PDA

View Full Version : ONS-DutchTreat

KingMango
8th Jul 2004, 10:46 AM
!!!WARNING!!! VEHICLE-LESS ONS !!!WARNING!!!:p

So I could use some feedback on an early beta of this map.

http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=6338

I know it needs a lot of work, but I just want to get opinions on any major flaws before I start reworking any of the meshes. Thanks in advance

Nahand
8th Jul 2004, 01:45 PM
... yummy...

Manticore
10th Jul 2004, 11:41 PM
kingmango
07-08-2004 03:50 PM EDT
I'm pretty sure that all of us mappers were pretty proud of our first pieces of ****e until we realized we could do so much more. I mean don't you remember how magical it was to run around in a UT map THAT YOU MADE YOURSELF!!!! lol Don't forget where you came from guys. And players only who don't map... well you know.

Hi. I downloaded this the other night thinking you may appreciate some constructive beta comments from someone who has been playing first person games since the '80's ands WHO HASN'T CREATED A NEW MAP since Doom 2 or Quake 1. I've just explained this to someone else somewhere else on this site and I'm getting pretty sick of repeating myself.

So I guess I'd better delete your beta as obviously my comments are not valid?

KingMango
11th Jul 2004, 12:02 AM
Thx Nahand.

Manticore lmao!!!

Don't know what you are upset about, but go ahead and delete it. Maybe you can use your decoder on my post and show me the translation where I say your comments are not valid.

Anyways, here's the final beta, and I'm going to see about a scorp and hellbender or two.

Link:
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=6338
(have to be logged in to dl)
and screen:

Manticore
11th Jul 2004, 12:20 AM
"And players only who don't map... well you know."

KingMango
11th Jul 2004, 01:21 PM
you know = lighten up

Sorry for offending you by suggesting people shouldn't really rip an honest effort in the ed. I can see how you got so upset seeing as how the entire post was rude and insulting to people. NOT

Nahand
11th Jul 2004, 02:38 PM
... c'mon guys...

Manticore
11th Jul 2004, 06:03 PM
you know = lighten up

Sorry for offending you by suggesting people shouldn't really rip an honest effort in the ed. I can see how you got so upset seeing as how the entire post was rude and insulting to people. NOT

Any further comments regarding this matter are in a seperate thread and you can say anything you want there. You do have every right to do that. If you look at that thread you will see that I have clarified my position by saying that my comments were not specifically aimed at you. Your comment just broke the camel's back.

As far as I can remember I have never seen anything from you on this site which has been trash but, unfortunately, the trash that does get uploaded usually ends up getting flamed because those people who are using Ued are just so far behind the main game. They just can't see that one bad map doesn't make them numero uno on the hit parade.

If you look at the big picture on this site every second new submission lately which has been received poorly has this comeback thrown up about whether the commentators map or not.

What impressed me about this thread was the fact that one mapper, who appears to be more adept at Ued, was actually utilising the forums in the correct way and getting beta feedback. If the fourteen year-olds on this site did the same they would probably never become part of this non-mapping recrimination head-trip.

You have every right ot be offended by my comments if you want to see it that way. I wouldn't expect anything less......

......but I regret nothing.

KingMango
11th Jul 2004, 07:56 PM
Well I'm not the one who's getting upset Manticore. You took my comment and interpreted it to be something negative. And still are. I don't see how. At any rate, all I was saying (quite clearly I thought) is to lighten up on peeps who are making an effort to map. You never know, a year from now you might be saying that guy's latest map is ownage. If you played my first map from just over a year ago, you would have laughed at how crappy it was, but thankfully I got a very tactful reviewer. I'm not saying I would have quit mapping if I got flamed on that map, but I might not have continued with the enthusiasm that I ahve today. And today I think I make a good map. Might have been different if people just told me what a POS my first one was. Who knows for sure though. I have thick skin anyway so it probably doesn't matter.

But why would people go to the trouble of posting a beta map here? Obviously only a handful of people bother to check this forum, and even fewer bother to dl a map.

And while I absolutely don't mind comments like yummy, :D I would like even more to hear, "well you have too much blue in the blue side and the skybox is boring try putting such and such in it," or "the rock meshes look funny they need to have thicker walls...." or "it runs like **** on my machine optimize it more," whatever the thing is that needs to be done. Capiche? The whole point of beta testing is to correct problems that you have missed or exploits, inventory placement, ideas for new things that you overlooked. etc...

I feel that very soon I will no longer need to release public betas. But until then, I know I could use some help and while I don't expect that anyone should feel obligated to look at my work, I also feel there comes a point where people that rip maps should spend more time in this forum.

I didn't mean any offense by my remarks (well I did with the decoder remark lol) and sometimes I lose my patience just like everyone else and the fact that you find anything at all about my remarks waranting a flame just pushed a button. I optimized the hell out of the map and the final is nearly ready.

Nahand
12th Jul 2004, 10:16 AM
... ahem... about that yummy, i was hungry... besides, i do not have UT2004 :/ ... so, yummy...

KingMango
12th Jul 2004, 03:01 PM
LOL nahand. I can send you some home made al pastor and tortillas eh?

Well it must be perfect then since I have't gotten any feedback but a bunch of dl's. Either that or it reallly really sucks and since I am an incurable optimist, I prefer to think that it's perfect. :p

But I think I'm going to stick with it being a VCTF.