Also are you able to do the terrain in another program so you can match it up to the static mesh road?

combitz

Common sense is not that common
May 1, 2000
U.K
combitz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
you could use a displacement map in max. make the greyscale terrain texture of your track and apply it to the displacement channel. draw a spline in the top view centre of where you want the road to be. then move the verts to follow the terrain (thats is the time consuming bit), make a profile of your road in the front view and loft it along the road path and tadddaaaaa, instant road following terrain, just play with the segments until you have something of a realistic poly count. cut it into segments and unwrap. If its all one texture you can even select apply bmp to loft and it will uv map it for you for speed. Does that make sence?

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
Yeah i now how to make the track up thats easy i just wanted to know of a good terrain generating program.
I do have bryce just have no idea how to use it.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
For all that modelling lingo:

1. I have Maya (the one that came with UT2004)
2. I'm a n00b modeller
3. I'm not going to use any terrain, this will be floating.
4. I want track pieces so I can use them again in future maps.

Guys (and gals) I've just noticed the image problems myself, if you right-click the images go to properties and copy and paste the links you'll see the inspiration artwork I was talking about.

I can do the track pieces myself, I'm just about proficient enough to do that (hopefully) it's just the buildings that are gonne be trouble.

EDIT: Yeah I got most of the track pieces done. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to re-install Maya from the UT2004 disk or does the UT2003 plugin work for 2K4? I would have thought that it would've worked if the static mesh packages are compatible...

Last edited:

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
Hey just so you know project x, the only UnWheel map that I'm working on is very similar to this idea, the only difference is that mine is going to be suspended above water. I'm almost half done with it right now.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Diego1203 said:
Hey just so you know project x, the only UnWheel map that I'm working on is very similar to this idea, the only difference is that mine is going to be suspended above water. I'm almost half done with it right now.

Doh! I was planning to do it over water too!

Are you by any chance a mind-reader Diego?

Well you've got better modelling talents so I might as well just quit right now and start something else. What atmospheric colours are gonna be your theme choice?

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
ProjectX said:
What atmospheric colours are gonna be your theme choice?

I'm planing on using alot of light colors, blues and greys mostly, with a bright sunny sky.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Diego1203 said:
I'm planing on using alot of light colors, blues and greys mostly, with a bright sunny sky.

I was planning on deep oranges, with reflective, navy-blue windows on the buildings for contrast. We might be able to pull these map off as different then.

Work has resumed.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
tonyfreak215 said:
Sounds like a great idea. I can't wait to see the maps.

I'm having problems with mine. I've got the maya plugin for 2K3 and that doesn't work with 2K4. Normally that'd be fine for me but at theres some major work being done on my house and my game is in storage. there wouldn't happen to be a download for he updated Maya PLE plugin would there?

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
I'm uploading the Maya 5 ple plugin for UT2k4 to the ftp just for you, it'll be in my folder, should be done in a few minutes.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Thanx man tha was very helpful :2thumb: :notworthy:

Ok, so I've just come to export my mesh, everything worked but there's a problem with the texturing. The border of my track piece is not showing a texture, but the unseen side of the mesh is. I've included some pics to explain. If you look at the left side of the border, you'll notice it only shows the texture if you are behind the model. I don't suppose that I could fix i by making the texture two-sided could I?

EDIT: mebbe not, also every single texture is the wrong way round like above.

Attachments

• meshproblem2.GIF
    meshproblem2.GIF
    136.8 KB · Views: 17
  • meshproblem1.GIF
    meshproblem1.GIF
    141.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
I'm still a maya noob so I could be wrong about this but it looks like your normals are reversed. You want your normals to be facing out otherwise you'll be able to see through the side of you mesh once it is in unreal. If you go to Dispaly>CustomPolygonDisplay and in the menu turn on backface culling for that mesh you can see what it will look like in unreal. To flip your normals around select the faces that you want to flip and then go to EditPolygons>Normals>Reverse. Hope that helps.