Everglide does UT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
[Phy climbs aboard the soapbox]

So you haven't run out and gotten your Everglide mousepad yet? You're in luck! The latest word is that Everglide is coming out with cool new Giganta mousepads (black!?)around the beginning of next month with cool new logos. So far, there have been designs for UT, Razor Boomslang, Half-life, and Tribes: http://www.extremehw.com/reviews/controllers/giganta/new_designs.html. (I have the basic blue; as much as I'd love to have the new black UT pad, these things should last forever. Oh well.)

Extreme Hardware worked up a pretty good review that details what the Giganta is all about: http://www.extremehw.com/reviews/controllers/giganta/

(In case you're wondering, what I get out of all this is the satisfaction of seeing other gamers discover an exceptional product; really. I paid for mine and it has been a genuinely pleasant surprise. Oh, and if you were wondering if "early next month" is April 1, April Fool's Day, I sent an e-mail to Everglide today asking about that very thing. I heard back from David Welsh himself, Everglide's President. This is what he said:
"Thanks for your interest.

No it is not a prank, but it is good of you to follow-up.

Robert is handling the design on the Unreal pad. He will be better able to
give you a harder date for our launch.

Good luck".

So whether it's 4/1/2000 or something else, it sounds like a UT Everglide Giganta is for real and may be released soon. I envy those who will get one because I'm not about to fork over another 20 bucks just for a cooler mousepad. /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif
[Phy hops off the soapbox, narrowly avoiding being fragged...]

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
Damn damn damn!!!! I got my Everglide gaming pad a while ago. When I bought mine, the only cool one, that I liked, was the one with the Q3A symbol on it. I really wanted a UT symbol, but I figured if I couldn't get it, I'd settle for the Q3A one. Better than nothing. And now they do this! AAaaargh.

Course...that Giganta's kinda ugly, and I'm actually quite happy with the size of my gaming pad. Blah on them!

But yes...for those of you who don't have an Everglide pad, get one! They kick *** . They up your mouses sensitivity (due to a better gripping surface), are hard plastic so they're always flat(although I've heard complaints from a few people that they've gotten a pad that's slightly warped...bummer), are washable(ie, in the sink...be carefull not to scrape off your cool logo!), and don't shed particles that can clog up your mouse.

If you've ever switched from ps2/serial to USB for your mouse, you'll get a similar increase in performance. And they look great a LAN parties when ya whip one out(Especially for all you lucky folks who get one with a UT symbol!!!!! /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif)

bullet2.gif

-[CMi]Soul-Crusher
www.cosmicmonstersinc.com

I

ImagoX

Yeah, what's it like? Why do YOU like them (you sell them or something?) =)

I personally use the "3M Precise Mouse Surface" which I'm totally in love with. It's a flat piece of micro-textured plastic as thick as a peice of paper, which grabs the mouse ball- wonderful. The best thing is that it does not get grunge all over your balls (so to speak...heh), and if you spill something on it (like diet pepsi...AHEM!) you can run it under hot water and it's like new...

-ImagoX

Viper504

Jan 2, 2000
Visit site
i just bought my Giganta yesterday I just got the plain one who cares about the symbol on it it aint going to improve you performance

FenderTX

Dec 6, 1999
Texas
Visit site
its long past time you guys give up the balls..i finally just had it up to hear with all the cleaning and inspecting of the balls..so now your buying pads and worrying about gripping surfaces just to make sure your balls function properly..no no I'm not talking about surgical castration here..I'm talking about laser mice!..who needs a everglide and whatnot when you have a intellimouse optical..you wouldn't believe how free you feel when you finally get rid of your balls..its like a weight off your peter..oh wait i'm not talking about that..but the intellimouse rules..I've never had it skip or malfunction in a week of use and the refresh rate is superfast..i definitely reccommend you at least try it out..find someone who got rid of their balls and put your hand on their mouse..fling it around a bit..you'll like the look and feel of it

wiggum_pi

Dec 28, 1999
Visit site
Talk to Rooster... he has an Everglide and an Intellimouse Explorer. BTW, I hear the Intellimouse Explorer works best on a black mousepad with no images or graphical designs.

bullet2.gif

Who's gonna be the odd man out? I want to be the odd man out.
-- [Ci]CookieMnstr|PuF

HWAS

Dec 26, 1999
Carnegie, PA USA
members.tripod.com
Everglide-schmeverglide! I have an Intellimouse Explorer too and have tried it on countless surfaces, and it doesn't really make a difference what kind of surface it is on, just as long as it is a solid color (like gray or black). Although I have never tried an Everglide pad with it...

bullet2.gif

"If Hellen Keller was psychic, could you say she had a fourth sense?" -George Carlin

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
No, I'm not a company shill, I just play one at the forum... /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

I discovered Everglide right here when my wrists started to ache like crazy using the trackball. I got the Logitech Vista trackball (blue ball, 3 buttons; 1 thumb-button and 2 buttons to the right of the ball) in the first place because I thought a regular mouse was wrecking my wrist. And I was OK for the most part until I got UT. The problem was that the constant moving and clicking was putting too much strain on my wrist. I tried a litany of other products (joysticks, gamepads, specialty sticks, gaming mice - you name it) and wasn't getting anywhere until I came across the Intellimouse Explorer. The USB optical mouse was not only super precise, it was comfortable to use, has a higher refresh rate, 5 buttons, and the now ubiquitous wheel (which I've grown fond of).

That's where the Everglide comes in.

While I was getting an immediate boost from the optical mouse, I had read and heard that I could get an even greater peformance boost with the Everglide. I got the Giganta as soon as it came out and I'm a believer. Combined with the optical mouse, the precision is unbelievable. It's so easy to move and so accurate.

It's not often that I run into a simple product that really knocks my socks off, but this is one of em.

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Hey Fender;
I'lve had my IE optical mouse since January. I, too, was just using it on my computer hutch desktop and was happy as clam with the sensitivity until I tried the Everglide. (I got mine because I needed the wristrest.)

You know how much more accurate the optical mouse was over the std. mouse? Adding the Everglide made my shots that much *more* accurate. Hence my own personal enthusiasm.

B

BloW__Smoke

i got an intellimouse(optical) too, and tried on a lanparty the everglide pad.
But for optical mouses it sucks, i don't like tracktionsurfaces for my optical, and any mousepad are almost only made for standard ballmouses.
Now i'll use for a mousepad a piece of white kevlarboard, the surface is as virgin ice surface, and is cheaper as an everglide (at least here in holland), and can be bought in almost every hardwarestore (no not a computerhardware store).

bullet2.gif

Just relax, take a BloW__Smoke

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Well, I had posted a thread or two about this (use the Forum Search®). I will say this again: If you are using a normal mouse pad (with our without an optical mouse), or your desktop, you owe it to yourself to get one of these EverGlide pads. You may reason with yourself that it shouldn't make any difference but it does. Combined with the (perfectly sized) gel wristrest, it's probably the best $40 I've spent on my computer setup.

Yes, as CookieMonster said, I have the Intellimouse Explorer & a Giganta (the larger mousing surface is AWESOME).

Btw BloW, all Everglide pads work perfect with optical mice - and pure white surfaces are actually warned against on the optical mouse packages. You'll more likely have trouble with it, than EverGlide mouse pads.

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 03-16-2000).]

B

BloW__Smoke

Yes and No rooster, i've tried the everglide, and yes it MUTCH(x10) better as ordenairy mousepad's, but the surface can be smoother for opticals (maybe i explained it not right, course i'm not english and don't alway's how to put it to the right words)
But (that's personal taste) i don't like the bumbs on the surface (tracktion of the surface) of the everglide, i had rather an perfect smooth pad.

And i now uses allready a week or 4 that kevlar board, with NO weirdness to the optical eye, but then kevlar isn't perfect wite, but a feight yellow color, and there is also the fibergrooves (i don't excactly how to write this, before anyone misunderstand me) are viseble to the eye and can't refect to itself (what would course irrectic movement)(Think that you ment that).

But yes on a PERFECT snow white board the optical woudn't work.
I'm NOT telling the everglide is bad, contruary JUST BUY IT !!!!, but where i live the everglide is nearly impossible to get yet, and this is a good and cheap alternative

bullet2.gif

Just relax, take a BloW__Smoke

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Woohoo!

I've been using an Intellimouse Explorer at home and the Logitech Trackman Marble FX (the *big* red ball) at work. I've become addicted to my laser rodent, and started taking it back and forth with me to work. I forgot it at home one day and my disappointment was great.

When I first got to (where I work) a couple of years ago, I followed the trail of money and power to our Purchasing Dept. We have a small company (thus far), so that's one guy. I introduced myself to him and introduced him to the greatest LAN game ever created, Carmageddon (the original one, not C2). We've been gaming for an hour each day at lunch for the past two years. Good guy to know.

I forgot my mouse for the second time a day or two ago and he caught wind that I was without it. I discovered that he ordered the same mouse for me to use here at work so I don't have to trundle it back and forth! Yeehaw!

I'd ask them to get spring for the UT everglide but I don't think I better push my luck... /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

Chum

Jan 13, 2000
Visit site
Another opinion on Everglide and I-Explorer:

I got my laser about 3 weeks ago (yes, it's as good as everyone states), and heard about the everglide pad. Figured, what the hell and bought one.

When you first get the pad, it's a bit strange. The Intelli moves differently than a mechanical. But now, after 4 days of gaming, I'm used to the pad and can tell a huge difference when I try my cloth.

Although, I would like to try that Kevlarboard idea.

my $.02

Chum

BaronSamedi

RA Konig
Mar 13, 2000
Sheffield, UK
Visit site
Ahhh a UT everglide mousemat...the perfect gift for my intellimouse explorer.

Even though im all the way out at the uk....i'll still get one.

bullet2.gif

"Tiz i Saron Baramedi!!"

Seven is the answer and the answer is seven!!...........................................Im not mad..im just a bit strange?!

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
The IE optical mouse is getting some attention here at work. Other people are impressed with the precision doing basic graphic manipulation. And the mouse really makes my help authoring task easier and (dare I say it?) more fun.

I know,I know! I'll have the company buy me the UT pad (which I'll take home)and I'll bring the limited edition (frankly boring) blue one in to work! This day is getting better all the time... /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
MOUSE PAD!!! I DONT NEED NO STINKING MOUSE PAD!!!! MUHAHAHA
i just use the table with my explorer mouse
just gotta make sure the table is clean /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

"I like this book because of its cover. This book sucks, the cover sucks." -XS