Is it just me...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Nope, the game runs just fine for me too. I don't understand why so many people have said the latest patch causes ut2k4 to crash. I don't get any of that.

Chaser

Boi BOI!!!!
Mar 16, 2004
My game runs stable as well... BUT the load times are unbareable. I dont even play ONS or Assault anymore because it takes 2 1/2 mins to load a map. So not cool. :(

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
You have pre-load skins or whatever it is called enabled, goto options menu and de-select that and you should see the load times improve greatly. :cool:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Only crashing I had was the Editor and I fixed that. No other problems whatsoever. Even good loading times. But of course, that's computer specific. ;)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
My friend got the 9600XT. He likes it okay, but he's already looking to upgrade... Then again, that might just be because of Far Cry... ;)

Stigmata

Codepunk
Jan 31, 2004
The Sprawl
Chaser said:
My game runs stable as well... BUT the load times are unbareable. I dont even play ONS or Assault anymore because it takes 2 1/2 mins to load a map. So not cool. :(
that could be the result of a few things Chaser; memory being the key issue (aside from preloading player skins). It helps if you shutdown any non-essential system services (right click my computer->manage->services and applications->services). I wrote a batch file to shut all services down quickly. I freed up 150+ Mb of memory (I've got 512 installed) and there is a huge difference in my load times now!

I played Huggybear this morning and he was testing it (it didn't even occur to me to think that it was publicly released...), how did it work for you, Huggy?

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Haven't had any problems either.
/me *knocks on wood*
I never use 'beta'-quality patches for UT2kx or drivers that aren't 'official'.
Maybe that 'helps' to keep it stable as well ?

mrpirate

WTFLOL
Jan 21, 2004
Ontario, Canada
There are a lot of people who play Unreal Tournament 2004. Obviously, for a certain percentage of them, some things are going to go wrong, be it through hardware configuration, or conflicting software, etc.

It's these people that make posts about it. No one in their right mind would make a post saying, "Hey everyone, I just installed the patch and everything runs great. No problems, everything's cool. Everything works now like it did before."

Ultimately, if everything's working, you don't care about whether it works or not--you're too busy playing the game.

Cantina_Fly

This space intentionally left blank...
May 12, 2004
Detroit, MI
Hmm, odd. Since the patch it's been a steady stream of "ARRGH PATCH MAKE CRASHING! IT BURNS, IT BURNS!" around.

I think that's just the nature of internet forums really. No one posts to say "Hey, everything's running normally." It's implied. The people with problems on the other hand come here looking for help. It's proliferated by the fact that most of them don't know how to use the search button, or they just think their case is special and deserves it's own thread, when they'd be better adding to an existing thread and help keep the info in one place.

Look at the number of people who read the BuF forums on a given day, subtract the number of people who post with problems, the remainder is everyone running error free. :D