PDA

View Full Version : Do umods work for you?

Al[Demiurge]
2nd Jun 2004, 10:15 AM
We're putting together a real installer for the mod and are debating if we should go with the so-called "umod" style distribution. I thought I'd conduct a quick, informal poll here. Do people like downloading mods using the "umod" system, do they work for you? Which if these do you like best:

1. UMods (.ut4mod files)
2. Zip-files
3. Traditional installer (installshield or whatever)

Thanks for your feedback!
Al

tgranholm
2nd Jun 2004, 12:22 PM
I like Zip-files. I extract them to my "UT2004Mods&Mutators\mod/mut name" folder and copy-paste files from there to the directories they go manually to make sure nothing is overwritten.

If I ever want to uninstall a mod/mut I can easily check the "UT2004Mods&Mutators" folder to see which files belonged to the mod/mut so I don't destroy any wrong files.

I know it may not be the best way to do it and not many mods overwrite files, but I like to play it safe.

I don't mean I wouldn't use a Umod installer if you made one, but I would prefer an alternative Zip-file, if possible.

But, if most want Umods then I'll use them, no problem.

JaFO
2nd Jun 2004, 12:41 PM
.ut4mods work ... they just need to be tested properly on a 'clean machine' (= a pc with just UT2k4 and no mods) before release (*).

However considering the new directory-structure for total-conversions in UT2k4 a .zip-file would be acceptable as well.

A real 'windows-only' installer should be avoided at any cost, simply because it stops the Mac- & Linux-users from being able to download & play your mod.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com has enough info for people to solve any problems with the .umod-system should they appear.

(*) in an ideal situation you'd have to test each install-package on multiple platforms as well a patched & unpatched UT2k4 ...

Seymour Gibbs
3rd Jun 2004, 10:55 AM
I like umods best - they're fast and allow you to easily uninstall components if you need to upgrade or reinstall.

But don't forget, only a .zip version will make server admins happy because of the bare-bones nature of the dedicated server install.

fishdonuts
9th Jun 2004, 05:53 AM
Just do what everyone else does, and go with Umods, with a ZIP version as well*. Just make sure you code the Umod correctly, or it really screws up the game bad. And don't use a Win32 installer- many people have Linux and MacOS!

*for server admins, and anyone who hates Umods.