PDA

View Full Version : First car model

stevenhorton
13th Jun 2004, 12:02 AM
Here is what I think the 2005 retro Mustang should have looked like. The texture is only a temporary, and the tires are from the Viper. It has 2100 polys with the interior 75% finished.

ProjectX
13th Jun 2004, 02:47 AM
Here is what I think the 2005 retro Mustang should have looked like. The texture is only a temporary, and the tires are from the Viper. It has 2100 polys with the interior 75% finished.

woah, that's good.

jerdaygo
13th Jun 2004, 09:43 PM
Nice looking model Steve :clap: I would like to see some older cars too like a 1967 Camero, old classic musle cars would be cool, thats one type of car UnWheel needs, me thinks. ???Maybe a retro race gametype??? or just a musle car drag, well now Im just talking out of my butt, Again Nice Model :D

model_citizen
13th Jun 2004, 10:02 PM
Hows a '70 cuda sound? Working as an SVehicle at the moment. Unwrapped though texture not started yet.

stevenhorton
13th Jun 2004, 10:38 PM
model_citizen, I owned and raced a 1970 AAR Cuda in the seventys, it's a car I know well:) The proportions of the front look ok, but the rear looks off, the valance above the bumper looks too tall, and the slope of the bottom panel looks too steep. ( I make one car, and now I'm a critique:D) Looks good. Do you model in Max or Maya? Jerdaygo, I have been thinking of what cars people like, and there are two. For people like me, 49 years old, it's the cars we had as young adults; for young adults it's cars they have or dream of having now. This is of course a generalisation, but I think it's accurate. I thought of making an accurate 66 Mustang, but I just had to be original:P

Shrimp
14th Jun 2004, 03:39 AM
And as one of those young adults, I dream of owning and driving a Monster Truck :D

I'm starting to wonder if there is ANYTHING Steve cannot do? The model + skin is bloody excellent! Is it for SVehicle or KVehicle usage? As I said somewhere before, we can now export our current vehicles to 3DS format (there was another export format, but I can't remember it right now), which we can re-import and make into SVehicles, but I'm told Maya PLE can't import those :(.

Keep it up :D ;)

stevenhorton
14th Jun 2004, 08:11 AM
Yea, after we talked on Messenger about being able to export I realised I had no way to get them back into Unreal as a .psk file, or even getting them into Maya PLE:P; and yes, I am definatly wanting this for sVehicle. That should solve a few problems such as the type of lights used for headlights, having a bot drive, the crazy collision errors and multiplayer. But I am really hoping the sVehicle code is broad enough to allow the the vehicle feel of kVehicle like we have now.

ProjectX
14th Jun 2004, 11:27 AM
Yea, after we talked on Messenger about being able to export I realised I had no way to get them back into Unreal as a .psk file, or even getting them into Maya PLE:P; and yes, I am definatly wanting this for sVehicle. That should solve a few problems such as the type of lights used for headlights, having a bot drive, the crazy collision errors and multiplayer. But I am really hoping the sVehicle code is broad enough to allow the the vehicle feel of kVehicle like we have now.

he bots problem stems from both te pating system we use and from the Vehicle system we use.

It only stems from KVehicle because Kehicle takes up processing power. A switch to SVehicle would boost FpS and leave more time for bots to hink (theyre currently set to something like .1 times the amount of thinking a UT bot does, or something)

Our currentsystem is volumes for A.I. This is completely wrong for te bots because there is a much better A.I. base for pathnodes, including the fact that they can come within a broad radius of the node and then smartly continue to the next one. They will also precalculate paths in the editor (faster A.I. mapping) and they are very versatile.

Shrimp
14th Jun 2004, 02:02 PM
The AI is like it is at the moment because the bots refused to follow a normal UT path.

I tried a lot of things to get the bots to follow normal paths, but they would not co-operate with me at all. Since time was running out, and we needed ANY bot support (which is better than NO bot support), I had to imporvise a bit :D

carmatic
14th Jun 2004, 03:09 PM
i am still thinking... bots that 'imagine' they are somewhere else... but anyway
cool car... so now the move to svehicles is beginning to get obvious

model_citizen
14th Jun 2004, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the guidance Stevenhorton. I have had to model the car from pics off the Net and since I have never seen one in the flesh I am pretty much guessing at the real proportions. It's a maya model.

stevenhorton
14th Jun 2004, 06:33 PM
I had a reason for asking you what program you used, I don't know how to lay out the mesh in the uv editor:P I may need some help;)

stevenhorton
14th Jun 2004, 10:47 PM
Skin is almost finished. Now, who stuck that on my door:D

Smokin
15th Jun 2004, 08:38 PM
What do you think of my First car?
http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/BMW1.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/BMW2.jpg
Its not finished yet i still need to make a base for it and the interior, also it still needs a touchup to fix my poor modeling skills.

stevenhorton
15th Jun 2004, 08:47 PM
I am really relunctant to say much, I am only a beginner myself. I can easily identify the car, but I do think you might not have enough polys on the edges, they are maybe a little too angular. Maybe a good modeler will come along and give us all some pointers:) If I had made your model two weeks ago, before the one I just made, I would have been very pleased with myself:)

Smokin
15th Jun 2004, 10:02 PM
Yeah the front of the car has alot of different smoothing groups in work i'll look into fixing it up abit. I am just glad that it looks like a BMW as its the most high detail thing i have modeled.

model_citizen
16th Jun 2004, 10:09 PM
So mister Horton what is it exactly you are having trouble with in the UV editor? Are you talking Max or Maya. Maya I can help max I have no idea.

stevenhorton
16th Jun 2004, 10:33 PM
I guess I need a good tut on using the uv editor. I know how to do automatic mapping and then go into the UV editor, but from there I am lost :y5:

Diego1203
19th Jun 2004, 10:10 AM
Looks good Steve, this settles it, I HAVE to get the two cars I was working on done for phase four! For some UV mapping help check out the VTM DVD that came with the special edition, in the character development section, videos 2, 3, 4, and 5.

carmatic
19th Jun 2004, 10:24 AM
two cars? you mean for real as in buying them?

Diego1203
19th Jun 2004, 02:09 PM
two cars? you mean for real as in buying them?

No, not real cars, I was talking about the two car models that I started in Maya a long time ago.

ProjectX
19th Jun 2004, 03:02 PM
No, not real cars, I was talking about the two car models that I started in Maya a long time ago.

I once tried learning to model from 3D Buzz but I couldn't get anywhere. Their coding ones gave me a good insight into UnrealScript though.

Steve how many polys is on that car cos if you could do, that er... thingy... top of the back of the car... can't remember what they're called now... needs a few extra polys to give it a better curve and that'll be closest to the camera so it's gonna be noticed more.

model_citizen
20th Jun 2004, 05:51 AM
If you are using Maya 4.5 or earlier you should really get the bonus game plugin set from the alias site, it has some handy tools for the uv editor.
F12 is a handy shortcut for selecting uv's, or you can get to that through right clicking, then you can move them around just like a vert, but only in the texture editor.
Under the Edit Polygons drop down menu there is a convert submenu. That is real handy for converting selected polys/edges/verts to a selection of uv's. With this you can select a whole bunch of polys, convert it to uv's then move that around in the texture editor.

Hope this helps in some way. If you need any help drop me a private message. I sometimes only connect to the net to check email and don't always venture into the dark world of the internet...

stevenhorton
22nd Jun 2004, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the response model_citizen:) I am using Maya PLE 5. I have never actually "skinned" anything by laying out the UV's, I use the planar, cylindrical or spherical texturing tools; so this is very new to me.

ProjectX
22nd Jun 2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the response model_citizen:) I am using Maya PLE 5. I have never actually "skinned" anything by laying out the UV's, I use the planar, cylindrical or spherical texturing tools; so this is very new to me.

that's a very good model. What's the poly count on that beast atm?

stevenhorton
22nd Jun 2004, 03:53 PM
Excluding the wheels it's about 2700. I believe sVehicle will include the wheels on the model they are created with, and they are just under 400 each. I am glad you like it; I have looked at it for so long now all I can see are the flaws:P

ProjectX
22nd Jun 2004, 05:12 PM
Excluding the wheels it's about 2700. I believe sVehicle will include the wheels on the model they are created with, and they are just under 400 each. I am glad you like it; I have looked at it for so long now all I can see are the flaws:P

It's very very nice but maybe using a real indent on the sides instead of using a texture for it? Or would it be too many polys?

stevenhorton
22nd Jun 2004, 05:16 PM
:D I used both. There is an indent.

ProjectX
23rd Jun 2004, 04:20 AM
:D I used both. There is an indent.

Is there? I can only see one angle so I can't really tell...

stevenhorton
26th Jun 2004, 12:17 AM
Here is the Siren in game:) This was more work than a level :hmm: I hope to post it here for testing this weekend.

carmatic
26th Jun 2004, 07:23 AM
i dont see any pic?

Smokin
26th Jun 2004, 10:07 AM
looks good, Only thing I would say to fix up would be the Textureing it seems alittle low rez but good job. I am at the stage where i have to start textureing and I have no idea.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/BMW3.jpg

jerdaygo
26th Jun 2004, 10:45 AM
Here is the Siren in game:) This was more work than a level :hmm: I hope to post it here for testing this weekend.
Nice Work Steve :D , I cant wait to take it for a spin ;)

carmatic
26th Jun 2004, 03:35 PM
hmmm i cant see anything?????

http://www.streamload.com/carmatic/i_cant_see_it.JPG

althought my own hosted image shows up fine...

http://www.streamload.com/carmatic/i_can_see_it.JPG

stevenhorton
26th Jun 2004, 06:58 PM
I will try again, but it's such an effort to post another screenie :lol: It's ready for Shrimps touch:)

carmatic
26th Jun 2004, 09:26 PM
still doesnt work http://www.streamload.com/carmatic/still_doesnt_work.JPG

stevenhorton
26th Jun 2004, 09:50 PM
Sorry carmatic, I don't know what the problem is. Can you see my prior screen shots? I am using Internet Explorer version 6.0.2800.1106.

carmatic
26th Jun 2004, 10:15 PM
which prior screen shots?

the warning-type sign at the bottom left corner of IE says an 'object expected' error of some sort, cant be bothered to type the whole line of stuff down

om hy gosh when i right click on the selected things in IE , theres an option to 'isearch the web'
dang dang dang not this stupid isearch thing again now what nasty thing did i download hmm the last thing i remember downloading was the ut2k4 patch hmmm but i also downloaded 3 internet clocks so it might be one of them either way its really sucking me and im really sleepy im just gonna run ad aware or something and hope for the best

hm ad aware didnt catch anything, and when i click on 'isearch the web' it doesnt do anything, i try to run regclean, it doesnt show anything wrong, im a noob, im helpless, im sleepy...must have been a remnant from when i actually had isearch, and it just means that the time to reformat my computer is getting closer and close (thank goodness ive already moved stuff onto an external hard disk) bah gettin off topic, anyway , it will certainly be a nicer surprise when i actually get to see the car in unwheel

jerdaygo
26th Jun 2004, 11:23 PM
hey carmatic if you have an email address I could email the .jpg to you to view it, if you want.

btw the ads look nice Steve

carmatic
27th Jun 2004, 08:49 AM
hey cool i just woke up and i found the little space right on the very left side, that shows the pic when i click on it
cool is that jakob or something in the car?

stevenhorton
27th Jun 2004, 10:06 AM
I don't know the bot names:P But, yes, using SVehicle, there will be a driver in the vehicles. I really think SVehicle will solve many of the problems with UnWheel: If you bring the camera close enough to the car, it will follow the car. The steering isn't like KVehicles, one tap on the arrow button doesn't turn you too far. The headlights always are on, and light the terrain corectly. And, this is a guess since I am not a coder, but since a bot is driving, they should be able to follow RoadPathnodes like in vCTF games.

ProjectX
27th Jun 2004, 11:13 AM
And, this is a guess since I am not a coder, but since a bot is driving, they should be able to follow RoadPathnodes like in vCTF games.
If we made them think they were driving hellbenders of various sizes and speeds it just might work. Although we may need to alter the roadpathnodes a little to our personal specs, i.e. to add recommendedspeed and radius properties to it.

carmatic
27th Jun 2004, 12:16 PM
hm looks like alot of work for the mapper with the botty things... maybe like we should have standards to work with (like those ibm /hp / whatever business solutions) , like shrimp or a bunch of people go about doing bot stuff to maps... or we can make it automatic somehow...
so kvehicles is how the bulldog handles, and svehicles is how the much-more-vehiclelike hellbender and scorpion handles...

speaking of which... why didnt they fix the tank in the newest official patch? they are still hanging onto the 'hovertank' concept when its already so obvious the tank wasnt going to be and isnt a hover tank, and it still gets stuck on places where it shouldnt get stuck(like where only the tracks have contact with a surface), it still gives that grinding sound on gentle slopes, and it still has this special 'righting' motion when its falling down...

also on kvehicles... hm has anyone ever driven the toiletcar before??

ProjectX
27th Jun 2004, 12:55 PM
hm looks like alot of work for the mapper with the botty things...

Actually RoadPathNodes are easier in the long run than volumes cos you can see the paths and correct them in the editor.

stevenhorton
27th Jun 2004, 02:15 PM
The code I am using for the Siren is actually from the Hellbender, so making the bot think he is in one isn't nessesary:)

carmatic
27th Jun 2004, 04:26 PM
hm when your driving around in the kvehicle vehicle, do you have wheels that spin independently of the vehicle motion?

Smokin
30th Jun 2004, 09:30 AM
I thought i might post the video clip i made in 3dmax of my car i have just finished modeling it and i am about to start textureing it.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/BMW.avi

carmatic
30th Jun 2004, 06:43 PM
wow thats smooth
and slightly scary

has anyone tried like braking and accelerating in a kvehicle rapidly yet? i hope shrimp comes up with a way to get around that, it really sucks!

assuming that i am not going to get some kind of 'too deep in the code' response, maybe the wheels can just ... umm... 'roll' passively most of the time, this takes away the possibility of those exciting skids when the car has too much torque on the wheels, but we can always set aside some equally exciting animations for those events...

or is the animation of the wheels just fixed like that and it would be 'too deep in the code' to change it ?

Shrimp
1st Jul 2004, 02:57 AM
Woohoo I'm back :D

The car looks pretty awesome in-game, and with a person inside ;)

At least now I'll have something to work with so we can get things moving :)

stevenhorton
1st Jul 2004, 10:15 PM
Shrimp, I figured out I needed a collision mesh, so I combined all ther polys on the Siren model and exported. After selecting the mesh in the mesh browser and hitting the "use" button, this is what I saw:( The Siren SVehicle and the blue wireframe mesh should be in the same orientation and position. I do not know what caused this, but I do know the car doesn't behave properly.

stevenhorton
10th Jul 2004, 12:57 AM
Here is my next car, there is no interior yet, and I actually skinned it in the UV texture editor this time:)

carmatic
10th Jul 2004, 01:44 AM
nice
its got that neo classical look to it
now add miscy bits to it to compensate for its low texture resolution like jutting headlights etc

hold on that looks like a horribly mutated bmw model?

The_Devils_Avarcardo
12th Jul 2004, 12:53 PM
Most made up cars do look like something else, if you look hard enough. That's what makes them look cool, they are like 50 different sweet cars merged into one :)

carmatic
12th Jul 2004, 04:03 PM
but the bmw part is a dead giveaway... people might think that your car is to the bmw, like what the Flood from halo is to the covenant...

stevenhorton
12th Jul 2004, 10:59 PM
Where does the car look like a BMW? The lights before were not textured yet.

carmatic
12th Jul 2004, 11:22 PM
in between the curvy parts on the front... put some contrasty textures into there and it will look more... umm... un bmw ish ... the front is otherwise already lower than what would look nice for a pure bmw, but like theres still a hint there, like the squary middle part

The_Devils_Avarcardo
15th Jul 2004, 01:16 PM
weird, just read through and i didnt see a post i *thought* i made here before, but anyways i'll do it again.

The 1st car is sweet, i really dig its lines :D
The 2nd car is cool too, although it dosent looks like a Beamer at all, sorry carmatic. Anways, awesome wotk on both ;)

stevenhorton
15th Jul 2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks for your comments The_Devils_Avarcardo:) And I totally agree, the first one is definately better:) Here is my initial inspiration for the second model, for the nose, that is.