Mouse or Trackball? Which ones?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
K

krypto

I hate to bring this up again, but I need a definative answer. At least a little help anyway. I dont know if ALL the different mouse optons have been discussed.

I went to get a new mouse today and left with nothing. I didn't have a very good plan. Any recommendations? I looked hard and the intelli-eye (?) and also looked at the cordless. I am even willing to switch to a trackball if someone can convince me. Although I'd rather try and use me left hand instead of my right from now on, I am willing to make the investment. Any help? Suggestions? Thanks

BeZerKeR

Feb 12, 2000
hometown.aol.com
I would go with a mouse over a trackball. I never used an optical mouse before so I can't help ya there... but i definitley suggest a mouse with the little roller/button thingie. makes weapon switching and stuff easy as pie.

bullet2.gif

"Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows... Nor do I."

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Why play with balls, when you can play with a mouse? /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

Seriously, a mouse is what I use and what I'd recommend to anyone. The Intellimouse Explorer (aka the laser mouse) rocks BTW.

bullet2.gif

Oh it's a CRACK pipe! So this isn't tobacco?

Harlock

Married And Always Nagged
Dec 11, 1999
Riverside, CA (USA)
maanclan.com
I started using a trackball, cuz it reminded me of my old arcade days *sigh*, but went out and purchased a Intellieye Explorer, and I will never go back to a trackball. First, your reaction speed is MUCH quicker with a mouse, and Second, you don't have to worry about holding down a button and trying to move the ball at the sametime (terribly uncomfortable.) Go with a Mouse.

bullet2.gif

Matsumoto[PuF]

"Nature has a way of eliminating stupid people... it's called [PuF]."

K

krypto

Alrighty then, it's been narrowed down to the intellieye explorer. So far so good. Thanks for the input. Anyone else care to offer their two cents?

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
Logitech Trackman Marble (NOT FX)
has laser guidence just like those nifty Micro Soft jobbies but works in perfect ergonomic simplicity

bullet2.gif

---Prof. Of Comic-Therory/Comedic-History

Beware the army of Giant Mutan Ninja Midgets!!!

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
Oh and you dont have to worry about holding a button and moving the ball at the same time... The ball is controlled with the thumb while the buttons and wheel are operated by the index, middle and ring finger.
Place your hand on your existing 3button mouse, take your thumb off the side and wave it around. That is the extent of the exertion you need to move the currsor/crosshair with one of those jobs. Plus you lift and move your thumb about .5 inch when you scroll too far, instead of picking up the mouse and moving it 5 or more inches when you hit the mousepad edge. That saved time can be a lifesaver!

The reason I switched was Warcraft II, I kept getting mousepad/burn on the heel of my hand. Now my game sessions can go indefinatly and no more dipping my hand in Ice-water after each game.

Viva-la-Trackball!!!!!

I will never mouse again!

bullet2.gif

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
Explorer OWNS!!!
its so smooth and easy to use
if your desk is clean, then dont even bother with a mouse pad

bullet2.gif

"I like this book because of its cover. This book sucks, the cover sucks." -XS

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
Move a mouse all you want. Me and my thumb are just gonna be over here and very happy.

(oh wait)

bullet2.gif

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Matsumoto said it; I'll Second it.

I had a very nice trackball that just didn't hold a candle to the IE optical mouse. And the Everglide mousepad with gel wristrest is a nice addition to that package.

The optical mouse gives you silky smooth movement and deadly accuracy, and it won't wear out. Also, the USB flavor gives you better refresh rates. I take mine back and forth to work! /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

This former trackball guy went IE mouse.

seeker

Mar 9, 2000
Visit site
Has anyone used or have the Razor Boomerslang? I'm considering getting one because they seem like they would rock for UT and other stuff. let me know. I'm looking to buy as well.

Necroth

Former WeeDHead
Mar 7, 2000
Visit site
i say go for the intellimouse or the logitec optical (i didn't know they had one), no more mouse cleaning, and perfect movement.

D66 is now the onlyone i'll know who uses a trackball (at least that i know off, not ment as offending d66, but really you'r the first, i did like a 1on1 once with d66, but maybe with enough practice is a trackball good playable, i tried, but didn't know how fast to get my mouse back.)

And that razorgadget thing, maybe's it's good, but the support of them s*ck, almost no drivers etc etc, all the ingredients of a failure, while maybe the product itself is good.

And weird but true, buy an everglide mousepad, never knew how mutch that could offer for gameplay, it's proberly the best thing i ever bought for 3d gaming.

bullet2.gif

BloW_Smoke = instaGOD

(o.k. a man needs to have dreams)

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
D66 knows his stuff. He covered about everything. I love my Trackman Marble+ USB. I'll never go back. Never, ever, tho it may save the world from total annihalation, I'll not use a mouse.

Maybe we're just smarter in DC?

bullet2.gif

"Where's the BACTINE?! Some of this blood is MINE!!" -- JTHM

I

ImagoX

Mouse, mouse, MOUSE... All the way. It's much easier IMHO to do the circle strafe with the good ol' rodent than the trackball. In fact, I tried using a 'ball for serveral days in my QII days, and after innumerable frags (others...NOT mine, sigh), I want back to the mouse.

I use the 3M "Precise Mousing Surface" BTW in place of the traditional foam mousepad. MUCH cleaner, totally flat and grips the mouse ball like a DREAM. Worth every penny of the $12 price- I even bought one for work... If you want to improve your frags go get one of tese beauties immediately- you will be glad you did.

-ImagoX

I

ImagoX

Mouse, mouse, MOUSE... All the way. It's much easier IMHO to do the circle strafe with the good ol' rodent than the trackball. In fact, I tried using a 'ball for serveral days in my QII days, and after innumerable frags (others...NOT mine, sigh), I want back to the mouse.

I use the 3M "Precise Mousing Surface" BTW in place of the traditional foam mousepad. MUCH cleaner, totally flat and grips the mouse ball like a DREAM. Worth every penny of the $12 price- I even bought one for work... If you want to improve your frags go get one of tese beauties immediately- you will be glad you did.

-ImagoX

bullet2.gif

"If you ever drop your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go because, man, they're gone."
-Jack Handey

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
Well I have to say I love my USb trackman marble.....

Hey Chryst and D66 have you tried binding a key to left or right turn, Hold it down and give the ball a hard spin....HEHEHEHEH you circle them about 5 times before they can respond...............

bullet2.gif

He Shoots..He Scores..He gets shot in the back.
new ingame name Yr2ESY Nguid 629493

K

krypto

Very good input indeed, thanks all. Well I bought the Intellieye. Very nice. (Do most of you use the thumb button to jump?) It is definitely a step up. However, there is one thing though that I do not like, and that is the fact that it is really hard to "pick up". Maybe it's just me but I didn't realize how much I picked the damn thing up off of the mousepad, especially flying the redeemer around. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif I guess in a way I'm still looking.
Sorry but no matter how much I wanna be a trackball guy, I take one look at those damn freaks of nature and tell myself there is no way I'll ever be able to master one of those things. It would be too much work and I dont have the energy. Hell, I can barely pick the mouse off the pad for crying out loud.

bullet2.gif

shhhh.......smell something?

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
The downside to the USB Trackman Marble is that screwy little wheel thingie. That is why I still have my 5year old ps2 version. I fear the wheel.
That and after 5 years of gaming the mouse is now molecularly bonded to my hand in a way that I will die If I do not exchange base chemicals with it once a day for 2 hours minimum
At least thats what I tell my girlfriend.

bullet2.gif