Won't start in OS 9

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lexthilian

Jun 15, 2004
I am having problems starting up Infiltration in OS9. I installed it on a fresh copy of Unreal Tournament, it has the 436 version,and I used the script editor to change the OS 9 launcher to see the right version of UT. When I try to run Infiltration in 9, I always get the same message: "Unreal Tournament can not be launched because it is not an application."
I tried using the alias that was put on the desktop, tried running from the icon itself and tried using the OS 9 launcher, all give me the same message. Infiltration runs in OS X but the frame rate is just too slow to be playable. How can I fix this to run in OS9?

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
I had that same problem with 2.86. Got rid of OS9 right before 2.9 came out, so I never had a chance to try. And yes, Preview 3 is terrible. I feel your pain. :(

Ryan Gordon is still working on the OSX port of UT, although, who knows when he'll finally be satisfied with it.

icculus.org

He mentioned in an update (check the archives if you want to see the progress/problems he's been having with it) that, even though there are still some serious bugs in it, he may release a new version of "Preview X" because something is better than nothing. Hopefully he does.

I think Erehwon uses OS9 to play INF. He may be able to help you out.

If all else fails, you could always build a cheap PC strictly for gaming. ;)

Lexthilian

Jun 15, 2004
Well actually I have been thinking of getting a pc just for gaming. My Mac is plenty fast for the things I like to do( graphic programs, Maya,video and music) , but I do get tired of the lack of support from game companies and game developers for the Mac. I am sure Infiltration is pretty cool but since I can't play it, I will have to try to get StrikeForce or stick with Quake 3's TrueCombat. Thanks anyway

cracwhore

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Before you do that...be warned that they are two of the worst games ever created and not worth playing....

That goes especially for True Combat.

If you still have an NES laying around, might I suggest "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out". What a game.....

There is a way to get it to run in OS9, I just never had the chance to try 2.9 on it, and I'm far too lazy to reformat my drives so I can. There are at least 5 guys that play in OS9 I'm pretty sure. Give them some time to find this post, or maybe dig around with the search function and see if this problem has already been dealt with.

Good luck getting it to run.

If you give up on OS9, be sure to come back and download it as soon as Ryan Gordon finishes the OSX port of UT.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Lexthilian said:
Well actually I have been thinking of getting a pc just for gaming. My Mac is plenty fast for the things I like to do( graphic programs, Maya,video and music) , but I do get tired of the lack of support from game companies and game developers for the Mac. I am sure Infiltration is pretty cool but since I can't play it, I will have to try to get StrikeForce or stick with Quake 3's TrueCombat. Thanks anyway

Just buy yourself a nice PC, and dual-boot WindowsXP with OS9. I've done it with OSX, although i quickly uninstalled OSX because it was useless :lol:

bigglesworth

Jun 24, 2004
Lexthilian said:
I am having problems starting up Infiltration in OS9. I installed it on a fresh copy of Unreal Tournament, it has the 436 version,and I used the script editor to change the OS 9 launcher to see the right version of UT. When I try to run Infiltration in 9, I always get the same message: "Unreal Tournament can not be launched because it is not an application."
I tried using the alias that was put on the desktop, tried running from the icon itself and tried using the OS 9 launcher, all give me the same message. Infiltration runs in OS X but the frame rate is just too slow to be playable. How can I fix this to run in OS9?

That error message basically means that OS9 is trying to launch the OSX application. Delete (or archive) the OSX application so Mac OS 9 can't launch it, then try again and it should work. If you get the same error, open the "INF_Launcher_OS9" script in Script Editor and make sure it reads 'tell application "Unreal Tournament"' instead of 'tell application "Unreal Tournament OS X"', compile the script and save it and you should be able to launch the OS 9 version of Unreal Tournament.

Hope this helps.

Lexthilian

Jun 15, 2004
Well, I have tried just about everything I can think of. I have reinstalled UT 436, reinstalled Infiltration on the fresh copy of UT, edited the OS 9 launcher with the script editor, deleted all references to the OSX version, and still the same message and it doesn't launch. It would be nice if one of the developers who made this would respond with some help.

bigglesworth

Jun 24, 2004
Lexthilian said:
Well, I have tried just about everything I can think of. I have reinstalled UT 436, reinstalled Infiltration on the fresh copy of UT, edited the OS 9 launcher with the script editor, deleted all references to the OSX version, and still the same message and it doesn't launch. It would be nice if one of the developers who made this would respond with some help.

FWIW I am one of the developers that made this -- at least the Mac installer and the Mac launcher scripts. Really the only reason you could be getting that particular error in OS 9 is that there is/are one or more copies of Unreal Tournament OS X Preview 3 on your system. Because of the way that AppleScript works on OS 9, it is being launched instead of the Unreal Tournament app you just installed, resulting in that error.

Use Sherlock to find all copies of the Unreal Tournament OS X application on your system (including any attached drives) and, as I suggested in my previous message, either delete them or archive them using StuffIt so they cannot be launched.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of machine are you trying to run Infiltration on? I've seen some posts here, including your own, talking about poor performance in Mac OS X and I'm trying to find a common thread to see if I can't help.

cracwhore

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Dual 1GHZ 1.5GB ram G4 Server, dual 80GB HD GF4Ti4600 + a 12" 1GHZ 768MB ram GF440go G4 Powerbook.

And INF runs at...mmmm...about 10FPS under Preview3. Plain UT, I got about 20FPS, but it still felt "laggy".

Quake 3 and it's horrible mods (True Combat/Urban Terror) run at a smooth FPS, since Quake was officially ported.

The performance on the G3 800MHZ iBook with Preview3 for UT (not INF) was like 10FPS. Running INF, about 1FPS..if that. I'd call that poor performance. As you can see, I have various macs to test this on...I could even try it on a G5 to assure myself that Preview 3 is indeed worthless.

I don't think even the newest Dual G5 could make Preview3 not suck. So until Ryan Gordon gives us the official port, I'm afraid INF on OSX is a myth. At least, if you expect to play it.

The OSX installer was a charm. However, the 5-15 max FPS was not.

bigglesworth

Jun 24, 2004
[LD]CrAcWhOrE said:
Dual 1GHZ 1.5GB ram G4 Server, dual 80GB HD GF4Ti4600 + a 12" 1GHZ 768MB ram GF440go G4 Powerbook.

And INF runs at...mmmm...about 10FPS under Preview3. Plain UT, I got about 20FPS, but it still felt "laggy".

Well, I just fired up plain-old UT (which I haven't played since we were testing Infiltration) and I'm seeing around 100fps with the ini file that Ryan provided with Preview 3 and map DM_Agony. In scenes with heavy fighting and lots of explosions I saw it get down to 45fps (though this was after I upped the resolution to 1280x854 I admit). This is on my 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 with 512MB RAM and Radeon Mobility 9600 with 64MB RAM.

While Infiltration 2.9 was in testing, I ran it on a 266MHz WallStreet PowerBook in OS 9 (for whatever reason I can't get X installed on it), a 500MHz Pismo in OS 9 and OS X, an 800MHz TiBook in OS 9 and OS X, and a 1GHz TiBook (though I don't remember whether it could boot into 9 or not). I hate to admit it, but I was more interested in whether or not the installer and/or launcher worked than in how well the game performed overall, but I have to say that it was playable at least against the bots.

Now that I've started looking at the performance, though, I notice that Infiltration is only running at best at 30-45fps on my 1.25GHz PowerBook. Typically, though, it's running at 15-20, occasionally dropping down to 5 when things get hairy. I've started fiddling with the ini files, but haven't seen a significant improvement yet.

I'm curious though, about why you're not seeing decent performance in plain-old UTXp3...

[LD]CrAcWhOrE said:
Quake 3 and it's horrible mods (True Combat/Urban Terror) run at a smooth FPS, since Quake was officially ported.

The performance on the G3 800MHZ iBook with Preview3 for UT (not INF) was like 10FPS. Running INF, about 1FPS..if that. I'd call that poor performance. As you can see, I have various macs to test this on...I could even try it on a G5 to assure myself that Preview 3 is indeed worthless.

I don't think even the newest Dual G5 could make Preview3 not suck. So until Ryan Gordon gives us the official port, I'm afraid INF on OSX is a myth. At least, if you expect to play it.

The OSX installer was a charm. However, the 5-15 max FPS was not.

Have you tried it on the G5? What video card does it have? I notice that your other machines have NVIDIA cards. Perhaps UTXp3 has some issues with them (I'm grabbing at straws)?

I'll keep tweaking my ini files and see what I can find...

I can't say that I'm holding my breath on Ryan releasing an "official" port for Unreal Tournament... I have a lot of respect for him, but he's busy working on other (money-making) projects. I haven't seen him update his .plan with any references to UT in a long, long time.

BTW -- have you tried UT2004?

Last edited:

cracwhore

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Yeah....

Well, you'll be happy to know that OSX won't run on a Wallstreet unless you l337z0r hack it. I'm pretty sure there are guides on how to do this, but it is generally not a good idea (so I'm told).

1GHZ Powerbooks made in 2003 can't boot OS9. Neither can the MDD G4 towers. 2003 was the year of the "Non-OS9-Booting" Mac. Kinda sucks, I liked having the option...as OS9 ended up being a powertool for fixing random things that went wrong (with other people's macs) in OSX.1-2. OSX.3 is pretty nice so far though.

All of the macs and PCs I have use GF4 cards. I might get a Radeon for my PC though, just to spice it up.

UT2k4 ran just fine on my server, didn't try it on the powerbook. iBook doesn't even meet the min. specs. I only played the demo so far. Still debating if I should buy it (at all) for my PC or for my mac. Or, if the key is valid with both, that would be better. I could just "borrow" the PC version and play on either. The only reason I'd buy UT2k4 is because of the possibility of INF being released on it...but everybody has this big boner about "FarCry" for some reason.

I didn't know Ryan made a custom .ini file. I've only used Linda's Preview3 from like 2001. Send a link my way to this mystical .ini. I haven't been paying as much attention to the UTX progress as I should have.

So as far as "tweaking" UTX; I just dumped my PC install on my mac and ran Preview3. Impressive that it launched and worked. I had to do this because the copy of UT that I purchased (foolishly expecting it to run natively in OSX...such a fool I was..) won't properly install and work with mods without giving me that "UT is not an application" BS. I had help from various other people, and the best solution after 2.5 years of fighting that problem came to "copy your PC installation". I was entirely Windows-free for a year, then I gave in and got a PC again just for INF (thanks guy who made the terrible 2.86 launcher/installer for OS9).

The only problem is that UT runs like butt, let alone INF. I was guessing at those FPS I listed before. I promptly uninstalled UTX after I found out INF wouldn't be playable on my macs. It was extremely laggy and poor with the original UTXP3 file. I don't consider 45FPS to be playable in a FPS.

Haven't tried running UTXP3 on a G5 yet. I don't really see the reason for it. I'm more interested in having portable INF since my PC handles it just fine. I'd love it on my powerbook though.

Well, the reason Ryan is running into problems with UT is because he's trying to fix up the sloppy code that Epic left behind. There are various bugs and exploits which is he fixing for the Unreal Tournament Preservation Group. Obviously, he's working on the linux stuff now, which he can then port to OSX. And yes, I'm sure he likes doing the stuff he gets paid for more than UTX. ;)

It doesn't bother me as much, since I use my macs for video/music editing and my PC for gaming only. It is annoying that 90% of the people I know only have macs and can't enjoy INF in OSX, or at decent FPS. Oh well. Let me know if you find a way to make it magically perform at 70FPS.

Seeya :)

bigglesworth

Jun 24, 2004
[LD]CrAcWhOrE said:
Yeah....

Well, you'll be happy to know that OSX won't run on a Wallstreet unless you l337z0r hack it. I'm pretty sure there are guides on how to do this, but it is generally not a good idea (so I'm told).

1GHZ Powerbooks made in 2003 can't boot OS9. Neither can the MDD G4 towers. 2003 was the year of the "Non-OS9-Booting" Mac. Kinda sucks, I liked having the option...as OS9 ended up being a powertool for fixing random things that went wrong (with other people's macs) in OSX.1-2. OSX.3 is pretty nice so far though.

I wasn't asking for help so much as trying to demonstrate that I personally tested 2.9 on a variety of machines, however all of them were portables and none of them had NVIDIA graphics processors.

[LD]CrAcWhOrE said:
All of the macs and PCs I have use GF4 cards. I might get a Radeon for my PC though, just to spice it up.

UT2k4 ran just fine on my server, didn't try it on the powerbook. iBook doesn't even meet the min. specs. I only played the demo so far. Still debating if I should buy it (at all) for my PC or for my mac. Or, if the key is valid with both, that would be better. I could just "borrow" the PC version and play on either. The only reason I'd buy UT2k4 is because of the possibility of INF being released on it...but everybody has this big boner about "FarCry" for some reason.

I didn't know Ryan made a custom .ini file. I've only used Linda's Preview3 from like 2001. Send a link my way to this mystical .ini. I haven't been paying as much attention to the UTX progress as I should have.

It's not so much a custom ini as the one you should use with UTXp3 since it specifies OpenGL for graphics and OpenAL for audio on Mac OS X as opposed to QuickDraw3D and Galaxy, respectively, on Mac OS 9. To get Infiltration to work on Mac OS X, I merged this ini file with the ini file that the INF team provided for 2.9 and tweaked it based on a 2.86 ini for Mac that I had.

The ini (actually there are two) should have been distributed with UTXp3; you can grab it (UTXp3 with the inis) from macgamefiles.com Don't forget to read the Read Me.

[LD]CrAcWhOrE said:
So as far as "tweaking" UTX; I just dumped my PC install on my mac and ran Preview3. Impressive that it launched and worked. I had to do this because the copy of UT that I purchased (foolishly expecting it to run natively in OSX...such a fool I was..) won't properly install and work with mods without giving me that "UT is not an application" BS. I had help from various other people, and the best solution after 2.5 years of fighting that problem came to "copy your PC installation". I was entirely Windows-free for a year, then I gave in and got a PC again just for INF (thanks guy who made the terrible 2.86 launcher/installer for OS9).

Yes, it is a miracle that it launched and worked at all if that's how you installed it. While I can't explain why you didn't get decent performance, I can imagine there's a lot of junk in the PC ini file.

As far as the "UT is not an application error" -- I'll risk sounding like a broken record by saying that that error means that Mac OS 9 tried to launch Unreal Tournament X Preview 3.

[I had nothing to do with the 2.86 installer and launcher BTW]

[LD]CrAcWhOrE said:
The only problem is that UT runs like butt, let alone INF. I was guessing at those FPS I listed before. I promptly uninstalled UTX after I found out INF wouldn't be playable on my macs. It was extremely laggy and poor with the original UTXP3 file. I don't consider 45FPS to be playable in a FPS.

45fps? I thought your complaint was that you were getting 5-15 fps. Somehow 24 fps is good enough for movie theaters... 30 is good enough for broadcast television... I can see how anything less than 30 would make playing a game annoying, but really.

[LD]CrAcWhOrE said:
Haven't tried running UTXP3 on a G5 yet. I don't really see the reason for it. I'm more interested in having portable INF since my PC handles it just fine. I'd love it on my powerbook though.

Well, the reason Ryan is running into problems with UT is because he's trying to fix up the sloppy code that Epic left behind. There are various bugs and exploits which is he fixing for the Unreal Tournament Preservation Group. Obviously, he's working on the linux stuff now, which he can then port to OSX. And yes, I'm sure he likes doing the stuff he gets paid for more than UTX. ;)

It doesn't bother me as much, since I use my macs for video/music editing and my PC for gaming only. It is annoying that 90% of the people I know only have macs and can't enjoy INF in OSX, or at decent FPS. Oh well. Let me know if you find a way to make it magically perform at 70FPS.

Seeya :)

Like I said in my previous post, UTXp3 with the stock ini files was giving me around 100fps, so I'm not as willing as you are to write off the "unofficial" port. Give it a shot -- download the "real" distribution of the "unofficial" port and see what it does with the stock ini files on your machine(s). I'm still tweaking the ini files on my machine but I have so far doubled the performance that I was seeing before. And yes, that puts it around 70fps (with UTXp3 on Mac OS X).

Lexthilian

Jun 15, 2004
Well, I haven't posted for a while because I was updateing the index of my hard drive( although I have been paying attention to you peoples' posts). Here is what I found. After indexing my hard drive I searched for any remnants of an OS X preview3 using Sherlock 2 in OS 9 and the finder in OS X and found nothing. I tried once again to run Infiltration and still got the same message. However, I was curious of something. When I opened the Infiltration icon with the script editor I saw two lines that said:
set whichlauncher to "INF_Laucher_OSX" else set whichlauncher to "INF_Laucher_OS9"

Now, I am not a programer so forgive me for sounding stupid, but could these lines be changed so that it will not use an OSX launcher even if I had one later? Allowing it only to run in 9. That was the only question I had.

By the way, the specs for my machine are : 17 inch Imac 800mhz 512 of memory and yes I also have one of those Nvidia Gforce 4s that seem to have a lot of problems with certain games.

bigglesworth

Jun 24, 2004
Lexthilian said:
Well, I haven't posted for a while because I was updateing the index of my hard drive( although I have been paying attention to you peoples' posts). Here is what I found. After indexing my hard drive I searched for any remnants of an OS X preview3 using Sherlock 2 in OS 9 and the finder in OS X and found nothing. I tried once again to run Infiltration and still got the same message. However, I was curious of something. When I opened the Infiltration icon with the script editor I saw two lines that said:
set whichlauncher to "INF_Laucher_OSX" else set whichlauncher to "INF_Laucher_OS9"

OK, now you've really piqued my interest. I really want to help you get this fixed. If you don't mind me asking, what did you search for? Items named "Unreal Tournament" or items named "Unreal Tournament OS X"?

If you don't mind, try this: find your copy of Unreal Tournament and Get Info on it. Tell me what it says under "Version:". Better yet, put a screenshot up somewhere where I can view it. You can hide everything else on your screen or crop the image; I'm only interested in the information in the Finder's Get Info window.

As far as your question is concerned, let me try to explain the first couple of lines of the launcher script (just for the heck of it):

Code:
tell application "Finder" to set theVersion to version as text
if second character of theVersion is equal to "." then set theVersion to "0" & theVersion

The first line asks the Finder for it's version number. There are other methods to get the system version, but this one is almost guaranteed to work on Mac OS 9 as well as Mac OS X. The second line works around a funky bug in an older version of Mac OS X (I forget whether it was Mac OS 10.1 or 10.2) where the Finder would return something funny...

Code:
if theVersion is not less than "10" then
	set whichLauncher to "INF_Launcher_OSX"
else
	set whichLauncher to "INF_Launcher_OS9"
end if

The lines above basically evaluate the version number that the Finder gave us: if it's 10 or greater, then we launch "INF_Launcher_OSX", otherwise (i.e. if the version the Finder gave us is lower than 10), we launch "INF_Launcher_OS9".

I apologize for not commenting the code better...

Lexthilian said:
Now, I am not a programer so forgive me for sounding stupid, but could these lines be changed so that it will not use an OSX launcher even if I had one later? Allowing it only to run in 9. That was the only question I had.

You don't even need to change the lines... Rather than editing the "Infiltration 2.9" script, just double click on the "INF_Launcher_OS9" script instead. If you want, you can go so far as to delete both the "INF_Launcher_OSX" and "Infiltration 2.9" scripts.

For what it's worth, the "INF_Launcher_OS9" script is the one that tells Unreal Tournament to launch using the Infiltration settings files. "INF_Launcher_OSX" does the same thing but talks to Unreal Tournament OS X instead.

Lexthilian said:
By the way, the specs for my machine are : 17 inch Imac 800mhz 512 of memory and yes I also have one of those Nvidia Gforce 4s that seem to have a lot of problems with certain games.

Well, tomorrow I'll be near an Apple Store so perhaps I can persuade them to let me hook up my PowerBook in FireWire disk mode and try launching Infiltration to see if it'll run on an iMac with an NVIDIA graphics processor.

With any luck we can get to the bottom of this and at least get it to run on your machine.

bigglesworth

Jun 24, 2004
bigglesworth said:
Well, tomorrow I'll be near an Apple Store so perhaps I can persuade them to let me hook up my PowerBook in FireWire disk mode and try launching Infiltration to see if it'll run on an iMac with an NVIDIA graphics processor.

With any luck we can get to the bottom of this and at least get it to run on your machine.

So I'm posting this from the Apple Store in Fashion Island, California where I've just fired up Infiltration 2.9 on a 1GHz 17" iMac in Mac OS X. It performed just as well as it did on my 15" Aluminum PowerBook.

I know that's only marginally reassuring, but they don't have any machines here that will boot into Mac OS 9 (go figure).

I'm still interested in why it's not working on your machine.

Lexthilian

Jun 15, 2004
When I did a search in both 9 and 10 I searched for anything that had the words: Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament OS X Preview, Unreal Tournament OS X Preview 3, OS X, OS X Preview 3, OS X Preview, basically any combination of those words and even just plain Unreal. I am not sure how to post a picture on these forums, but the version of UT that I have is 436. I bought the game of the year edition.
Infiltration does run in 10 but I have to scale the graphics way down to where it is really chunky and when other bots show up then it slows down considerably. Several months ago I downloaded the OS X unofficial "patch" from Inside Mac Games and tried running UT in 10 but it also was very slow. I basically tossed that patch and kept running it in 9. Classic is also too slow. I did delete the OS X launcher and the Inf. 2.9 script and tried launching it from the OS 9 launcher but after it asks me if I want to run it, I get the same message.
I don't know, I am kind of stumped myself, because I have played unreal Badlands and Marathon Resurrection and those work just fine. I archived both of those when I deleted UT and installed a fresh version.