PDA

View Full Version : Atakapa Battle Chopper RELEASE!!

Eyegore
7th Jun 2004, 11:04 AM
Swoop down and across the terrain and lay waste with a 50cal exploding projectile chaingun! Take out air vehicles and Mantas with your homing missiles! Strike terror into the hearts of hapless ground troops! Send your enemies crying back to their mommies!

Get your very own Atakapa Battle Chopper today! (And if you get your chopper in the next 30 seconds, you can claim a $15,000 tax deduction for you 2004 tax return!!)

screenshots:
http://www.icosometricdesign.com/Projects.html

download:
http://www.icosometricdesign.com/downloads.html

EvilDrWong
8th Jun 2004, 05:51 AM
30 seconds? Aw CRAP! I totally missed the deal :(

Eyegore
8th Jun 2004, 06:40 AM
Worry not, dear readers!

This offer has been extended indefinately - You can claim a $15,000 tax deduction at anytime! (Offer void where prohibited - California, Massachussets, Vermont, Maryland.)

Eyegore
8th Jun 2004, 11:17 AM
PS -

Just to let you know, my webhosting service is the pits.

If you get an error like 'file not found' or some crap, let me know...otherwise, keep trying - it's there.

Arrghh!!! CL sucks!!!!!

Kangus
8th Jun 2004, 01:31 PM
Crap web hosting? I'll mirror it.

Eyegore
8th Jun 2004, 01:45 PM
That would be awesome! What do you need from me to do this - or do you just need the file?

Thanks a load!!

Kangus
8th Jun 2004, 04:38 PM
here it is:
http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/wod/UT2k4/AtakapaBattleCopter.zip

Eyegore
8th Jun 2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks!

Eyegore
14th Jun 2004, 11:42 PM
OK - finally!!!

Got the cockpit in - fixed the damtype, sped up the projectile a little and some other minor tweaks. Didn't do the tracer fix, I'll take care of that at a later date, I need to put this thing to sleep for a while:)

I hope you guys like it - here are some screens.

I can't upload tonite, frickin webhost is down AGAIN!! And they boast a 99.9% up time - don't know what that means I guess...

Gee, I hope you guys are still reading this thread. Kangus, maybe you could overwrite the old file on your mirror with the new?

Thanks

EvilDrWong
15th Jun 2004, 02:11 AM
Very nice! Im digging that cockpit model! :D

Kangus
15th Jun 2004, 02:23 AM
Gee, I hope you guys are still reading this thread. Kangus, maybe you could overwrite the old file on your mirror with the new?
Sure, just e-mail it to me

carmatic
15th Jun 2004, 08:04 PM
hm what version of the chopper is this, mine doesnt have the cockpit...

all i remember is having the tail that blows off and the waterfall sound being taken off....

hm what if... the main feature of the chopper is instead its machine gun... can that be animated like the scorpion's gun?also can something be done so that the missiles always shoot out the front of the chopper, and not at any angle like the raptor (kinda balances the added strength of the machine gun...) hm maybe holding down left+right mouse buttons can shoot the missile pods or something? cuz you can see the pods on the chopper wings but they dont do anything... maybe they can be like a fixed-position leviathan rocket but much faster and less accurate...
personally i think the tail breaking off thing is a silly idea, like the pilot can still somehow get out of the chopper alive after the tail has broken off (and someone else can jump in and take off again) , plus theres the fact that sooner or later people will start noticing it keeps on breaking in that specific place and stuff...
also umm can the blades stop spinning when you get out?kinda surreal to have them whirling around when theyre unoccupied and stay completely manta-silent...
oh wait am i having an outdated version? i got the model like day before yesterday, on monday...

oh yeah and a cheesy idea... lets say that a tank hits the chopper mid air... and completely smashes it to pieces... maybe the blades can then accelerate gracefully upwards or something, then explodes neatly in mid air a few seconds later...
ah and one last thing... maybe the sound of the chopper shouldnt change like the raptor anymore, i.e. its pitch changes during horizontal movement... maybe you can pitch it slightly during vertical changes...
oh and flashing lights on the tips of the wings would be nice too hehe

Eyegore
15th Jun 2004, 11:47 PM
Umm, wow - a lot of great ideas - in fact excellent ideas; let me address then one at a time:

hm what version of the chopper is this, mine doesnt have the cockpit...
I haven't yet released that version yet - look for it tomorrow. I'll post in here and in the new MOD forum - plus Kangus will be hooking it up on his mirror.

hm what if... the main feature of the chopper is instead its machine gun... can that be animated like the scorpion's gun?also can something be done so that the missiles always shoot out the front of the chopper, and not at any angle like the raptor (kinda balances the added strength of the machine gun...) hm maybe holding down left+right mouse buttons can shoot the missile pods or something? cuz you can see the pods on the chopper wings but they dont do anything... maybe they can be like a fixed-position leviathan rocket but much faster and less accurate...

I'm barely a novice coder - these are definately thoughts that crossed my mind, but I don't have the skills to pull this off (yet - maybe sometime in the near to distant future). To have the rockets spawn in an offset that looks like they come out of the pods may be doable, but I'm not sure how to go about that in the scripting and I wanted to play with this model, not really spend the next 67873682 hours learning - definately for the next vehicle I will consider this stuff. This chopper was really a modelling exersize.

lly i think the tail breaking off thing is a silly idea, like the pilot can still somehow get out of the chopper alive after the tail has broken off (and someone else can jump in and take off again) , plus theres the fact that sooner or later people will start noticing it keeps on breaking in that specific place and stuff...

Good thoughts here - I figured it'd be cool to not necessarily have the player die - it also causes the excitement of being dropped behind enemy lines with nothing but your wits and skills to get you out. Maybe the fact that he can get back in is silly, but he should'nt be able to fly with any accuracy at all. I like to play with friendly fire damage and this makes trying to use a downed chopper dangerous. I suppose it would have been possible to have several different breakoff areas but frankly, I didn't think of it. Sorry:)

also umm can the blades stop spinning when you get out?kinda surreal to have them whirling around when theyre unoccupied and stay completely manta-silent...

Yeah, I know - but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the rotors to stop after getting out - I tried just about everything. So I figured I'd let it go. I tried to get the volume of the sound up, but the sound only plays when someone in in the vehicle. Again, something for the future.

oh wait am i having an outdated version? i got the model like day before yesterday, on monday...

See above

oh yeah and a cheesy idea... lets say that a tank hits the chopper mid air... and completely smashes it to pieces... maybe the blades can then accelerate gracefully upwards or something, then explodes neatly in mid air a few seconds later...

I don't think that's a cheesy idea, but definaltly a scripting challenge to set up the emitters to hook that up. Maybe for chopper v2.0 (if there's enough interest in v1.1 to warrant a v2.0:))

ah and one last thing... maybe the sound of the chopper shouldnt change like the raptor anymore, i.e. its pitch changes during horizontal movement... maybe you can pitch it slightly during vertical changes...
oh and flashing lights on the tips of the wings would be nice too hehe

I thought the changing sound did OK - maybe not - I supppose I could have added a jetsound to the forward acceleration. Cool idea about the lights - again, if there's a v2.0, there will definately be wing liights.

Now I have a question for you:

WHERE IN CARNATION WERE YOU FOR THE BETA_TEST?!?
:)

carmatic
16th Jun 2004, 04:24 PM
beta test? i actually just stumbled across your chopper on some obscure internet artist's website i came across from 3dbuzz... definitely a cool idea, and i hope that you can figure it out and stuff... i do know that the moving turret involves the modelling, and you define axes and stuff
then again i dont even know what emmiters are so i might not be being helpful hahah

also how about the classic command&conquer style helicopter destruction , where the chopper just goes down spinning around, or maybe in a spiral... it can be kinda hard, like not converting into the 'dead vehicle' model when it is destroyed, then again you can have your current 'broken tail' effect kick in at something like 10 health on the chopper or something so you'll have to be quite lucky or use a correct weapon to see the chopper do this...just add some billowing smoke flame and all that stuff... also do the thing that happens when a scorpion lands upside down, like it 'releases' the player , so that he either falls to his death if its too high or is caught under the chopper if its too low, so you'll likely score a kill for doing this to a helicopter... unless it falls into water or something or theres low gravity or whatever... and for goodness sake dont make the vehicle 'bounce' like a raptor, make it look like its dug into the ground or something if it does the spiralling thing, just like those strategy and flight sim games...

Eyegore
16th Jun 2004, 10:20 PM
Well, I have posted the newest version for public DL on my site.

http://icosometricdesign.com/

Go ahead and get it - it's available through the same link. Though I'm sure you'll have tons of suggestions, I'll use them on my next model (vehicle).

Thanks a lot for your input:D

I'm going to email Kangus to see if he had a chance to put the latest version on the mirror - I'll wait to hear from him before I officially release in the new mod forum.

THnaks

Fallen Angel
17th Jun 2004, 01:34 AM
very kewl =O love the cockpit - well test it thoroughly when I get back from work

carmatic
20th Jun 2004, 11:39 AM
ok umm im thinking of the hellbender's interior right now... how did they make it so that the terrain doesnt 'sink' through the hellbender's interior, perhaps the collision properties of the atakapa needs to be changed, or the view needs to be like raised up abit... and the cockpit also is locked to the view,this is useful cuz like you gotta aim at all sorts of funny angles and the cockpit would have gotten in the way, but i am also thinking of how the hellbender's interior is actually part of the vehicle , or how the energy turret's interior kind of 'lags' behind abit if you turn fast, thats what's gonna improve the chopper... like make some kind of polygonal cockpit that encases the player, but the bottom part's transparent so people can see whats below them, and people can see the metally bits that hold between the windshield rotate with the chopper... i know this is gonna be abit of modelling, but thats what i think is nice...
im thinking of the the entire cockpit texture as a shader so we can have gradients of translucency and stuff... maybe we can explain it by like theres a camera mounted on the machine gun which turns with your head, works well at great distances but if your close to the ground its slightly unrealistic...

Eyegore
20th Jun 2004, 12:39 PM
There had to be a fine line between looks and practicality - with my novice programming skills and so on. True, it is strange to have terain appear when you crash into the ground. Maybe I can adjust the camera up a bit in addition to the cockpit model.

in the Hellbender and scorpion, they did model the interior and place the camera inside when in 1st person view. But with the number of poly the chopper aready has, it made more sense to separate the 2. That way, people dont have to render 8000 polys per chopper. Besides, in the Hellbender and Scorpion, when you drive through tall grass, you can see the grass enter the cab. As for the machine gun thing, maybe it'd be cool to have the chopper just drive when in normal view, but when you hit the alt-fire, you get the machine gun view, with a nifty little hud and such.

Also, I really like your ideas, but I think I'm going to use them on my next project instead. I have learned from this project, but to go back and make these changes doesn't appeal to me at the moment. I will at a later date. The next project will be much more thought out and prepared, now that I know what types of things people are looking for.

It would probably be best for me to restart the project from the beginning, but I'm not feeling like that right now. I've been working on this for 2 months straight and need to learn more about modelling and painting textures so that my next project comes out even better.

I hope you don't think I don't like your ideas, or that I don't like my stuff to be perfect,because I do, I just want to let this thing rest for a while and if I don't let it go, it'll never get done:)

Thanks for taking a look at the chopper, I realize there is a lot that can be done with it, and I eventually will come out with a v2.0 (when actually depends on what kind of feedback I get from this version.)

carmatic
20th Jun 2004, 12:48 PM
yeah the cockpit idea was nice, i just have even more ideas for the cockpit heh...

ive also been thinking, barring really advanced programming skills, that it can be 2 different views when inside the cockpit superimposed on each other , one is the normal rendering that you see with your eyes and the camera, and the other one is the 'camera too close to something' view and the images are going to be different ,what will be shown will only be the difference between the 2 views... like a really close range fog and view culling distance is applied the 'difference' view , and it is offset to the gun's position... so when your in mid air , the second view will be all fog and you only see the normal view, but if your too close to the ground or anything below the chopper, they will be within the rendering distance and will be blended to the view to simulate the effect of 2 different viewpoints at once...
hm maybe its not a good idea, like its such an expensive way to make such a cheap effect (like it only assumes stuff to come below the chopper, but maybe something will be above you but then again the camera is below the chopper so hmm)

Kangus
21st Jun 2004, 01:03 PM
sorry its taken so long, but here's our mirror of the latest version of the chopper Eyegore sent me:
http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/wod/UT2k4/AtakapaBattleCopter.zip