RAM ing Speed!!!!!!!?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Voyd-

Nov 24, 1999
Visit site
yup, im getting an extra 128mb stick soon, and im getting it from crucial for sure.

bullet2.gif

$GB$Voyd

Bounca

Unemployed Loser
Jan 18, 2000
Visit site
O.K. people

Who knows about RAM makers like Viking, Simple, Kingston, Simple, and Crucial?

It seems Crucial is DRASTICALLY cheeper. Why?, anyone know? I can get a 128 stick directly from them for $110, where as Viking, Kingston, etc. want $200. Is there somethin fishy with crucial that they are so cheap? thanks all

Necroth

Former WeeDHead
Mar 7, 2000
Visit site
Sure there a difference in memchips.

First of all the accesspeed and the busspeed of memory. (but that you'll proberly allready know).
Second quality of the used components.
And last but not least, what components are used.

As far as i know, is kingston about the best and the expencive mem modules you'll can get.
But i'll know then you go for quality and stability.
Cheap mem are mostly tin-leaded (tin like connections) better is the gold-leaded sims for optimum connections.
Also the quality of the memchips divvers, even read articels of fake mem mod.
These give to you'r system twice the amount that they aqtual are (think the chit you'll get then)

There are many options (don't know the right word in english) to choose why buy a brand of mem, but a 3D gamer want one thing only SPEED, there i personally advice the kingstons above the others, but there shall be other that have good experiences cheapers ones, so mostly is a personal and a hardware choice what determines the mems.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
If you can get your memory from Crucial, do it. I'd actually pay more for memory from them than anyone else.

Crucial = Micron Technology. Boise ID based memory / chip manufacturer. Memory made in the good ole' USA, and they test EVERY SINGLE CHIP. Most companies just do a 1% bin check - meaning they hope that 99% of their product is accurately represented by 1% of their tests.

I actually used to work for Micron Tech from '95 to '96. Great company! (until the stock market bombed, memory prices dropped through the floor and they let a lotta people go, but hey.. you gotta stay profitable, right?)

Back in 95-96, Micron's computers were outpacing all other computers at the same speed (their 133Mhz was faster than Gateway/Dell/HP/Compaq's 150Mhz machines). I'm sure part of it was due to their memory. While you may not see such a difference any more, I am a whole hearted supporter of any product of Micron (whether it be the memory or the computers).

BTW, from my experience, Kingston is cheap unreliable memory - Hell, CompUSSR sells it!

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 03-14-2000).]

Bounca

Unemployed Loser
Jan 18, 2000
Visit site
Thanks all

Roos ---> CompUSSR lol
They rank up there with Radio Shack

I think I'll go with Crucial

bullet2.gif

How bout a greazy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray!!!

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
Hey, Radio Shack is OK... for a laugh!

If it fits what you need, throw down the green. And Crucial is warranted for lifetime, with 30 days money back. Hell, I otta upgrade with those prices...

Glad I read this post. Good to learn something new. Kudos to Bounca and Rooster!

bullet2.gif

That'll learn ya!