Zero ping.......fear me

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Well, Looking at the comments surounding the Zero Ping mod this could be the begining of a revolution in online gaming. As you may know, im infamous for having a very high ping, (350-500 in UK, 450-600 in US, 800-1200 in Oz). If this mod works as well as ive heard, I shall be very happy indeed /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif. Offline my favotite tactic is to use the sniper rifle up close, some thing that i can never do online /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif. I may be online later today to try this out, Friday at the latest. (To nicley co-incide with the lauch of Capture, brand new CTF UT site, the best CTF site since, well ever /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif.

Having read the read me and posts thoughorly, I can say this, there are some measures in to stop cheating, (The server checks for line of sight on the shot) Also, i think you'll find people are using the sniper rifle a lot now, simply to try out how much difference this mod makes. Later versions of this mod will enable rapid fireing weapons to make use of this feature, and also make the mod a lot safer from hacking. And as for LPB's moaning about now getting hit by sniper fire, grow up, HPB's have had to put up with this for years. And as for saying, this mod dosnt seem to do much for me, well it isnt ment to, its to help HPB's, not the LPB's!. This mod evens the playing field a little, so now its skill, not ping that defines rankings. And that seems good to me.

PS.Remeber LPB's, you'll still have an advantage over HPB's. Youre reaction time will still be a lot better, and you're connection will be a lot steadier than HPB's. So its not as if you're snazzy connection still isnt gonna give you better performance.

>
[PuF]LordKhaine|TC

S

Selerox[PuF]

An unusually well-put post from you LK. I actualy agree with you for once /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

BTW the correct l33t spelling is "Ph34r m3" /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

PuF: Keepin' it Unreal 24 hours a day!

Hammer

Dec 6, 1999
Greensboro, NC, USA
Visit site
I have been both HP and LP so I feel your pain. But I don't think this mod is the cure. This is not a new technique that ID and Epic forgot to implement. It creates to much randomness in the state of the gameworld and that's why they don't implement it. Let's put it this way, you wouldn't to come across a someone with a 1000 ping and sniper rifle who likes to camp because you are a sitting duck for this person. I don't care how fancy your moves are, for that person you are moving in straight lines. By the way I enjoyed playing with guys the the other night.

Chool

Jul 7, 2000
Zeroping Rulez! I managed to kik some butt yesterday with a ping of 700!! That was until a very good LBP came and kicked my butt all over the map. So beware LPB´s cause HPB´s just got better. The only problem I see with this is that everyone uses sniper rifle

S

Selerox[PuF]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>1000 ping and sniper rifle who likes to camp because you are a sitting duck for this person.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And of course LPBs never camp with a sniper rifle do they? Wake up and shut up Hammer. Are you sacred of having to work for your frags?

The playing field has been leveled. And we have the ball.

bullet2.gif

PuF: Keepin' it Unreal 24 hours a day!

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
HuFlungDung, Selerox, you're wrong. Hammer is right. (yes, HuFlung, we played last night, and I feel that I was sniped/enforcered quite a few times that I shouldn't have been, cause I was dodging like crazy)

I played on a few ZP servers last night, and no matter how much I dodged (i'm very tough to hit with a rifle), it was always the higher ping players that could pull off a snipe - because to them, I wasn't dodging that much.

How does that make it take skill? It doesn't. The high ping connection combined with ZP eliminates all the work I do to NOT get hit.

Don't tell us to "get over it" and "the playing field is now level". It's not. Deal with it. /~unreal/ubb/html/redface.gif

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 03-09-2000).]

wiggum_pi

Dec 28, 1999
Visit site
I've got to agree with Rooster and Hammer on this one. Even though ZP makes my ASMD combo much snappier, client side determination will make for some odd kills. I know sometimes when my connection is screwy, I'll see players stand still for a split second. Normally, if I shoot them, the server will realize that I'm laggy and that what I saw was not really what was happening. With client side determination, I'll have killed that person. I read at there website that in future versions they will have more server confirmation techniques. That should at least improve things.

One other point to note -- they need to stop showing an advertisement line every time I get killed. It absolutely sucks. It makes me wish that someone would plagiarise the idea, but without the ads.

bullet2.gif

Who's gonna be the odd man out? I want to be the odd man out.
-- CookieMnstr_TC|PuF

[OF]candyman

Nov 24, 1999
OHIO
www.iamapervert.com
hahaha no offence but made to help hpbs?? Made to help them win..now they just need to make sure there shot is on target even though it may not truely be in fact where the target really is?? Hmmm try this....I use d3d and when I take a screen shot my gameplay freezes for a second...while your frozen (and just hit the target once but did not kill him) shoot 5 more times...I bet you shoot him 5 times before he hits the ground guarenteed a sure death hahaha what a joke!! Thats it I'm going back to dial up muaahaaaaaaaaa!!! It would not be skill if the target in question is not truely where you think it is. I also tend to agree that since the client side predicts a hpb does not update as often so even though the lpb moved on the hpb still says he's right there where he truely is not..sounds like cheating to me /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif It is a loser mutator in my book..hell a good way to cheat is to set your netspeed up way higher than it should be when you start getting packet loss and pausing shoot away your sure to win hahaha loser mod for sure /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif Not meant to flame..I was an hpb not just four weeks ago...This is not an answer that evens the playing field it actually gives hpbs an advantage...lpbs do not have a an advantage thru a mutator so is it fair to give one to a hpb that gives him an advantage? What I am saying is if an hpb sees a target but infact the target is not really there it is a form of cheating..this is not a true way to even the playing field. I dont care anyways..use it I will take you down before you see me hahahaha!!!

Junglecat

Feb 24, 2000
San Jose, CA, USA
Visit site
I finally played on a zeroping server, and after playing I think I should sign up to AOL. A client deciding anything isn't good, a mutator for a bunch of lame hpbs.

-Junglecat

One of the many hpbs, soon to be lpb.

Paendragon

Feb 23, 2000
Visit site
I have just played a few zero ping games, and as far as I am concerned its a waste of a mod. I will admit I am an lpb, but this just seems screwed up as it gives hpbs an advantage over lpbs that is unfair. The better way to play the game is to learn how to use what you have to your advantage rather than have some mod give you one. I have been an hpb before and its not impossible to do well, you just need to learn that things are different when you lose packets and have a higher ping. -Paendragon

P

Psychomoggiebagpuss

Calm down people. Played on several zeroping servers last night. With a ping of 600-700 and 10% packet loss on a 3com 56k modem (mumble mumble....fecking BT bollox.....mumble mumble /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif). What did this do? Kept me on the ASMD, enforcer and sniper rifle cause you can't hit jack sh*t otherwise (unless you're very good at predicting - and I don't know the maps that well yet (well, not as well as QWorld /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif)).
Yes, I too turned in to a camping, rifle wielding, sniping high ping bastaard lamer whore.
You get on the server and you can tell who is the hpb, because they're only using the ASMD/rifle/enforcer, as it gives them an advantage.
I enjoyed it. Hated having to rely on just a few weapons - but I haven't had that much fun with the sniper rifle since I was at uni and ran the 14 (wo)man lan party (six in my house, six next door (through handily drilled hole in the wall) and two friends from over the road who carried their stuff over.

Though I must admit, my favorite frag of the entire night, was ripping Lord Khaine a new one with the impact hammer /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif.

LOL

bullet2.gif

psychomoggiebagpuss
AKA Armadillo Dragon of the -=UDIC=-
Wielder of the Sacred Blackrock Baguette
"If there is anything bigger than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now"

[This message has been edited by Psychomoggiebagpuss (edited 03-10-2000).]

Chool

Jul 7, 2000
the only thing i dont like bout zp istha every HPB turns into a camper. aside from that i´m its biggest fan. anay PuFer wanna play with me I am The_Ping the lagmaster of all!

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
ZP makes HPBs think they're doing better It makes LPB's notice even the smallest lag with no problem.

The HPB's think they've got skills for the same reason that someone who knows win98 thinks they're a "Power User" They can make the computer do what they want, but they don't know why because the pretty graphical interface hides what's really going on.
ZP game holds their hand, and they can kill someone who had, in reality run away a long time ago, bu their local lag makes them think they're still there.

bullet2.gif

"Where's the BACTINE?! Some of this blood is MINE!!" -- JTHM

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
Zeroping = HPC (High Ping Camper)

The best thing about Zeroping is that it labels servers using it. That way I can avoid those servers.

PS. I am a HPB who is comfortable with my 250 - 350 ping. (Am I a HPB? I consider &gt;200 a HPB. I do connect via 56K modem.) I may suck at UT, but I'd rather run around, cause mischief, and get some real frags instead of relying on a mutator to give me kills. I was never one to snipe much, just here and there, since I'd rather keep moving. I'd hate resorting to excessive camping tactics with limited weapons just to keep pace and get kills.

Now I'm biased 'cause I find my ping acceptable. For the likes of HPB with mighty pings (Psychomoggiebagpuss and others), I see why Zeroping is so eagerly embraced. It actually allows you to play (although limited by weapon type) and not be fodder to LPB's.

More power to you if you use it. I'll just play elsewhere.

bullet2.gif

That'll learn ya!

P

Psychomoggiebagpuss

Hopefully BT will sort out all their bloody server problems and my ping will gradually become managable again ("great idea.....lets drop prices, give them a freephone number for weekdays and advertise for even more susbscribers when our packet loss is atrocious.....what do you mean upgrade our servers"....... /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif......grrrrrr)

pmb

[currently filled with nostalgia for his ping of 250 on his 33.6 modem over quakeworld]
Thats an idea.....if i reduce the connection speed (from 56k to about 40k) that should reduce my packet loss.....theoretically. Only problem is, with a degree in engineering, i know that theoretically is never the same as practically.
bugger.

bullet2.gif

psychomoggiebagpuss
AKA Armadillo Dragon of the -=UDIC=-
Wielder of the Sacred Blackrock Baguette
"If there is anything bigger than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now"

[This message has been edited by Psychomoggiebagpuss (edited 03-10-2000).]

Watchdog

Nov 29, 1999
windsor, ontaio, canada
Visit site
I used to be a HPB--and pretty fierce one at that. Then I got cable and I thought, now I'm going to be unstoppable. I couldn't be more wrong. Sure it was more plesueable to play, and I didn't have to predict, but but kill ratio didn't really go up that much: 5-10 per game, but my score didn't double. Just like before, I was in the top three almost everytime. Now I don't mean to say that HPB whine uneccessarily--because they definately do not--but I mean skill is one thing and using HP as an excuse is another. I've gotten my *** handed to me by a 450-500 pinger--he/she was good! HPB do have a dissadvantage, I'm not disputing that, but suddenly getting cable or DSL isn't going to make you an allstar. LK--600 is unplayable as far as I'm concerned, but if ping is 300 or lower, skill comes into play at least as much as ping. A lot of HPB (with this I mean 300 or lower) come on to server and say "I can't compete with your ping", I reply (in my head, because there is no reason to start a flame) You can't compete. NOw, so I don't get flamed, I'll repeat, HPBs do have a legit complaint--no question--but to put your dismal scores (by dismal I mean something like 60-12) solely on the shoulders of "HP" doesn't sit that well with me (if it's a close game then a complaint may be warranted). LP is an advantage, but it will not make you a great player--hand-eye coordination and reflexes will. I found that out, and so will most of you when you get a good connection.

Danra

Dec 25, 1999
Israel
Visit site
I bet it's snowing in hell right now... All over the place there are HPBs whining about how LPBs have an unfair advantage... /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

I haven't played on a zp server yet so I can't comment on it... However, I completely disagree with watchdog. I'm a true HPB - I usually get a 400-500 ping, 350 if i'm lucky. Sure, when I'm fighting other HPBs or LPBs who aren't very good players I can kick their arses... But when a good LPB and a good HPB meet, the LPB has a MUCH better chance to win. Over a lan I kick *** , and im close to finishing the godlike tournament, so I consider myself a good player, however when im pitched against a 100 ping player who knows his business... Many times I can't even see those rockets coming at me... and i'm already dead.

I'm not blaming LPBs for being LPBs - just don't come telling me that LPBs can manage - because sometimes they can't, and I'm certain there are many HPBs out there who are great players - but are hindered by their poor connection. Watchdog, sharpen your skills because I'm sure you can do better as an LPB then when you were an LPB! (then again, maybe not /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif )