Zero Ping Users: Please read.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
F

[FiS]Prophetus|PUF

I was right all along about zp fragging players after they ran around a corner or ducked from view. I'm with CHRYSt on this one.

bullet2.gif

Lure the Tiger out of the mountains...
Then run your @ss off fool!

[Ci]Prophetus][PuF][

B

BitchSmack

This was a message I received from "Jibe" the creator of the Zero Ping mutator, when I emailed him about several problems people have been having with his mod.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
The current version does have odd side-effects that lpb's
will notice and interpret as lag. Most noticable:
visible-beam weapons look like they miss you but cause
damage anyway; it's possible to get sniped AFTER you've
duck behind a corner; and the InstaGib gun behaves a
little differently, making it fail to fire a second shot
sometimes. I'm fixing all of these in the next release.
I haven't had any complaints of pinging probs per se, but
a lot of lpb's say zp just doesn't "feel right," which
I'm hoping to address with the fixes i mentioned. The
next release should feel great for everyone, assuming the
server and network are behaving. I really think it'll
solve your problems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So...if you are experiencing problems such as Ping Spikes, Extended Packet Loss, "Your game just doesn't feel right"...then there is your answer.

------------------
"The only thing that makes life
bearable is the knowledge that
some poor bastard has it much
worse than you" - hrdwaremyk³

"Sit! Roll Over! Play dead! Stay that way!" - BitchSmack

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
It'll never feel right. Don't you think the epic boys tried client side determination? Of course they did. It's been done, and decided that it doesn't work. ZP will simply never play fair.

bullet2.gif

"Where's the BACTINE?! Some of this blood is MINE!!" -- JTHM

B

BitchSmack

i couldn't agree more with ya CHRYSt

bullet2.gif

"The only thing that makes life
bearable is the knowledge that
some poor bastard has it much
worse than you" - hrdwaremyk³

"Sit! Roll Over! Play dead! Stay that way!" - BitchSmack

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
I agree with CHRYSt. Anyway, ping and network delay will slowly decrease in the future, I'm quite sure of that. Soon online games will be much more realistic. Be patient!

bullet2.gif

[NME]Pope
Now roaming a server near you

B

BloW__Smoke

Not that i'm a quake3 lover, but this problems doesn't arise in that game.
And there was an topic of this to in the devep. forum about how take care of this in the new patch.

But them, i'm only a gamer, not a programmer and every mod that make a frag easer seem like cheating to me

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Raise the BS flag...

Quake3 is ALL about low ping - even the Quake'ers will agree on this. That's where the original LPB came from. An average player in Q3 but has a 50 ping will totally mop up an excellent player with a 300 ping.

With UT, I've seen some VERY impressive players at 300ms+. I had to check their ping more than once to believe it.

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

EvilAsh

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
I have beaten.. LPB's in both UT and Q3.
ITs all about Skill baby. An average player with A great ping will not beat a Great player with average ping.

I have never played a game with broadband speed except for about 2 days. The last 4 years its always been a modem. And I have adjusted to it very well.

Just ask Folks like CliffyB. He plays on a T1. And I gave him all he can handle. PING DOESN't MATTER. In UT or Q3. AS far as Q3 being an LPB game. LOL. Its just that more LPB's have Bought Q3. IT doesn't mean that you need to be an lpb to dominate in Q3.
And no not all q3 fans believe a Super Ping will get you far in Dm. You better have Great skills. I have fought against so many players who are cocky because they have Broadband.

BroadBand Does not equal Dominance.

The Number player in UT is a modem player.
Nuff Said

bullet2.gif

Ash:"I said your words..
I got the book so send me back. Like in the deal!

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Feel right? To whom? Lpbs, right? I assure you, zp feels nothing *but* fair to this dial-up hpb. Canus|FAT mentioned in playing the other night that instagib zp would spoil us for regular instagib CTF. He was absolutely correct. /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

Play fair? That's two different things as I see it;
1) some kind of unspoken mutually beneficial moral code people adopt because it makes sense to do so for mutual gaming enjoyment (keeping the same number of players on each team in team games and so forth, not blasting someone who's typing a message, not camp-firing at spawn points, etc.)

2)level playing field. When you write that zp does not play fair, I'm interpreting that to be in this second category. You'll have fair play when everyone on the planet has access to some kind of instaneous broadband connection. Until then (and don't give me that "patience" crap; it's easy to be patient with a great connection) there isn't going to be connection equality.

From my global hpb dial-up perspective (read: some people are wired for detail, some wired for the Big Picture - I'm unfortunately a Big Picture guy), zp is all *about* fair play, enabling a guy with a 600 ping to compete on some kind of level playing field with a guy without any meaningful ping. There's no greater rush than to be able to bob around a corner, see an enemy appear way down field, snap off a shot, and see him fall. Lpbs have that capacity out of the box. zp levels that playing field for those who don't have that kind of access.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
EA - "The Number player in UT is a modem player."

I assume you meant the #1 UT player uses a modem...

Ahem? By what do you judge? The top 10 DeathMatch players on ngWorldstats (aside from one KEG player - but it's been proven that some of them setup "fake" players with stats and knock them down to boost their stats) have less than 150ms ping. Most are around 100ms.

You show me a modem player that gets pings that low and I gotta bridge I'll sell ya.

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
Im going back to that Quake thing.

Yes, thats total B.S.
Quakes weapons are almost all about accuracy, unlike unreal. A 300 ping user in unreal can mop the floor with someone who has a 100 ping, because some weapon use a damage radius. Like the ASMD. Thats how I abused people with lower ping. Aint no way in hell I was sniping them

B

BloW__Smoke

Thrue, i've been beaten too by HPB's and i'm not ashamed of it.
I read the zp discussion for a while (other tpoic) and onlything that came up to me is, that is doesn't matter what ping you got.
I've you'r good, you'll win, no matter what ping you got (ok there are exceptions, &gt;1000 ping is impossible to play).

I've got cable, and a avarage ping of 30 to 50, but there are day's that my ping goes up over 300 to 400, and still manage to win those games.
But when i've got 40 to 50 and my opponents have 300 to 500, it rather difficult to hit them, course of the irratic movement.
Also killing an HPB is sometimes impossible, i'll play much instagib, and see sometimes a stupid lamer who doesnt seem to notice me, easy target he, wel no the **** got a 300+ ping and a point blanc shot ON HIS BODY hit's and no kill, he turn around, doesn't shoot (so it look to me) and i'm a gonner.
So in my opionion the LPB is the one with dissadvantage (seems stupid but happens often).

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
But it *does* matter what ping you've got. True, you can continually improve until you've mastered your game, but limitations are limitations and you won't be able to go to that next level until some of the limitations are eliminated.

zp is one way to do that where broadband connection is impractical or impossible. Granted, it's not for everyone, but it *is* for the percentage of the UT population that lives in hpb dial-up land. What do you suppose the % is right now of cable users to modem users? zp is in incremental step toward better all-around gameplay.

EvilAsh

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
I have gotten 160ms pings in UT. Ask people Like Up yours. This is absolute fact. I was told by other modem players that I was a LPB. LOL. And yes the better ping will allow a player to go up a level.. But ITs not automatic. You don't go from 56modem to using SDSL and automatically start dominatiing. you actually have to adjust to the better connection. And it takes hours of playing to adjust to the difference.

I am an HPB. And I am proud baby.
HPB's RULE!

bullet2.gif

Ash:"I said your words..
I got the book so send me back. Like in the deal!

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
A couple of servers I play on I usually ping in around 120 to 130, and I had this run in with a cable modem player pinging about the same. So when I beat him royally bad, he said good game and then asked what kind of cable modem I was using I laughed and said I don't have a cable modem yet /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif i'm using a straight 56k! He told me I was full of **** to lol ..

bullet2.gif

Super(ST)Trooper is fragging like no other!!

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
Oh boy, another ZP thread!!!!!! I still like ZP. None of the ZP servers that I can ping to are all that good, mostly 350 to 500ms and higher. Best servers for "no zp mod" ping at 250 for me (and I see quite a few at that ping). Zp makes for a far better game IMO, even if I am stuck at a higher ping. The flak and RL are fairly simple to compensate for lag, but it is really nice to have the rifle, shock rifle and enforcer working better.
Sure I can get lots of head shots without ZP in a fairly close proximity firefight, but there are just those moments (mostly in CTF) where you just HAVE to be able to make a long shot in a hurry, and without ZP its hopeless.

HWAS

Dec 26, 1999
Carnegie, PA USA
members.tripod.com
Rooster - where did you see these excellent UT players with a 300+ ping? They are 31337 for their ping, but they can't compete with a person w/50ms...same as any other action game, Q3 included.
BTW the only thing that makes Quake 3 better for LPBs is the Railgun, and it still isn't that useful, compared to the Quake 2 Railgun. Now there was a game that catered to LPBs (like me). The game speed is just too fast in Q3. Whatever game it is, if my ping happens to be 300ms, all the HPWs will beat me... /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

bullet2.gif

"If Hellen Keller was psychic, could you say she had a fourth sense?" -George Carlin

Stamp

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Why is it that it's OK for an LP to be able to shoot an HP after they have gone around a corner, but not vice-versa? Why is it wrong when an LP has a point-blank shot at an HP that doesn't kill him, when HP experience the same thing all the time? Why is it OK for an LP to be able to run up to an HP and kill them before the HP even sees them? Why is it OK for an LP to be able to T/L all over the place, but not an HP?

Too many times I've sneaked up behind a player and layed into him with my Flak or R/L only for them to turn around and pop me with one shot. To many times I've had the flag carrier in front of me running backwards towards me, unaware of my presence, and have thrown everything at them, only for them to come through unscyathed.

LP pays for their connection and therefor deserve their advantages(never mind that HP might not have the same connection available) and modem users suck. Right?

This, IMO , is par for the course. In a perfect game, in a perfect world it wouldn't happen, but it does. It happens because of the difference between the pings of the players and the stability of their connections and neither ZP nor any other Mod is going to fix that.

btw. 31337? I'm around 4000 at the moment on the CTF quarterly and have been as high as 800 and my ping is closer to 400 than 300.

TheRock

The Official BuF MASCOT
Nov 10, 1999
Smackdown Hotel
members.ud.com
The Rock has stayed in the shadows to long. The Rock has watched this thread. and Finally The Rock can't take it anymore. The Rock is sick of the Whining.. THE PISSING AND THE MOANING!

The Rock has played with some of the best UT players in the world.... And ask Them and they will admit That The Rock's Skill's overcame any weakness in his 56k connection.

50ms ping does not EQUAL DOMINANCE.

But still the people wonder.. does ping make a difference?

The Rock has your answer.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT PING YOU HAVE!

It matters who is playing behind that ping.
All those who have played Voyd.. Are you going to sit here and Tell the Rock that Voyd's only a skilled player because he has a cable modem? the LPB whining is an excuse. For those who must cover up their weaknesses in PLaying UT. If you can't play UT well online.. And you averaging like 200ms ping.. guess what? ITs not the lpb's fault. Its Your own damn fault. Stay offline and play against bots all day. And Let the Rest of us 56k players who do dominate play in peace. WE are sick of all these whiners who downplay our skills. There are millions and millions of 56k modem players out there. And a ton of them DO ROCK HARD in UT. And other FPS shooters online. The Rock has wupped some candyass in Q3 as well. The next person who whines.. The Rock challenges them to a battle. Pick a server And the Rock will show up And show you how a 56k modem player CAn REALLY play.

bullet2.gif

IF YA SMELL LA! LA! LA!
WHAT THE PU MASCOT IS....
........... Cooking!