Server through DSL? Is it possible?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jcheers

Jan 1, 2000
Kent, WA
Visit site
I have an ADSL line and was trying to create an server through it. I was told that the ip that I get through winipcfg (10.x.x.x) is sort of an fake ip through US West.

I have found out what my true ip is and tried to set up an server through this one and still nobody could see me? Am I doing this coreectly? If not can some one please direct me in the right path!

Thanks!
JC

K

krypto

I think you need to have the 'advertise server' box checked.

jcheers

Jan 1, 2000
Kent, WA
Visit site
Thanks Krypto,

But I made sure that the "Advertise Server" box was checked. After setting up everything then running dedicated or listen my server only shows up in LAN. None of my friends see it. I know it can be done but how? What is weird is that I have ran a Quake 3 server (Dedicated and listen) with no problem.

Thanks for answering!

JC

UT Gods HELP!

K

krypto

Hey bro, your mama taught you well. Very well mannered with the thank you's and all. And I am not being sarcastic.

One more thing you should double check. Make sure the 'optimize for LAN' box is unchecked.

Oh, and you're welcome. Hope that helps. No, thank you. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

Thats was nasty

The Rat

Feb 10, 2000
www.games.calweb.com
I am running my UT server on a win98se box with ADSL. Are you on a router or directly connected??

If on a router you will need to open several ports. Let me know how you are connected and I will pass on to you the ports that you will need to open.

If you are directly connected, then just make sure the advertise server is checked.

Russ "Rat Boy" W.

bullet2.gif

The Rat's Nest
63.195.145.43:7777

The Rat

Feb 10, 2000
www.games.calweb.com
I am running my UT server on a win98se box with ADSL. Are you on a router or directly connected??

If on a router you will need to open several ports. Let me know how you are connected and I will pass on to you the ports that you will need to open.

If you are directly connected, then just make sure the advertise server is checked.

Russ "Rat Boy" W.

bullet2.gif

The Rat's Nest
63.195.145.43:7777

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Rat boy, I assume you're asking if he has an internal or external DSL router.

I have an external (it's on my hub)... and I can host easily. But, I also have static IP's for each of my computers as well as the router (of course). So, that is probably the issue he's looking at. Assuming he has an external router, it's probably using NAT to assign "fake" IP's to the computer(s) on the inside. I'm not sure how detrimental this would be to hosting a server.. but try adding this line to your DSL Router...

set nat entry add <internal_addr> 7777 <external_addr> 7777 udp

(numbers listed below are example only - you must replace them with the appropriate numbers from your system)
internal_addr = 10.0.0.1 or whatever your IP is for your computer
external_addr = 214.32.16.2 or whatever the IP is for your router

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

DeatH-TricK

Mar 8, 2000
UTRage.com
If your using cisco 975 router and cbos 2.1 update for the router code the all you need to do is get into a telnet or hyperterminal and put the router into enable mode. then type the following line

set nat entry add 10.0.0.x all

this will open all ports for your system. if you only want to open post for UT then type the following commands

set nat entry add 10.0.0.x 7777 udp
(repeat command untill you have opened 10 ports)

set nat entry add 10.0.0.x 7787 udp

when hosting u need to add the addtional ports for advertising and for incoming packets

i hope this helps

DT DD

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
RATBOY!!!!
you aremy savior!! I have the exact same problem! This even effects my FTP sessions! I cant retrieve any dir listings nor can my server be connected to or advertised! Please oh please help me. My DSL is through a router as well. External modem and all that junk. Can you help me?