I join my friends, and toast my 2400+. Ugh.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
God damnit, even after taking every precaution, getting a new fan rated for it (didn't work worth ****) using ample thermal compound (generic), and being as careful as I could, I still managed to destroy my new Athlon XP 2400+. God fucking damnit, $72.50 down the drain. Each of my friends who set up their computers with new 2400+'s did the same thing...except they did it a year ago, when the cpus still cost $200 ;)

Fucking hell. I'm going to take it back tomorrow and try to say they ****ed up and gave me a bad one...and then I'm going to give in and buy a working replacement.

Or maybe not.

Maybe I'll just get one of those shiny new athlon 64 systems that are all the rage these days, and blow all my money. Yeah...

edit: On the plus side, my cpu temp has dropped back down to 46* C from a lofty 60.

Last edited:

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Athlon64 systems are actually very reasonable if you get a socket 754 or 939 board, as they don't require registered memory. The Athlon64 2800+ can be found on Newegg for $185, which is about $40 more than the XP3200+, IIRC. Not a bad deal at all. Also, Newegg is bundling it with a Chaintech board at a $60 discount. I'm running one right now, along with a Radeon 9800 Pro and a gig of OCZ low latency RAM, and I'm more than pleased with it. I can run a dedicated UT2004 server and then connect to it as a client from the same machine without performance loss, and that was kinda hard on my old 1800+. FYI, I do that because listen server hosts can't use voice chat.

By the way, define "ample" thermal paste, as you really only need half a rice grain's worth, give or take. Also, don't blow money on third-party fans if you're not overclocking or in need something quieter. As long as your case has good airflow, the OEM fans are quite sufficient (unless your ePenis shrinks when your CPU gets up to 55C at full load).

In any case, I offer you my condolences and a strawberry-flavored condom. Give your lady a special treat while shielding her from STDs. Or I can offer you a banana flavor, which will trick her mind into thinking your penis is an actual fruit.

Last edited:

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
I've never wrecked a CPU (and I managed to squeeze my 1700+ to 2200+ using normal fan cooling) so i'm wondering what exactly you did to that poor processor...

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
They can tell if it was overclocked unless you get it working again, and downclock it.

You got your CPU temperature down from 60? Mine is idle 55, max 65! Please help!

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Derelan said:
They can tell if it was overclocked unless you get it working again, and downclock it.

You got your CPU temperature down from 60? Mine is idle 55, max 65! Please help!

bleh that's within parameters, mine went up to 70 at 2200 speed at which point i decided that 2000+ was just fine.
Also no they can't tell it was overclocked unless you did so by modding the processor (like unlocking it). If you just mess around internally with your bus speed they can't tell.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
The_Fur said:
I've never wrecked a CPU (and I managed to squeeze my 1700+ to 2200+ using normal fan cooling) so i'm wondering what exactly you did to that poor processor...
Now that I think about it, I'm curious myself. It never hit above 65 degrees, but BAMN bsod. BSOD. BSOD. My first thought was a bios conflict, so I flashed the bios with the latest...and BSOD. The fan was working at all times, and it was one they reccomended. Oh, I got the OEM one because 1) I already had a powerful fan to use, and 2) I wanted a nice quiet fan instead.

You know what, I just had a thought...I might need a more powerful PSU.

Edit: Did some checking, and seems the power's okay...well, right now anyway with my old cpu... :hmm: You'd think a 350 watt power supply would be enough.

Edit2: After reading some more...maybe not :con:

Last edited:

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Keganator said:
Now that I think about it, I'm curious myself. It never hit above 65 degrees, but BAMN bsod. BSOD. BSOD. My first thought was a bios conflict, so I flashed the bios with the latest...and BSOD. The fan was working at all times, and it was one they reccomended. Oh, I got the OEM one because 1) I already had a powerful fan to use, and 2) I wanted a nice quiet fan instead.

You know what, I just had a thought...I might need a more powerful PSU.

Edit: Did some checking, and seems the power's okay...well, right now anyway with my old cpu... :hmm: You'd think a 350 watt power supply would be enough.

Edit2: After reading some more...maybe not :con:
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
^^go there to see if you need a better power supply.

I've never had any issues with my CPU overheating as much as it does (65 degrees), but recently my video card has been stuttering. Its a brand new GF 5700 LE. I fixed it by downclocking the memory mhz a bit, but i think its getting too hot because my CPU is too hot. So now my CPU is an issue. NTKB was apparently having the same problem, i'd like to know what his CPU temps are.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Well, I just re-installed the 2400+. My PSU should be good enough with the equipment I have, so I don't see a problem there. It never got overheated, so there's nothing to worry about there. There shouldn't have been any reason for it to do what it was doing! Now that its reinstalled, it hasn't BSODed on me, yet...but time will tell. I'm going to let it idle for a while and see how it handles that.

Oddly enough, it seems to be running much better this time around; idling at 41* C...lower than my old 1400+ athlon T-bird.

Edit: Awesome! After a good 30 minutes of UT2k4, on a botmatch with lots of bots, the temp only went up to 44 degrees. :D

Maybe it wasn't the CPU after all that was creating the problem. That makes me worried...very worried.

Last edited:

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
But my ultimate cooling solution was louder.

ultimatecooling.jpg

:D And it had THREE settings: Loud, Yay, I don't hear the hairdryer anymore, and Thank God I use Headphones.

:D

Nightmare

Only human
Sep 23, 2001
Finland
Visit site
It's really easy to knock the different power cables around when you install a CPU. And of course, the memory sticks can get shaken out of their sockets too. Instant BSOD. Perhaps that's the problem you had?

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
My CPU shuts down itself when the computer is idling or not doing much, and the temperature hardly goes over 50°C.

(with a Althlon64 3000)