PDA

View Full Version : BeyondUnreal Welcomes Eon Forums

Sparky
26th Jun 2004, 05:13 AM
We're happy to welcome our latest hosted forum for the in-development Eon modification for UT2004. Stop by their new forum and say hello. We'll dispatch the Monkey's if you don't!

grimstar
26th Jun 2004, 05:24 AM
Impressive.

Selerox
26th Jun 2004, 05:28 AM
Since when is BU giving hosting to game companies? :hmm:

SanitysEdge
26th Jun 2004, 01:27 PM
Since Clone Bandits got a fourm and Since Infiltration got a fourm.

hal
26th Jun 2004, 05:06 PM
It's a UT2004 mod. We've got lot's of those here. :)

Selerox
26th Jun 2004, 06:13 PM
True, but it's done by a commercial company out to get a cheap Unreal licence from Epic via the MSUC, at the same time as pulling the rug from under community modders.

Which I don't think is 100% fair. Just my opinion...

hal
26th Jun 2004, 06:51 PM
No, there's lots of pros trying to win the prize in all categories! Look through the past Phase winners, though, and you'll find the little guy does just as well. :)

In the end we all win:

1) Gamers get more cool stuff for free
2) Mod team members get noticed and hired (see, oh... just about any good mod team and notice how many of them get hired by developers)
3) Lots of content authors are winning great prizes.

HyPer[Eon]
26th Jun 2004, 08:07 PM
If we dont qualify for MSU than nobody does.

We develop Eon entirely in our free time, the contest is a great driving factor but more than that is the desire to please gamers and introduce our game systems which can hopefully advance the FPS experence in a small or large way.

What do gamers get? Free game demo hopefully worth playing :) what do we get out of it? a further refinement of our own skills aswell as a great business card - Eon along side the rest of our commercial projects.

And the fact that we work professioaly at times and free at other times should not disqualify or make us any less deserving of MSU prizes because Effigy, Magdelena2 and im sure several other works of art and programming were created by iether full time or part time professional developers/contractors. Its a contest, if some team manages to put money behind it and win or win on free time, its simply about the best of any given catagory. The contest isnt there to reward the un talented or the those learning, It rewards tallent.

All in all I hope we can live up to the art gameplay wise and sofar im confident we can, if not exceed the art with gameplay, but thats for you people to decide, I hope you enjoy it.

igNiTion
27th Jun 2004, 01:00 AM
congrats on the hosting :)

SanitysEdge
27th Jun 2004, 11:07 PM
it's done by a commercial company out to get a cheap Unreal licence from Epic via the MSUC, at the same time as pulling the rug from under community modders.
Opionion of the bolded part: Yep, thats right, becase they cant afford a licence just like all the other modders.

Opionion of the underlined part: Just as all the other modders are trying there best to pull the rug from the other community modders.

ActionHaNk
28th Jun 2004, 07:24 AM
']All in all I hope we can live up to the art gameplay wise and sofar im confident we can, if not exceed the art with gameplay, but thats for you people to decide, I hope you enjoy it.

Are you guys going to make a lower poly version from your mod? Otherwise gameplay would be pretty hard with 2fps :rolleyes:

Anyway good luck with the project. The Art is indeed great!

HyPer[Eon]
28th Jun 2004, 12:19 PM
yes yes, :) well sorta, we will make sure it runs better, that i promis.. also it will not be at the expense of the visuals so dont worry about that iether.
its still going to be slow on slower machines, this is aimed at higher preformance PCs but it should be playable with an "ok" gaming machine. Graphicly Eon is intended to be a step or 3 above ut2004.