Any advice on how to use the RL?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

StrangeFish

Feb 22, 2000
Manchester, CT, 06040
Visit site
I'm a pretty good opponent with a flack cannon, minigun, sniper rifle, etc, but when it come to the RL I'm not very good. When I get into a one-on-one duel with the RL I'm pretty much asking for death. I'd like to get better with it as there are some situations in which it's pretty much the best weapon to use. Any advice?

Ritz

Cracka
Nov 10, 1999
miami, FL
Visit site
aim for the nuts
gets em every time

bullet2.gif

cK-Ritz

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
Personelly I have gotten much better with the R/L since I set it to single fire. The reason, I can follow someone firing off rockets(holding the fire button down) before it would just start loading up for a multi burst. This way it`s just like a rifle or pistol but with more punch. Just remember it is a great splash damage weapon. Also when chasing someone sometimes it is better to give it time to auto lock, then to keep firing....
This may not work for everyone but it sure has helped me ..........

bullet2.gif

He Shoots..He Scores..He gets shot in the back.
new ingame name Yr2ESY Nguid 629493

normyUM

Mar 14, 2000
Visit site
I have two strategies for close-quarter rocket duels:

One is to load up 2-4 rockets each time in the hope of a one-shot one-kill, while dancing around in the usual manner.

The other is to use single rockets to bounce them into the air, then aim at their feet on landing. Single rockets are also good to wear the opponent down, throw their aim off, and disorientate them.

bullet2.gif

<center> </center>
<center>Unreal Master</center>

wiggum_pi

Dec 28, 1999
Visit site
Don't be afraid to back up, and then fire. Of course don't just go backwards -- strafe from side to side a little, and jump, all the while fire off rockets at your opponent.

bullet2.gif

Who's gonna be the odd man out? I want to be the odd man out.
-- [Ci]CookieMnstr|PuF

i well placed impact hammer kicks the *** of a RL... :p :p :p

ok... anyway. i usually have 5 rockets charged as i rush the base. (CTF)... in DM i always have them charged... if i waste them coz they fire on their own, i go get more ammo. when i let loose, instead of the spread, i keep em all together for a super blast...
if it's one on one RLing for me, i jump like hell and charge 2 or 3 rockets...

bullet2.gif

Websters Dictionary defines vampire as:
blood-sucking animal, person, ghost, etc.; person who preys on others.

Yep, that's me... :)

email: fatalabyss@hotmail.com
http://vamps.cjb.net

Talon

Dec 26, 1999
Canada
go.to
Always aim for their feet when firing only one rocket at a time unless they are just standing still. If you are gonna aim at the upper body have at least 3-6 rockets ready to go. With one on one if he has the rocket launcher too let him fire the single rockets at you. Strafe left and right or jump and backwards (just don't back into a wall) and wait till it locks on. Then blast em. If that misses fire them at his feet or charge up a buch of grenades for close quarters. Hope that helps /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

Let your greatness silence all those who oppose you and cause them to run away cowardly at the sight of your name.

I

ImagoX

I used to suck w/ the RL (is it called the Eightball in U:T?)- the travel time just threw me totally. This was back in the days of QuakeII. Then I started playing lots of Rocket Arena for QII, where I pretty much dedicated myself to it, and now I'm pretty damn good, if I say so myself. Most of the points listed above (instant fire rockets, aiming for the feet/walls near an opponant, etc.) are excelent points. Splash damage from off the floor and walls will eventually kill as well as anything else.

When using the RL, the SINGLE MOST importantthing to to is predictive fire- that is, look where your target is going and then lead him with the shot. I find if I lead about 1 1/2 times as much as my first instinct says, I get lots more hits for some reason.

I prefer to use the RL at medium range, since it cuts the travel time while keeping me out of the blast radius. HOWEVER, since the U:T RL has ther neat-o lock feature, I've found that I'm using it at longer and longer ranges. Don't count on this too much though, as the rockets don't steer all that much- still lead the target whenever possible to improve your chances.

Bottom line: practice, practice, practice. If you want to get better, always use the RL as much as humanly possible, in all kinds of situations. You'll die a lot at first, but once you start learning it's nuances, you will find there is NO cooler feeling than spinning and launching a rocket at a leaping target, and nailing him in midair... mmmm...flying gibs... sigh. =)

-ImagoX

bullet2.gif

"If you ever drop your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go because, man, they're gone."
-Jack Handey

Mute

All you have to do is smile!
One thing interesting I've noticed about people and the rocket launcher... they wait for the animation to completely load a rocket (or rockets) before releasing the button to fire.

The fact is, the instant that you first click the mouse button (assuming you aren't on single rockets) you can release and a rocket will shoot out. don't wait for the animation to load the rocket. if you normally wait for the animation to load a single rocket, hold it for just a split second longer until it appears to start loading the second rocket. then release. voila... two rockets for the same time cost that you've always been shooting one.

It's a tiny thing, but people really do depend on the animation/sound effects telling them when they can fire the rocket launcher, and in this case they are very misleading!

bullet2.gif

Mute|PuF: Rumormonger for hire.