My new piece of equipment (nudge nudge:))

• Thread starter Psychomoggiebagpuss
  • Start date
  • Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
P

Psychomoggiebagpuss

It finally arrived. Monday morning the Creative labs Annihilator Pro (henceforth known as the CLAP /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif) turned up on my doorstep. Briefly I considered pulling a sickie, but my conscience won and I drove (reluctantly) to work.
Got home. Pulled out my venerable voodoo 2 and Intel I740 card. Took the CLAP out of the box. Dropped CLAP. Swore. Put the CLAP into the AGP slot. Dropped screw in case. Swore. Shook case. Heard rattle. Swore again. Turned PC upside down. No screw. Eventually found it stuck to the small internal MAGNETIC speaker.
Bugger.
Anyway started up the PC and installed the drivers (NVIDIA refernce drivers v3.77), AGP wizard (to turn on AGP sidebanding) and the registry hack (so I could overclock it). It's now running at 135/333 rather than 120/300.
Now my main grumble. After reading all the various posts on how to setup UT for the best performance/quality and doing all the various tweak I had UT running in 800x600 with volumetric lighting on, all high detail textures/models etc in D3D at 16 bit.
16 bit?!?!?
Whenever I tried to set it to 32bit it changed into window mode, when I tried to switch it back to full screen mode it bombed out on me. WTF?!?!? It's running a hell of a lot faster than my single voodoo 2, but it doesn't look as....I don't know how to describe it....atmospheric? Basically, it doesn't look as nice as when it was running through glide. (though it does load quicker since I've turned pre caching off).
Has anyone else had any problems trying to get it running in 32bit colour? Does anyone know if epic are going to do a new patch to sort out their OpenGl and D3D drivers (which - we must be fair people - compared to their glide engine, suck like those girls in Beijing), or introduce S3TC to OpenGl or D3D rather than leaving it in the exclusive provence of the MeTal engine?
Or even better....all of the above + T&L support?

System specs are:
Win 98SE (and I actually have an official version...not a copy....
[screams and sounds of people fainting in the distance]) /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
quarter gig of ram /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
SBLive (with Liveware 3.0)
CLAP using v3.77 reference drivers.
Celeron 300A running at 374mhz (nice 83mhz AGP bus speed /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif)
20gig Maxtor UDMA66 hard drive.

The really gutting thing was that Q3 looks OMG so much better now. 1024x768 @32bit with everything maxed out and getting 49 fps on timedemoing demo001. Was also getting that at 640x480 and 800x600 (on the "fastest" quality setting) though so I think I need a new processor to take advantage of all this extra horse power /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif)

BTW, work's sending me to Gloucester tonight for a site visit tomorrow, so I won't be at home on the new machine fragging (or attempting to frag), the rest of the PuF'rs on euro night. Have a good one and I'll see you guys Thursday.

Be Cool
Think Smart
Stay Funky

------------------
psychomoggiebagpuss
AKA P.M.Bagpuss[PuF]
AKA Armadillo Dragon of the -=UDIC=-
Wielder of the Sacred Blackrock Baguette
"If there is anything bigger than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now"

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
You know it might help if you start up UT in safe mode and choose the 3D setting then start the game up!

bullet2.gif

Super(ST)Trooper is fragging like no other!!

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Ok, we'll do this again.

UT is made from the Unreal engine. It has had modifications, mainly to the editor and Unrealscript code, but they are essentially the same.
Unreal was coded ground up to run on Glide. It will always and forever run faster in Glide, until a new engine is released.
Your GeForce will not run it as fast as even a voodoo3, but that ONLY applies to Unreal, UT, Nerfblaster, and other variants.
Every other game will scream on your Geforce. From Quake3 to homeworld, everything will love that chip. UT is the only exception, and I hardly even notice the difference.
I personally think it looks a wee bit better in 32 bit, so I take the performance hit for it.

bullet2.gif

"Where's the BACTINE?! Some of this blood is MINE!!" -- JTHM

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Well, UT is notorious for not liking standard bus speeds.. try dropping your 300a back down to 300Mhz (66mhz bus).

That'd be my best guess for ya.

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 03-14-2000).]

BaronSamedi

RA Konig
Mar 13, 2000
Sheffield, UK
Visit site
I have the same graphics card........sent it back to creative today for a replacement. It seems a bit cocked. It was workin brill at first and then it locked up when i applied hardware acc in windows.

bullet2.gif

"Tiz i Saron Baramedi!!"

Seven is the answer and the answer is seven!!...........................................Im not mad..im just a bit strange?!

BaronSamedi

RA Konig
Mar 13, 2000
Sheffield, UK
Visit site
I have the same graphics card........sent it back to creative today for a replacement. It seems a bit cocked. It was workin brill at first and then it locked up when i applied hardware acc in windows.

bullet2.gif

"Tiz i Saron Baramedi!!"

Seven is the answer and the answer is seven!!...........................................Im not mad..im just a bit strange?!

P

Psychomoggiebagpuss

He's trying to get his scores up /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif