Quake3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
D

Das Fragmeister

OK...to all of you "we've had this thread before's..."
1) Not everyone is an old-timer to this discussion group. I'm brand new and I appreciate reading this stuff without having to search an archive. If you don't want to, just don't participate in this topic...and just don't trash the newbies for talking about what they haven't yet discussed.
2) It's good for mod designers and developers, if they browse this, to see what people like and hate about these two games.

Let's face it...there's good and bad in both games, and if designers took the best of both, we'd have (almost) everything we could want in a FPS:
1) Q3A...smooth, colorful graphics. Not as nice as UT, more cartoonish..but brighter and less drab. No one's going to argue with Facing Worlds, etc..., but I like it brighter and more colorful sometimes. UT can be very dark...like film noir or a dark sci fi movie. UT's graphics, overall, obviously have much more depth and kick *** , however. But in praise, there are a good deal more character models in Q3A than there are in UT.
2) Gameplay, modes, mods, and weapon types are all UT.
3) Size of levels are all UT. Q3A has no strategy. Many maps are 16 people in 3 rooms and body parts flying everywhere. Very little room for strategy. UT has wonderful room for strategy. Take snipers for example: important, stealthy, thinkers, but more often than not they're found and fragged almost immediately. You have to think to be a sniper. There's the potential for cunning. Often in Q3A, people are just running around blowing up everything in their path and getting fragged in the process. That's fun for 10 minutes...especially if your ping sucks. A camper/railgun fanatic in Q3A is nothing like a sniper in UT. Weapons like the Razorjack (what's it called now?) also allow for a thinking-man's game. Most importantly in UT is that you can be any type of player: passive, aggressive, a frag-maniac, the flag-capturer, a sniper, you can hide, you can hunt...q3a maps don't really allow for as much thoughfulness or as much of a range.
4) I have to say I like the "Talk" feature in Q3A more...when messages pop up, you can actually seen them. And they last long enough to read. And I think talking trash is a really fun part of the game. UT would be better if this area were improved. I'm never able to pay the least attention to anything but messages as sounds.
5) I've always had a problem with Q3A and logging on to 15-minute servers. I log on in the last 2 minutes and get bumped the minute I get there. In UT, the servers you have found stay on the search screen. In Q3A, after you get bumped, you start from scratch. Particularly frustrating when people have "change maps" selected, and you're on a server because you really like the one map. UT servers often stick with one map...and take less time to load. I love that.
6) UT bots rule over q3A bots.
7) I do like the q3a bounce pads.

Well, I could go on forever...IMHO, this should be an ongoing, constant discussion thread that mod-makers and developers could monitor to get the most from both games.

bullet2.gif

-- Das Fragmeister
Yah, I am zo kick-*** , I make ze uzzer snipers look az zough zey were spitting q-tips through a wet straw. Touch my monkey!

BaronSamedi

RA Konig
Mar 13, 2000
Sheffield, UK
Visit site
I was playing Quake 3 last week for the first time, expecting the game to be flawless. Started up.....as soon as the options screen came on i began to criticise it and try to compare it to UT. Its incomparible!!! I also don't like the himour involved with the bots and also.......who programmed the AI on these thing. They don't even stop to fight you.. they all just go to one area and shoot the living daylights out of each other!!....constantly. First difficulty level is too easy and the second is a big jump up. I find the aiming very tedious due to the fact how the bots behave. BFG!!!!...Whats happened...i though i must have picked up a duff one...wheres the huge explosion? Final criticism: My mission to find a large and differing level was unsuccessful. Does anyone agree with what ive just said or am i going to be cast into the pits of hell?

I can't get over the crappy AI, i think they rushed it out to compete with unreal in the FPS market.

------------------
"Tiz i Saron Baramedi!!"

Seven is the answer and the answer is seven!!...........................................Im not mad..im just a bit strange?!

The Rat

Feb 10, 2000
www.games.calweb.com
I completly agree!!!

A friend brought his Q3A over and I loaded it up on to my computer, and we played with it for about 5 minutes.
My 1st impression is that "IT SUX!!!"

Unreal Tournament is, BY FAR, much better!!!

bullet2.gif

The Rat's Nest
UT BONUS PACK IS THERE
GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
63.195.145.43:7777

DJ

I agree that UT is much better than Q3 but Q3 is still very fun to play.
We have had this thread a thousand times and it is starting to get annoying with all these "Q3 sucks, UT rules!" posts.

I enjoy both games.

BaronSamedi

RA Konig
Mar 13, 2000
Sheffield, UK
Visit site
I'm sorry but i can't get my self to enjoy it.....i tried leaving it at my friends but he saw it and forced me to take it out of his house....We argued for about half an hour about who was goin to cop for it!

Its the AI and the aiming.....if they'd have spent a little more time on it then the game would be good. I like the engine though....thats one thing i do like about the game...its solid!

bullet2.gif

"Tiz i Saron Baramedi!!"

Seven is the answer and the answer is seven!!...........................................Im not mad..im just a bit strange?!

Cebu

Nov 29, 1999
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
When all of you grow up and get some hair on your balls come visit me in Q3A so I can kick your asses like a red-headed stepchild....lamers.

bullet2.gif

Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?-Galatians 4:16

Thar T'Pak [=AA=]

Mar 2, 2000
Urbandale, IA USA
I bought Q3A last night to see if my clan should add it to it's list of games. Yeah it's not UT but it is a decent play. Online was fun, but I found myself going back to UT.

I'll play both, but I am still mainly a UT fanatic.

bullet2.gif

Games....Must....have.....more.....games.....

=AA='s Offensive co-captain, heavy duty flag capper and part time male stripper

The HIVE - the ONLY Place to go for Gaming schtuff -http://www.hivenetwork.com
The Blast Pit - Birthplace of the Alien Armada =AA=

Vortex

My last status sucked
Jan 19, 2000
Planet Express
Visit site
I do agree! There are some good levels in Q3 but most are average> the last 5 for example. They look as if they were made by someone who couldn't even be bothered to put a background in! And why couldn't they supply us with a secondary fire? All we have is this stupid zoom function that will get you killed as some other bot races up behind u and kills u with that machine gun. If they had put in a secondary fire the rocket and grenade launcher could have been fitted into one weapon like UT's rocket launcher. The weapons just don't feel.. effective enough. The plasma gun makes me feel like I'm shooting blobs of water at my opponents or something like that. I read in PC Gamer that Q3 was the best game for mods! Right! How many mods are out for Q3 right now? Yep, and for UT? A lot, exactly! Ok, so they're mutators but u get the idea don't you? When I played against the UT bots for the first time it really did feel like I was battling against some real people due to the tuants that you could actually hear. When I played Q3 though it was like a step back in time with little written message that popped up on screen occasionaly. Since there was only a little 'ping' to accompany their appearence I would often miss them. Anyhow, Q3 sucks. I do like the intro sequence though /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif.

Slice

Nov 27, 1999
Tallahassee,Fl.
Visit site
No question......UT rulez bigtime. AI is superior and graphics dominate. End of story!

bullet2.gif

Slice
---------------
"I skate to where the puck is going to be,
not to where it has been."

- Wayne Gretzky

BaronSamedi

RA Konig
Mar 13, 2000
Sheffield, UK
Visit site
Yeah wheres the back ground on the space levels. Wheres the meteors....wheres the huge planets, spaceships.....it all adds up.

bullet2.gif

"Tiz i Saron Baramedi!!"

Quitch

I like them both myself, and personally prefer the way Q3 handles the tournament system, thought not the fact it is DM only.

For some quick action Q3 is good fun, thought I prefer UT.

The only thing Q3 and UT players agree on is that UT bots are smarter /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif.

bullet2.gif

Quitch
"Howdy doodie little kitty, the baaaad man is here"

D

Das Fragmeister

Hey...all you yawners...c'mon and cut us some slack...I'm a newbie to this board and I appreciate talking about this stuff because I haven't been party to what's been said before. Also, as I mentioned a little earlier...this should be an ongoing post...let's give the mod-makers and developers an earful (eyeful) of what we love and hate about these games. A thread beats individual e-mails to them and if it's constructive, it's great feedback.

BaronSamedi

RA Konig
Mar 13, 2000
Sheffield, UK
Visit site
Yeah, im a newbie? (whats that mean?) too and i like to hear what other people think about quake3.

The Baron

Coaster....thats funny. I once used mine as a frisbee.

bullet2.gif

"Tiz i Saron Baramedi!!"