What looks like cheating may just be unlisted Mut.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
Here`s something for you all to think about.
And please correct me if I`m wrong!!!!!
Don`t Admits now have the option to disable autodownloads on their server eg: new maps and Muts???
The reason I`m asking lets say I have a server running I install a mut, no one will know it is there without me enabling autoD/L
or stating it on the server search screen. Well with as many mut out as there are unless someone installs each and everyone of them some weird looking things could be seen during gameplay. Which could also be deemed as cheating. And I thought someone had hacked the code, this is much easier........
The case in point, last night I was on a different server normal Ctf face, sniping away kept getting hit by someone but could not find them (I know ALL the sniper spots on face) but could see the shells fly, Umm maybe they are on the opposite ramp with just the scope over the edge. Ok took care of them with a redemer went back to sniping. Next thing I know I`m getting hit(my position only allowed enough of me showing for someone a head shot, this wasn`t ) I turned went for the armor, as soon as i turned I saw the fire was coming from behind me in the corner of the ramp next to the tranlocator, I could see the shells fly and the muzzle flash but NO ONE standing(kneeling) there. I shot the muzzle flash and it annouced head shot, I had just killed casper the ghost(real name Cyclops).........
It turned out he was also the Admit. Now all the info posted about a server is voluntary so it makes sense now some of the weird things I have seen. There is nothing in the server browser or the ingame info that scans their server to list what has been installed (as far as muts go) so therefore an admit could give themselves a nice little edge if wanted...And by the way I think I found the Mut that he might have been using, It is designed for spawn protection, it makes spawners totally invisable for XXX amount of time, TIME=ADMIT selectable....
I don`t know how we as players can overcome this, other then play on known good servers. We can`t ask epic to install a scanner with 1400 or so servers that would take forever, something we could do would be come up with a scanner that after selecting a server would scan it and report which if any mut`s have been installed and give you the option to join or not..

------------------
He Shoots..He Scores..He gets shot in the back.
new ingame name Yr2ESY Nguid 629493

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Sounds like he was cheating.
The server browser will list any mutators playing, whether the admin wants it to or not.

Also, if auto d/l is off, you won't connect. It'll give a server refused error, and boot you.

bullet2.gif

"Where's the BACTINE?! Some of this blood is MINE!!" -- JTHM

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
Something you might be interested in:
Admininstrators can control downloading of packages from their server by editing the [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] section of unrealtournament.ini:

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=True
MaxDownloadSize=0

AllowDownloads disables all autodownloads.
MaxDownloadSize=0 means allow autodownload of any sized file. Otherwise the value is in BYTES. We recommend that rather than disabling all downloads, you set the MaxDownload size to an appropriate value. For example, MaxDownloadSize=100000 will allow mutators and other small packages to be downloaded, but will not allow large files such as maps to be downloaded. Turning off all downloads may make it hard for clients to get on your server if you are using a lot of custom maps, mutators or other custom packages.

copied from Unreal tech. server setup page...

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=True...apparently this used to only stop the downloading for you as a client, in patch 405b this now works on the serverside as well. You can stop people from downloading items from your server. The DownloadRate is now equal to the MaxClientRate, so downloaders are treated the same as players in terms of bandwidth.

copied from Unreal tech. server admit page.

bullet2.gif

[This message has been edited by VaShooter (edited 03-15-2000).]

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
This is about the 5th time I read about this "invisibility cheat" now, so I'm really gettin suspicious.

However, I can not be done the way you describe it. If a server has any server package defined (like a UMOD), that you do not have and auto-download it turned off, you cannot connect to the server.

Also, I doubt, that it is this respawn mod, because then everybody would be invisible after respawn.

But I really start believing, that this cheat does exist. /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif But at least you have to be admin (that's what all those people confirmed, who described the cheat) to use the cheat, so that limits the use a lot.

bullet2.gif

Greetings from the ©leaner

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
Well, often...lemme rephrase that...ALL the time, the cheating occurs on a listening server. So I do something to sort of "clense" our world from those bad guys. I send a few hundred IGMP packets ^_^
You guys might think less of me, but I find it suitable to people who cheat like that. I mean, its a just a ruiner for a game.

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
Cleaner, Read what I pasted directly from Unreal tech. Admit page above. Read what it states happened in Patch 4.05...

Now if this was mut. and only one person had it installed on his puter(naturally since he was also the admit)only way someone else would know (or in this case would work for) would be because they had it preinstalled.

Now I`m not saying this is "The reason" but I have seen some strange things on some servers, people able to jump higher, people that "NEVER MISS", people able to jump from the top of face and land right in front of their fort,The list goes on...
And Don`t go saying I`m just a lamer or something like that, On equal grounds someone beats me i`ll be the first to walk up and congragulate(sp?) you. I spent many years in the Corp, Doing one thing, I was tought to look for a blade of grass moving that shouldn`t, because it could be a sniper trying to get me before I could get him...That training tought me to be very observeant thats why when something doesn`t look right it catch`s my attention very fast...

bullet2.gif

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
DragonAsh, while your intentions are good, we need less flooding of packets on the Internet. Remember that all those packets have to go through several other hops before they get to your target, and slow down everything else going through that same computing resource. Every day there's a tremendous strain on the internet at large from people flooding each other with packets. We all could use less lag on our connections.

Now if you can find a way to bring the hammer down and dispense some indiscriminate justice on cheaters without flooding our lines, I say go for it...