cXp public beta: we need your support

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Ok, first off, the announcement thread went a little OT. So let me announce again:
cXp public beta is out! Please visit our homepage downloads section:
http://www.mif.vu.lt/~near3027/cxp/

Now, let me kindly ask for your support.
Public beta means it is not the final version. We release it to public in hopes that you guys can try it out and tell us if there is anything wrong. So that we can make it better before releasing a final version. In the mean time we'd also like you to have fun with it, before we take the time to iron out all the bugs (if any, lol).

We need a couple servers to host our package, and as much players to play it as we can get :) And finally, please register at our forum:
http://s7.invisionfree.com/CXP_Forums/index.php
And post your comments and/or bug reports there. Thank you.
We love XMP!

RLD

Δηάŗ©Ħî§Ŧ on the left.
May 15, 2004
Most of those maps are teh sux0rz...sorry. :(

DOH!...that dam first amendment again...

NRK

Nercury
Apr 20, 2004
Lithuania
RLD said:
Most of those maps are teh sux0rz...sorry. :(

DOH!...that dam first amendment again...

Ok, i must ask you and others who just "hates" something before looking or even playing it few questions:
- What maps DO you like at all?
- What should map have to be good for you?
- What would you like to add to map to make it good?
so
- If you dont like Crystal garden, then maybe you dont like the original garden too? Because there is new gametype added to it. Maybe you dont like new gametype? Also there is Human Cannon. Have you tried it?
- Uranium Echo, Last Rites and Heavenly Hell have some fps issues. Maybe you dont like them because of that?
- Uranium Echo is still being fixed now. So we ask everyone who find a hole in the terrain or some other bug post screenshot here. We know most of the bugs (i hope), but we also want this map to become best in CXP pack. Thats why we ask you to help.
- Simplicity, Artidozenraptors, Duality are small maps for rapid action. Maybe you dont like such maps too, but there are people who loves them. So we added support for 8 and 12 arty levels to display artifact state corectly.
- Maybe ValleyOfTheDeath or Heavenly Hell seems not good for you, but we added two modified vehicles to them: Raptinger and Supernaut.

By The Way, ANY mapper who want to create something better may use new vehicles, new gametypes in his own map. But only after final version is released.
What i wanted to say that we need exact info about bugs to fix them. I know we all like playing XMP and we all want to make it better :D

cyb

Dec 15, 2003
hmmpf, ok. speaking only for myself now. maybe it's my weird and strange taste. so it could be only me.

artidozenraptors: more or less emtpy map, medium size arena with raptors, map where you need all 12! artifact in your teams 3 nodes ... call me stupid, but to register all artifacts for your team should take forever and don't come with the excuse 'we want the games last longer' (greetings to phalanx), if you want a match that lasts a while then play as a team and defend.

cemetary: a bit to foggy for my taste. and the bumpy environement makes the harbinger quite useless.

crystalgarden: cheap garden ripoff. again, it could be only me who does not like the 'neutral node' idea ... and in the end you will have to go to the normal nodes too. the 'human cannon', well, if i dodge i am faster and get as far as the cannon?!

duality: in my eyes - much to small to be a XMP map. this game is XMP not close range ctf/dm.

gecko: cheap nakoja ripoff

heavenlyhell: sorry not tested because of laziness to install the patch

lastrites: one of the few good maps for me so far

simplicity: to small, to tight hallways and noderoom, to many doors, to useless raptors.

uraniumecho:already stated that there is no radar and the fps issue, well ...

valleyofthedead: more or less ok, but still contains some spots to get stuck, the route through the cave is a bit to short compared to the way around the mountains
^this is only my view. so now feel free to rip me apart for my 'bad' taste.

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
we will take those into account, and also the raptors are not useless, it is a great map for them, if you know how to move them in very small areas.

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
yeah valley is similar to sunset in some ways
the cave in sunset is the shorter route and because raptors are in the outside area it should be about the same speed going either way
artidozen can be ended in 16 minuites
and yes we do want the games to last longer 1-5 mins are crap games

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
*reads the Duality reason* Ouch that hurts. More or less it was practice, imported old ut textures, played with the sizing, and I actually like this map, if you think this was close quarters m8, I'd hate to see ur face if u ever played on cXp-CloseQuarters

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
First of all, I'd really hope people can get a full blown match, at least a 4 on 4, before making judgement on any XMP map (made by anyone).

Since I made Crystal Garden I'll respond for it:
cyb said:

crystalgarden: cheap garden ripoff. again, it could be only me who does not like the 'neutral node' idea ... and in the end you will have to go to the normal nodes too. the 'human cannon', well, if i dodge i am faster and get as far as the cannon?!​
Crystal Garden was fully intended as a demostration for the new Crystal gametype, which is support for neutral node. I chose to use an existing and popular map in order to make a direct comparison, to show how dramatically the new gametype can change your strategies.
The main idea here is that you do not need energy to register at the Crystal Node. Stealing an enemy artifact and not being able to register it at your own node is what ended a lot of matches, and IMO that's not a lot of fun. Use the Crystal Node to at least make it neutral, and game on.
A neutral, or Crystal Artifact, cannot be returned by a player. Players from either team will carry it when they touch it (unless they already carry another artifact). That is, this new type of artifact will belong to the last man standing, and not disappear in the middle of a battle.
Since you don't want your artifact to turn purple like above, this leads to another strategic counter: defend the Crystal Node. You might bump into an enemy carrier who just came out of your base ;)
But at the same time you don't want to leave the gens alone... This gametype gives both team the ability to dip well below the 800 level, and still bounce back to win the game. Watch your last Crystal carrier with care, and the chances of his artifact disappearing is slim.

Of course, it will take time for people to start strategizing with all the above, and possibly more, in mind. People can still play any Crystal game like a normal XMP game, only that they will lose to the team that make better use of the new strategies. In true XMP spirit, I hope this gametype makes us *think* again, just like XMP did.

As for the Human Cannon. Well it was made for fun, guess I don't have to explain that :D Since there wasn't a better map to put it in, I put it in my own. It does shoot you about twice as far as you can sprint dodge jet, and through the air you can avoid quite a bit of crossfire too. Coincidentally, I think it helps people bring the artifacts out of the bases, matching the theme of the new gametype.

The Harby gives people a bit more speed around the map; less hiking. And by putting the Jugg outside, I hope to see more people use it instead of leaving it to rust :D

RLD

Δηάŗ©Ħî§Ŧ on the left.
May 15, 2004
Dandeloreon1984 said:
why do you hate our maps? we are just trying to add some varied gameplay.
I didn't say "HATE" I said "sux0rs"

cyb's explanations are a close approximation of my own thoughts.

FurociousFa

Banned
Apr 1, 2004
MI
sorry, but artidozen is almost ALWAYS a 50+ minute game because of point whores who just go around gutblowing.

simplicity - confuses me to hell, the lifts are TOO fast, and the doors are not friendly

last rites- bad fps

heavenly hell - hills a bit TOO steep, i thought nrk said he would put walls around the bases

valleyofthedead- like sunset? you gotta be ****ting me man, make a base =much cooler than open node

uranium echo- besides fps great map, although the race track around node area is pointless

duality - fun but bland

gecko - funner in some situations, much lesser fps tho

cemetary - alot of sweet features, but some of the deploys are basically in middle of nowhere and seemed like they were put there, so the map would have deploys, things aren't layed out intelligently.. very nice nodes though.

=vD=Auron

XMP Beta Tester
Jan 22, 2004
I think cxp is pretty good. Just like in every map pack some good maps some ok maps some bad maps.

Artidozen- This map is fun for the first 10 minutes, then just gets into a raptor gutblow fest and score whoring and just boring. I've never played a game where that map is capped out, so its always an hour long.

simplicity- A little small, but good for shotgunning people to death in one shot and flamethower.

gecko- A nice nakoja rehash where managing energy is a bit harder and the jug at the base adds a lot to the defense.

duality- Same as simplicity.

uranium echo- looks great, good map layout, just no radar but the fps is good.

cemetary- pretty cool ideas and stuff, and nice node layout, but the deploys are just kinda there.

valleyofthedead- ok map that can be fun, but isnt like sunset with the nodes open.

Crystal Garden- I like the new gameplay style, though it would be funner with more than just a handful of people. The neutral node adds more strategy to xmp, but would be hard to pull off with just 3 or 4 on a team.

lastrites- Good map with an awesome layout, just the FPS needs to be fixed and it would own.

Thanks CXP guys for making these new maps, just hope people will play them and they not end up like the AP maps (which some are actually really good).

dA_gay

Banned
Jul 4, 2004
OMG AURON STOP MAKING LOVE TO YOUR EGO

WHEN THE KIDS HAD KILLED THE MAN, I HAD TO BREAK UP THE BAND

(HENCE AKA ZIGGY STARDUST PLEASE SEE MY PREVIOUS POST)

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
Coming from ppl that actually matter ur opinions do count......all except da_gay's - ne how, there will be another gothic map I'm going to come out with as well as a few others - and Cemetary wasn't supposed to be released......I've been "misguided" so to speak. Maps will be fixed. - If you have ne reports of bugs on the maps, plz post them in our forums (or here).

Status
Not open for further replies.