upcomeing skin

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

killerwes

Jun 4, 2004
my first skin so go easy on me
and for all those who are a great fan of timesplitters heres gretel MK my first skin!!! NOTICE: its fuzzy because i had to save it as GIF :/

Attachments

• gretel mk.JPG
    gretel mk.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 160

old_man_funk

vanilla
Feb 17, 2004
UK
Good start, but it needs a lot more detail. Try adding dirt and scratches in the armour, also maybe some lighting (ie. darken the parts where shadows would be cast) and some joints in the armour (if it was real, it wouldn't be made as one, it would be made as many and stuck together). Above all, just keep practising and you'll get better :D

=NS= Spectre

Apr 26, 2004
Ive found that the the game tends to make textures brighter than they appear in upaint or other paint programs, the best way to combat it is to just darken your skin a level or 2

frosty

Frozen in time.
May 18, 2004
USA
www.geocities.com
Pretty good start, I'd study the way light shines upon objects and reflects with back light. You can gouge or put in random grooves in armour too - like burn it in a spot then see how light would catch around the bottom or crossways on the scratches/burn spot. Plus the tops of the armour or strategic light points should lighten up/dodge or paint in but not with pure white. This woudl help give it shape and detail. Goodluck! :)

killerwes

Jun 4, 2004
to bring back old threads but how do u make the skin darker its way to light plz i need to get some help becuase this skin would look kickass without it being so bright

Balbo_Biggins

It's Booma Time
Jun 30, 2004
yeah dont feel bad search for petrifier that was my first one, and just a little question, do people usually use original textures then chang the color or do people just totally make their own? like a few of the xan skins look like they have the original texture just different colors

old_man_funk

vanilla
Feb 17, 2004
UK
Balbo_Biggins said:
yeah dont feel bad search for petrifier that was my first one, and just a little question, do people usually use original textures then chang the color or do people just totally make their own? like a few of the xan skins look like they have the original texture just different colors

Sadly, most people just recolour the original textures. I always try to make it my own work, but this is extremley difficult without the proper tools (ie. a graphics tablet). I wish that people would do more than just recolour the original textures as the results are generally a lot better. I think it's the complexity of game engines these days, UT2004 supports 1024x1024 textures which are extremley difficult to work with if it's your first skin. It was easier back in the days of Quake and the original UT becuase textures were a lot smaller and therefore easier to edit.

Balbo_Biggins

It's Booma Time
Jun 30, 2004
Just a tip for a few people i discovered a few minutes ago, if you outline parts of the body (like me and other gundam modelers call detailing it makes the texture look better.