PDA

View Full Version : Two small issues

invicticide
29th Jun 2004, 09:59 PM
1. I saw bots on my team trying to steal enemy jars when the enemy had no clones left, and thus no jars. The bots just stacked themselves up on the spot where the jar would've been and stood there, ignoring the environment around them.

2. Toward the end of one game, the blue team dropped to 0 clones and a countdown began. About halfway through that countdown, the red team (me) also dropped to 0 clones. Once the blue team's countdown expired, the game ended with BLUE TEAM winning. (?) At no point during the countdown did blue team acquire any clones - at least not that I saw. The difference between both teams' countdowns was a good 10... umm, units, or whatever your weird multi-second timing steps are. ;)

Incidentally, *is* the countdown supposed to go that slow? It was counting down one every 3-4 seconds, rather than every second... Not a problem for me, gameplay wise, but it felt kinda strange, so I thought I'd bring it up.

Great mod, by the way! Loads of personality, and I LOVE the Moscowboy. Funniest (and funnest) vehicle I think I've ever driven. Can't control it with the strafe keys though, what's up with that?

That is all.

hottoast
30th Jun 2004, 05:33 PM
1. I saw bots on my team trying to steal enemy jars when the enemy had no clones left, and thus no jars. The bots just stacked themselves up on the spot where the jar would've been and stood there, ignoring the environment around them.

2. Toward the end of one game, the blue team dropped to 0 clones and a countdown began. About halfway through that countdown, the red team (me) also dropped to 0 clones. Once the blue team's countdown expired, the game ended with BLUE TEAM winning. (?) At no point during the countdown did blue team acquire any clones - at least not that I saw. The difference between both teams' countdowns was a good 10... umm, units, or whatever your weird multi-second timing steps are. ;)

Incidentally, *is* the countdown supposed to go that slow? It was counting down one every 3-4 seconds, rather than every second... Not a problem for me, gameplay wise, but it felt kinda strange, so I thought I'd bring it up.

Great mod, by the way! Loads of personality, and I LOVE the Moscowboy. Funniest (and funnest) vehicle I think I've ever driven. Can't control it with the strafe keys though, what's up with that?

Invicticide,

Thanks for pointing out the bugs. The end conditions are a little weird, but what you describe sounds just wrong. We'll look into it. As for the AI of the bots... well, it still needs a little work, I guess. I'll let the AI programmer know.

Incidentally, that same AI guy (Chris Linder) is the one who set the timer of the endgame to be those abnormally long time-chunks. We call them "Chris-Seconds" here in the office. :)

Sorry that you can't control the Moscowboy with the direction keys. We discussed adding it as an option before, but the consensus in the office was that the mouse driving was much preferable.

Thanks again for the bug-catching.

Cheers,
Tom

invicticide
30th Jun 2004, 07:33 PM
So what exactly *are* the end conditions? As far as I can tell, the first team to fall to zero clones, and stay there for x amount of Chris-seconds (lol) is the loser. Correct?

I can see where controlling the Moscowboy with the keyboard might make it a little difficult, it just seemed weird in that it's out of sync with the other vehicles' controls. It works fine, just something I noticed.

Congrats on making Phase 3 Finalist, by the way!

That is all.

hottoast
30th Jun 2004, 07:36 PM
Yep, that's right. When you have no clones for X amount of time, you lose. If you drop off a clone jar or turn a pump on AND get a clone from it, the timer will reset.

Thanks for the support regarding the msuc! We're pretty excited. :)

Cheers,
Tom

phrog
6th Jul 2004, 11:44 AM
If both teams are at 0, what are the victory conditions? Is it based on score or something similar, or is it random or what?

Kerjo
6th Jul 2004, 02:09 PM
Having the Moscowboy be mouse controlled is the right way to do it, I think. It lets you whip it around much faster than keyboard controls. Or, if you were to have keyboard controls sensitive enough to whip it around, you wouldn't be able to steer.

I have been able to whip the cowboy around _too_ fast though, which results in some really funky spinning on every axis the thing has. Maybe the vehicle handling isn't up to par quite yet? Or is that just a funky bug that happens when you try to do it too fast?

Kerjo
6th Jul 2004, 02:16 PM
Oh, and the victory conditions do seem a little whack. I had the 0 to 0 thing happen to me last night, and the other team ended up winning.

The Chris-seconds are good. They provide you with a little warning that you're going to lose unless you get over there and steal a jar.

If I see a bot from my team sitting over there trying to steal jars where there are none, a little rocket in the face sets him straight. I've never seen them pile up before though.