PDA

View Full Version : People not being able to connect

Flak
4th Jun 2004, 01:01 PM
If people do not have jailbreak installed, they are unable to connect to my european server. I set it up exactly the same way as the US server, maybe I'm missing something? I'm running the updated version.

tarquin
5th Jun 2004, 03:43 AM
Did you follow the instructions on the JDN so unpatched clients can connect?

Flak
5th Jun 2004, 05:08 AM
No, and I just looked again, and read through the developer journal and I don't see anything. Could you please point me in the right direction? This is not only unpatched people, this is people who don't have JB installed. The only difference between my 2 servers is one is linux and one is windows. (that I can see anyway)

Sorry for being so blind and or stupid, but I just can't find it.

Sexmachine
5th Jun 2004, 07:16 AM
Tarquin is talking about these instructions to ensure unpatched clients can still join patched servers (http://mychaeel.no-ip.com/jailbreak/Server_Update). No idea if that'll help to fix your problem Flak but you should do it anyways. :)

Mychaeel
5th Jun 2004, 07:53 AM
Flak"]This is not only unpatched people, this is people who don't have JB installed. The only difference between my 2 servers is one is linux and one is windows. (that I can see anyway)
I'm not sure whether I understand what you're doing. Downloading several megabytes of Jailbreak content from your game server when joining it is probably not a good idea anway; if people want to play Jailbreak online, it'd be far better if they just downloaded and installed the whole mod locally to start with.

That is, unless you are talking about a server which is not running Jailbreak (but Deathmatch or Onslaught or whatever else) and you're saying that people cannot connect to that server without being required to download Jailbreak content from your server first.

If that's the problem, just remove the Jailbreak-related ServerPackages entries from your UT2004.ini.

Flak
5th Jun 2004, 10:46 AM
People join the US server no problem who don't have JB installed, of course they have a long download but they don't have trouble connecting.

I also run the same type of map vote server in europe, with several Sniper arena gametypes, DM, TDM and ONS and it's busy most of the day. I don't know 90% of the people who come to the server.
http://www.nbsnipers.com/eurostats/index.php?stats=players

I think that's a few too many people to notify to install JB. ;) I guess we just won't be putting it on that server :( Thanks anyway.

tarquin
5th Jun 2004, 11:30 AM
That is, unless you are talking about a server which is not running Jailbreak (but Deathmatch or Onslaught or whatever else) and you're saying that people cannot connect to that server without being required to download Jailbreak content from your server first.

If that's the problem, just remove the Jailbreak-related ServerPackages entries from your UT2004.ini.

Is this a bug?
It seems like sub-optimal behaviour that if I want to run a server that plays JB on Tuesdays and DDOM on Fridays, I have to change the INI file in between. :(

Sexmachine
5th Jun 2004, 11:34 AM
Nope that's not a bug, it's a limitation of UT in general ...

Wormbo
5th Jun 2004, 02:13 PM
You should be able to host just fine without those ServerPackages. The packages required by a map and by the gametype are automatically added to the package map IIRC and the add-ons are specially designed to do that as well.