How to dodge properly w/ joystick?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BtthR

|Nerv|BtthR|Buf
Feb 27, 2004
CA
I want to know if anyone knows of a way of setting up a alias or something to allow me when I press a button to start dodging in the direction I want with the stick?
Something like when I press joy 4 all movements are a dodge... :D

Now I know I'm a rare breed to use a stick with UT2K4 ...but I can't be the only one with this prob..? ;)

Thanx in advance for any help.

BtthR

|Nerv|BtthR|Buf
Feb 27, 2004
CA
C'mon...does anybody know of a good place for tutorials or walk thus for alias and binding that might help? :D

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
BtthR said:
C'mon...does anybody know of a good place for tutorials or walk thus for alias and binding that might help? :D

You can't bind dodging in the UT series. i would suggest learning how to do it w/ the joystick (ugh) or find some third party software that lets you make key binds through that. Maybe your joystick came with something like that or look at something like RBJoy (http://www.rbsoft.de/RB-Joy/rb-joy.html).

i tried this years ago when UT99 came out and quickly gave up and learned to use KB/mouse. i now have a n52 which is awesome - i don't miss js at all.

SmuvMoney

Mar 24, 2004
Chicago, IL
Unless the joystick you have has a very short throw distance, manually dodging will probably be very hard to do on reaction let alone an adrenaline powerup. If you have a CH Products joystick, you can map parts of the joystick axis to enter a dodge for you (direction - null - direction - null). This is available using their CH Control Manager software. In my case, the outer or furtherst edges of the X-Y axes are mapped to a dodge command. This also can be done by RBJoy as well if/when you learn how to use it. If you do choose to go manually, you will most probably have to increase the dodge click time to at least .5 and probably closer to 1 second.

BtthR

|Nerv|BtthR|Buf
Feb 27, 2004
CA
SmuvMoney said:
Unless the joystick you have has a very short throw distance, manually dodging will probably be very hard to do on reaction let alone an adrenaline powerup. If you have a CH Products joystick, you can map parts of the joystick axis to enter a dodge for you (direction - null - direction - null). This is available using their CH Control Manager software. In my case, the outer or furtherst edges of the X-Y axes are mapped to a dodge command. This also can be done by RBJoy as well if/when you learn how to use it. If you do choose to go manually, you will most probably have to increase the dodge click time to at least .5 and probably closer to 1 second.

I'm such a NooB sometimes....
I just thought about it and downloded the logitech profiler and am getting it to work by recording 2 right arrow keys to either the hat switch or the twist or rotate axis>>?!?!

I should have thought of this before. :rolleyes:

It's working but I just have to play with the dead zone settings or the sensitivity settings ...so I don't dodge too much and out of control :eek:
Thanks for the input all !!
:D

SmuvMoney

Mar 24, 2004
Chicago, IL
BtthR said:
I'm such a NooB sometimes....
I just thought about it and downloded the logitech profiler and am getting it to work by recording 2 right arrow keys to either the hat switch or the twist or rotate axis>>?!?!

I should have thought of this before. :rolleyes:

It's working but I just have to play with the dead zone settings or the sensitivity settings ...so I don't dodge too much and out of control :eek:
Thanks for the input all !!
:D

If the Logitech profiler supports it, try having the joystick dodge when you reach the other edge of each axis. It works great for me on my CH Fighterstick, but I don't know enough about Logitech's software to know if you can do that. FWIW, dodging that way is surprisingly easy and responsive.