PDA

View Full Version : Nice mod, but what's up with the steering?

Fife
6th Jun 2004, 12:03 AM
I know it's still in the beta stages, but I'm hoping you address this. The vehicles' steering is way to sensitive and I didn't see anything that would change that. The only thing that sort of helped was giving the vehicle a lot of weight, turning the tire grip up high, and turning to full understeer(which still doesn't act like understeer technically speaking). Also, will there be a brake sensitivity selection in the future? I found it hard to keep a constant speed around turns because the vehicles almost stop instantly. I think it would be cool if you could program a normal brake that gradually slows the vehicle down, and an e-brake tha locks all the tires instantly. I know this is probably tough stuff to do because the unreal engine wasn't built with racing simulations in mind. Just sharing my thoughts, keep up the great work.

Fife
6th Jun 2004, 12:14 AM
I just noticed that the vehicles seem to pivot torwards the front instead of the middle, maybe that why they steer the way they do.

Smokin
6th Jun 2004, 02:19 AM
The creators of the mod like the very very very very Arcade style of driving. I agree that the mod could do with a little tweaking on the driving Physics but thats my Opinion.
Unreal Speed mod is a more realistic driving mod but its only for Ut2003.

ProjectX
6th Jun 2004, 03:00 AM
The creators of the mod like the very very very very Arcade style of driving. I agree that the mod could do with a little tweaking on the driving Physics but thats my Opinion.
Unreal Speed mod is a more realistic driving mod but its only for Ut2003.

Persn'lly I like the steering physics, but this is not about what I like, in future we'll have to increase the power of the understeer function, oh and if you're using the Flair (Mclaren) F1 then expect a lot of oversteer on corners.

Smokin
6th Jun 2004, 03:26 AM
good to hear!

stevenhorton
6th Jun 2004, 04:46 PM
Are you steering while using the fixed rear camera? I have a harder time driving with the rear camera because a single tap on the arrow key turns the car too much. In the default camera mode the problem is much less pronounced.

Smokin
7th Jun 2004, 02:27 AM
If the default camera mode is the mode in which you need to use the mouse to keep the camera behind the car that just plain suxs, to hard to control the car and camera at the same time.

ProjectX
7th Jun 2004, 03:11 AM
If the default camera mode is the mode in which you need to use the mouse to keep the camera behind the car that just plain suxs, to hard to control the car and camera at the same time.

I find both modes quite easy to drive with, I must be used to it I guess

carmatic
7th Jun 2004, 11:22 AM
yeah that could be a danger of making mods, getting used to something originally unusual, then forcing other people to get used to it too....

ideally you guys should mimic the car in the 3dmark2001 full version as much as you can, that car has been tuned to suit as wide an audience as possible and has very good use of the physics engine... maybe it might be a limitation of unreal's physics engine like it was all designed for tanks and war machines and stuff,but maybe we can make alot of cpu-intensive client side simulation , which is then 'compressed' to something simpler like svehicles when you send it to the server and stuff... like, the skidding of sports cars, the behaviour of monster trucks at different terrain, etc etc...

oh by the way i bought a 'little tike' monster truck just now... i wonder if thats how i spell it, its made in the usa and has lots of smooth corners and looks very good in unwheel
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000ISCZ.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

ProjectX
7th Jun 2004, 12:20 PM
oh by the way i bought a 'little tike' monster truck just now... i wonder if thats how i spell it, its made in the usa and has lots of smooth corners and looks very good in unwheel
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000ISCZ.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

:lol:

carmatic
7th Jun 2004, 06:42 PM
awww maan at least it actually looks like something that fits somewhat in unwheel... think of the new skinning feature! it can have many many many different colours, and how easy it would be to model (sorry i dont have 3dmax or maya or whatever)
it fits in with the 'unreal' theme of things, imagine something like this going around on terminalvelocity or something...
hm does anyone know where can i get a hold of one of the virtualizer machines... or whatever theyre called... like it converts a real object into a 3d model, cuz that will be sooooo sweet because the shape of the truck is so simple
and if only i can bring one of you around to the toy warehouse i *just* found today... its got tons and tons of stuff like this in there! its all inspiration waiting to be uncovered...
last but not least, imagine, for once we all can have a vehicle with accurate polygonal collision detection without compromising performance!!!if its safe for babies, its safe for physics engines

Smokin
7th Jun 2004, 09:11 PM
If that trucks a Toy you are breaking some major IP rights as someone else designed the toys and you would be kicked out of the comp.

If it was a Community Vehicle and not made by the Unwheel team you should be right.

ProjectX
8th Jun 2004, 03:52 AM
If that trucks a Toy you are breaking some major IP rights as someone else designed the toys and you would be kicked out of the comp.

I'm sure we could use most of the basic design, of course we can't put the corporate logos on it, maybe Little Types?

carmatic
8th Jun 2004, 12:01 PM

hm then how did unwheel win the best vehicle , almost all of its vehicles are based on real life ones....
then again, a toy is specifially designed for its look, whereas a real vehicle is designed for functionality.... a real car manufacturer would get dissed if you start making axels and suspensions and stuff in your own factory based on their design, but a toy manufacturer would start to get worried if your 3d model even reminds them of their toy... hm
but then again this monster truck is a very generic design, with no telltale signs of it being a ford or toyota like the monster trucks already inside the mod...
also, if you go to that warehouse i was talking about you'll come across some really cool lookin cars ..buggies, trucks, space cars, military vehicles, post-apocalyptic stuff, etc etc... that probably dont even work and stuff but they look cool, and theyre made in china or something so not alot of chance your gonna get sued by them
i think this is the way unwheel should be, about childish vehicular fantasies coming alive...

by the way, just plugged my external hard disk into the public computer... now i am surpassing my profile limit of 4mb, to 80 gigabytes! unwheel beta 3 , here i come! epic winpatch, your mine! 3dbuzz tutorials, embrace my affection!

ProjectX
8th Jun 2004, 01:02 PM
hm then how did unwheel win the best vehicle , almost all of its vehicles are based on real life ones....
then again, a toy is specifially designed for its look, whereas a real vehicle is designed for functionality.... a real car manufacturer would get dissed if you start making axels and suspensions and stuff in your own factory based on their design, but a toy manufacturer would start to get worried if your 3d model even reminds them of their toy... hm
but then again this monster truck is a very generic design, with no telltale signs of it being a ford or toyota like the monster trucks already inside the mod...

You see as long as they're not pic perfect we can use em provided all barand names and logos are changed, same wit the toys.

carmatic
9th Jun 2004, 02:46 AM
awww maaaan cant get at the 3dbuzz videos... they got this stupid star system there ... dang.. wish i downloaded all the videos back while i could... dang dang dang...
now how am i gonna get 70 percent participation in my holidays alone, and still have time to finish a map... dang dang dang dang.... hm maybe i can order a dvd from them or something i dunno... dang dang dang dang dang

ProjectX
9th Jun 2004, 02:54 AM
awww maaaan cant get at the 3dbuzz videos... they got this stupid star system there ... dang.. wish i downloaded all the videos back while i could... dang dang dang...
now how am i gonna get 70 percent participation in my holidays alone, and still have time to finish a map... dang dang dang dang.... hm maybe i can order a dvd from them or something i dunno... dang dang dang dang dang

Try using the tutorials on http://wiki.beyondunreal.com start by searching "beginners guide to Unreal Ed" and then "your first room"

Diego1203
9th Jun 2004, 05:00 AM

They will send them to you on cd if you don't have broadband internet acess. I'm not sure how to order them because I was able to download, but they send them out on cd for free. If you can't get them ordered then start hanging around the 3Dbuzz forum, it's not that hard to get your star, just go there a couple times a day, you don't even have to post alot, just hang out and look around, you should be able to get your star within a few weeks, I got my star with less than 60 posts.

carmatic
9th Jun 2004, 05:20 AM
but a few weeks is too long, i wanna start NOOWWW!!! but hm anyway i'll just head back to my room and start looking at the 3dbuzz tutorials... i find that they go well with instant noodles... yummy
then i'll go back to the forums, then spam away at probably inaccurate information about what ive just learnt
and they cant call it spam because the letters are all different and they actually have meaning

::edit:: i downloaded like 4 of the videos awhile ago, i hope i havent deleted them...