Out of virtual memory?? Don't get this...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
P

[PuF]Firestorm

thanx Viper.. didn't work though. i still got the errors. im re-d/ling the 405 patch so maybe that'll do something..

bullet2.gif

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

P

[PuF]Firestorm

This sux! I got no 3DFX card at the moment, because it was screwing my computer up big-time. i'm gonna get a new one soon tho.
anyway, it seems now, that whenever i try to load UT up (and yes i am planning on running UT in software mode for the moment), it gives me an 'Out of Virtual Memory' error. this is weird cuz i still got 1gb left on the HD. Thing is, the intro comes up, but it's when i press ESC to go to the menus when it crashes.
I might try turning the intro off so it just loads the menu, but i'm still not sure if this will work.

------------------

P

[PuF]Firestorm

how do i set my virtual memory?

bullet2.gif

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
I suggest you defrag your hard drive first! Then change the virtual memory and make sure you reboot after you do that!

bullet2.gif

Super(ST)Troopers lights are gonna shine on you...

wiggum_pi

Dec 28, 1999
Visit site
Make sure you have lots of space available on your c:\ drive. I deleted a lot of crap from my c:\ and the messages stopped.

bullet2.gif

Who's gonna be the odd man out? I want to be the odd man out.
-- [Ci]CookieMnstr|PuF

SlugwormX

Mar 12, 2000
Visit site
UT, if I remeber rightly, has its own swap file, or virtual memory. So as wiggum_pi said, freeing up space could help.
As windows is not giving you errors when you open other apps, its probably not the windows swap file.
Maybe you have a corrupt UT swap file, that stuffs things around?? It can happen in windows, dont know about UT tho. Maybe some one else can help with this.

Hope this helps, SlugwormX

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
Also try Ctrl-Alt-Del and delete everything but systray and explorer before you fire it up

bullet2.gif

---Prof. Of Comic-Therory/Comedic-History

Beware the army of Giant Mutan Ninja Midgets!!!

ATP

Mar 11, 2000
atpmusic.tripod.com
Maybe it would also help if you increased UT's cache size. The default setting is 2 mb or so, but if you have a lot of RAM you can dramatically increase your gameplay by increasing the cache size.
I have 128 mb and I set my cache size to 96. No problems and much faster loading! If you have 64 mb, you might try a cache size of 32 or perhaps 48.

You can change this in the 'Unrealtournament.ini' file in UT's System folder. Locate the file, doubleclick on it and find the line:

[Engine.GameEngine]

Directly under this you'll find the cache settings. Here you can change the value.

NOTE however that I don't know how this will work for you! My computer isn't top of the bill, but it gets close and all's well. I can't say how it'll work on your system, since I don't have the specs. UT might crash on you just the same.

If this doesn't help your problem, at least you'll have better gameplay when you've fixed it ;-)

bullet2.gif

Consistency is the defence of a small mind. (Beldin - Eddings)

[This message has been edited by ATP (edited 03-12-2000).]

Stryker

I had the same problem. See if you have any extra skin packs installed. If you do, they may be causing the crash. I had to get rid of all of my skin packs and remove them from the ini file to get back into UT. After that, I reloaded them one at a time until I found the one that was causing the problem. (it was the female INF skins by the way)

P

[PuF]Firestorm

thanx for the ideas! i'll try some of them.

bullet2.gif

P

[PuF]Firestorm

bullet2.gif

P

[PuF]Firestorm

bullet2.gif

P

[PuF]Firestorm

hey! triple post! never done one of them b4!! lovely..

bullet2.gif