Forming A Clan- NEED ADVICE

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I

ImagoX

Hello all, I need some advice...

I'm trying to get a group of players together, preferably for CTF/DOM games, but I'm all for the occassional Team DM or Assault. My problem is that I actually have to work for a living (as do most of us), and have a home life. Back when I did NOT it was fine to play Rocket Arena all night, but now that I'm a tad older and more seasoned, I'm more looking for a group that can get together a couple of times a week, usually later in the evening (like after 11:00 EST), that is interested in actually playing as a TEAM rather than as a mob, you know?

Can anyone suggest a good place to put ads or look for potential members? Is anyone on the boards looking for the same sort of things in a group? Either way, any input would be appreciated...

A quick bio- I have playes FPS games since Doom, and have played multi with QuakeII, (Rocket Arena, Loki's Minion's CTF), Half-Life, etc.

Thanks in advance!

-ImagoX

------------------
"If you ever drop your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go because, man, they're gone."
-Jack Handey

The_Ruiner

Masterful
Greetings. I too am a FPS veteran: all the doom series, Unreal, UT, System Shock. I also desire to play with people that know how to function as a TEAM. Hell, an efficient 2 man team can do some serious damage. I've witnessed it. Work sucks, but does pay the bills. Let's get in touch..

bullet2.gif

This is the strangest life, I've ever known

I

ImagoX

Ruiner...

Sounds like a good start. Email me at bombshelter@hotmail.com, and we'll talk. Also, do you have ICQ? I do, but don't know the number off the top of my head. I'll send it to you later today, once I get home, K?

BTW- couldn't agree with you more about the team factor. I helped open the first Battletech center in Chicago, (back when it was really something unique), and I saw over and over how teams totally ripped to shreads griops lacking teamwork...

-ImagoX

TheReaper[NWA]

Dec 6, 1999
Corvallis, OR
Visit site
I try people out for NWA, and most of the time I end up cruising around servers finding people that are smoking the competition, then I play them to see their stuff... most of the time its some avg. dude that ganks a ton of newB'z which anyone decent can do. But sometimes you'll find that one guy that can just rip sh!t up. Kinda fun scouting peeps /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Reaper

Voyd-

Nov 24, 1999
Visit site
my advice to you, if you want a clan that will last and grow together is to first of all, play with, and get to know the people you intend to ask to join. by this i mean many nights of playing together and talking on irc/icq about anything. this way you find out if you like the company of the person. sure, skillz are important but i rather not have an ******* in my clan. openely recruiting someone without having ever played them or talked with them for awhile is recipe for disaster.

bullet2.gif

$GB$Voyd

[This message has been edited by Voyd (edited 03-13-2000).]

Palomides

Jan 17, 2000
members.home.com
Also, my experience has shown that the best teammates are generally over 23 or so years old... I am not meaning to offend anyone with that statement, but it is true... I used to run a Q2WF clan, and we'd get all sorts of youngunz with 'skillz' that would apply, but they would eventually weed themselves out with their incessant whining, complaining about not being on offense, etc... there is alot to be said for maturity in a team-first atmosphere...

bullet2.gif

"I bet when the neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would always end up saying, "Don't forget the thick, heavy brows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky brows too, and they'd get mad and eat the snowman."

Palomides|PuF
http://web2.airmail.net/codyk/

I have to disagree with you Palomides. While younger players CAN be whiners, there are a lot of youngins who deserve respect. There are many young and skilled players. I'm 18 and i've been beat by 12 years olds... i've also beaten 26 year olds... :p point is, a 12 year old can put up just as much of a fight, and can do it maturely.

bullet2.gif

Websters Dictionary defines vampire as:
blood-sucking animal, person, ghost, etc.; person who preys on others.

Yep, that's me... :)

email: fatalabyss@hotmail.com
http://vamps.cjb.net

BaronSamedi

RA Konig
Mar 13, 2000
Sheffield, UK
Visit site
Yeah.....me for example. Ive been playin fps's since the days of Wolfenstien and i know the tricks of the trade. I'm still new to unreal but i'm picking it up very nicely. To be honest, i prefer to defind on the snipe post or just defend the base from the outside and stick a ripper up their nose.

bullet2.gif

"Tiz i Saron Baramedi!!"

Seven is the answer and the answer is seven!!...........................................Im not mad..im just a bit strange?!

I

ImagoX

Thanks Ruiner... I'll look for your mail. As for the issue of maturity, I could not agree more. Back in my Rocket Arena days, I tried several times to get a group together to play AS A TEAM, and found in general that the older players, while perhaps a tad behind the young 'uns in reflexes, made of for this in discipline.

As for offence vs. defense... Well, there really is NO feeling quite like running like hell with the flag, shots whining past your head, etc. But I truely love playing Defense myself. I totallty agree with the Ripper comment- it's rapidly becoming my fave weapon in fact... hehehe... =)

-ImagoX

Kraghlx

Mar 15, 2000
Visit site
Well, I'm not the deadliest of players...but team play is where it's at. You can always blow 'em away in single player/practice games if thats what you want. (Unless you get off on showing off.)

I would be interested in a nice support position not too much shrapnel, not too far from the base, maybe a nice time out for tea (haha)

BTW...I'm 43..yikes!!! BOF (beware: old fart)

D

Das Fragmeister

Hey ImagoX,

I just noticed this thread after posting my own request looking for middle-experienced and novice players interested in starting a CTF team or clan. I, too, am looking for team players. And I'm in my late 20s (just in case I get ID'd, heh heh). And I talk plenty o' trash for fun, but I'm not obnoxious about it. I tend to be an pretty good sniper (oh, I hear those sweet words: head shot, head shot, head shot, multikill), moderate flag-grabber, and I get killed pretty quick in a room full of hardcore fraggers. My stats probably aren't that high...but I'm in it for the fun. I used to play Unreal/Duke Nukem/Quake II/Descent, but I was never hardcore. I like the Facing Worlds and Lava Giants maps, as well as others. I actually started playing what was probably the first FPS (and which I've never heard of since) called Muon...an arcade beta tested by a friend of mine on LI in 1987. Anyone heard of it? What are your thoughts on a team, ImagoX?

bullet2.gif

-- Das Fragmeister
Yah, I am zo kick-*** , I make ze uzzer snipers look az zough zey were spitting q-tips through a wet straw. Touch my monkey!

G

GunnerX

I'm new to Unreal. The last FPS game I played was Duke Nukem (occassionally). However, I really got into UT and have been playing for 3 weeks now. I'm not too bad. I guess. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif I usually play at night after 11 pm and cannot play that late because of work. Just like you guys. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif I'll be 25 next month.

I really prefer CTF and teamwork. Anyway to get together and have some frag fest? I usually play servers with more than 16 peeps. I've got an Ath 600/GeFork256DDR (CLAP) and a DSL connection. Usually get ping rates below 200. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

My ICQ # is 11131243.

Later,

GunnerX_2000

D

Das Fragmeister

Actually, to qualify, if you get a dozen offers of snipers...I consider (myself) humbly to be a great sniper. But...with the right team support...I can run like hell with a flag and make it back on an open map with some skilled snipers picking off the dogs at my heels. My biggest challenge (and weakness) seems to be aiming at moving targets while running like hell in the other direction..which I'm sure is hard for everyone. So I often fail in room situations in which I have to charge around defensively while trying shoot opponents offensively at the same time. I take heavy losses on that. It might also be a ping-thing. Ahh, but the sound of head shot, head shot, head shot...the poor opponents. It is hard to feel so bad for them as they run this way, run that way, trying to escape my sniper rifle...@;^D My other favorite trick of late is to take the Redeemer into a hiding place and fire it, then spend a few minutes buzzing everyone's head that's in the open until a good target advertises itself. Not always productive stats-wise, BUT THATS TOO MUCH DAMN FUN. It'll fly around for quite awhile.

bullet2.gif

-- Das Fragmeister
Yah, I am zo kick-*** , I make ze uzzer snipers look az zough zey were spitting q-tips through a wet straw. Touch my monkey!

I

ImagoX

Just wanted to let everyone know- I've sent email to the following folks with a Clan Formation Update:

GunnerX, Das Fragmaster, Ruiner, Kraghkx and Tanis.

It's looking like we may be able to have a get-to-know-you type meeting early next week, so if you think you may be interested let me know via email, and I'll add you to the mail list. We will, of course, need a name as well, so be thinking along those lines for the meeting. I'll be handling all future correspondence through email, to keep the boards as clear as possible.

Thanks for the interest all! I hope to be fragging with you all soon!

-ImagoX

bullet2.gif

"If you ever drop your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go because, man, they're gone."
-Jack Handey

I

ImagoX

Email me at:

bombshelter@hotmail.com

I am in the process of getting everyone's address in a file, and will be emailing everyone that's been asking me about this in a day or so. If you have ICQ, let me know your number as well in the email. Yeah, I know it's here on the board if you entered it, but I'm trying to get it all in one place.

As far as team ideas go, I really have none other than to assemble a group of players that enjoy taking an evening a week or so to get together, practice team moves, and then find a server (or set one up) to storm for the Glory of the Team!

Look for my reply soon.

-ImagoX

GunnerX

2345 Posts
Mar 14, 2000
Canadia
www.gunnerx.com
And then the muTTs were born!!! :D:D

Damn, I didn't know that Ruiner wanted to join up with muTTs a while back!!! Now I remember!! :D Geez, March 16, I never realized it was that far back!!

BTW, muTTs are now over the limit, hope the other dogs don't kill me. :D

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
Ultron's Tips for Forming a Clan that will LAST:

1) Recruit mature players. Not the ones that talk trash when they play, or show little respect for others. Friendly spam from time to time is nice, but nobody likes playing on servers with badmouths. Note, I don't mean "old" players, just players with social graces. I know some players in their early teens (who consequently are better players than me) who you'd never realize they are kids.

2) Don't scout for talent on CTF-Face. So many people I know are Face-only players, or they play so much of it they don't know they're way around other maps. They may clean up on Face but they suffer on other maps.

3) State the rules in advance, and hold the new recruits to it. Don't back down. They knew the rules coming in, they should obey them.

4) Hold private votes, if you hold any. Too often clans go through turmoil because they can see who's voting for who, and rifts get formed. That's why it's best to have a higher counsel formed to make major decision, to avoid distributing blame across teammates.

5) Have the select few with powers make the decisions. See Rule 4.

6) Have one boss. One person who makes the final decision. He can either be a senior partner with the final vote in a tie or just have total control on major things. Whatever. You want one chief and the rest indians.

7) Have a good method of communicating. ICQ is by far the most prolific form of communications between members. Have all members forced to use that comm method, period, so you can get in touch with them in a more timely manner.

8) Recruit friends, or friendly players. People you can enjoy being with. Don't get involved with a clan of people who don't really like or care about each other.

I have more tips, but not enough time. That should help.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
After many countess hours of making a battle.net clan I have found these things usefull.
1. A clan is built of good members and leaders. Don't just recruit anyone. Look for someone that wants to join a clan talk to them for a week if you find you like them recruit. You the clan leader should do all the picking of clan members
2. If your gonna be the leader of a clan you gotta be serious. If you can't devote all ur time you need helpers.
3. Make rules. I'm talkn more than no taunting. Things like be to all clan meetings if you miss 4 in a row ur out. Things like that might be mean but it makes it so ur shure you'll have active members.
4. communication there's only one thing I hate more than saying I'm in a clan and then never hearing from them again a good clan commuicates every week.
5. Give everyone a part. Some job like helping the page or whatever. Make shure everyone is doing something. This also goes along with number of members. Most say that 8 is enough but you could go to 64 as long and you were able to stay with everything and everyone still got to play. That rarely works out good with FPS clans though
It took a while to figure this all out 3 years actually. By the time I actually had a decent clan though noobody cared anymore so be shure you get it right the first time. I'd be happy to help you. Just as a member I wanta be in a clan and am a little sick of being leader. Maybe after being in a good clan for a while maybe I'll try making my own again. So if you want me in ur clan (or anyone) pease say so here or e-mail sixovous@excite.com