PDA

View Full Version : Gametype Idea: Drone Strike

[CD]Icedude
1st Jun 2004, 10:55 AM
Before you make any "Oh god, not another RTS mod idea", this only has SOME elements of RTS.

This gametype would have the same goal as Onslaught's; Destroy the enemy powercore. But in this gametype there would be a twist:

The players cannot damage the powercore :eek:

Instead, the players have to build drone vehicles to send at the enemy base. These drone vehicles cost credits, which are earned by 'capturing' turrets, killing enemy drones, and killing enemy players.

There are lots of deactivated, neutral autoturrets around the map, and as i said, capturing them earns you points. To capture a turret, you just blow it up, and it respawns faithful to your team. You can also capture enemy turrets the same way.

Once you have enough credits, you can run back to base and buy the drone vehicles by using the labeled button next to the garage/spawn-pad/whatever. The available vehicles are:

Tank
This small hovertank is the standard attack vehicle, costing only 10 credits. They carry the standard armament of two Anti-Air/Anti-Infantry lasers. It moves slightly slower than a player, and has only about 300 health.

Hovercopter
This is the second best choice for attacks, costing 20 credits each. These guys fly over most obstacles, and move a bit faster than the player. They carry the standard armament, but only has 200 health.

Dreadnaught
NOW we're talking, this baby is the ultimate ground attack vehicle. It is a larger hovertank that moves slower than the regular tank, and has a whopping 800 points of health. They come equipped with the standard armament, but also two plasma launchers, which are easily capable of fragging a freshly spawned player. Unfortunately, to balance this out, these guys cost 100 credits

Harpy
The ultimate in air superiority, the Harpy is to the Hovercopter as the Dreadnaught is to the tank. It moves at the same speed as the tank, and has 600 health. It carries the standard armament, but is the only vehicle that cannot rotate the laser turret to fire sideays, but alse has two homing rocket pods, one of these rockets does half as much damage as the dreadnaught's plasma cannons, but it fires almost twice as fast. These are also expensive, clocking in at 70 credits.

Once you build a unit, it automatically heads off towards the enemy's powercore along a random route, never stopping untill it gets there (unless it bashes into another vehicle, or gets stuck behind a slower vehicle), and attacks any enemy it comes across. This leaves the player free to defend their base from the enemy's onslaught of land and air vehicles.

In some levels there may also be neutal tank & hovercopter spawns in no-man's land, which can be controlled by 'capturing' the nearby satellite dish the same way as a turret.

The different amounts of credits you earn for blowing things up is as follows:

Turrets - 10 credits
Players - 10 credits
Tanks - 10 credits
Capturable spawns - 20 credits
Hovercopters - 10 credits
Dreadnaughts - 80 credits
Harpies - 50 credits

Credits can also be obtained through 10/20/50/100 credit pickups that can randomly spawn on the map.

The vehicles are the only way to destroy the enemy's powercore, so it's highly advised to constantly look to take down enemy forces (be they player, drone or turret) to increase your own.

What do you think? :)

[Edit] Added some things I forgot

8-4-7-2
1st Jun 2004, 12:59 PM
[ insert random, witty comment here ]

dg945
1st Jun 2004, 01:23 PM
I think it's a good idea. Would you be able to control the path they go in? Or would you just be able to watch them via camera screen in the top lefthand corner? Again, a great idea.

[CD]Icedude
1st Jun 2004, 01:34 PM
I think it's a good idea. Would you be able to control the path they go in? Or would you just be able to watch them via camera screen in the top lefthand corner? Again, a great idea.

You'd have no control over the drones at all, so you don't choose the paths. Maybe have them show up on a minimap like in ONS?

Or just leave them to do their own buisness, not knowing where they are :)

[EDIT] Concept Models! On a wallpaper! :) (http://fraghouse.beyondunreal.com/screenshots/wallpaper/dronestrikeconcept.jpg)

Radiosity
1st Jun 2004, 02:26 PM
IceDude......are you some sort of frickin' mind reader?! :lol:

Seriously, I know exactly where you got that little bit of inspriation from (a fantastic game called futurecop possibly ;) ) and I had the idea to make a mod based roughly on it as well. I was thinking of going with a single player option as well and actually having the big stompy mech/ hovercraft as well :D Man I love that game \o/

I'm hella up for this if we can get a start made on it (in between FHINV o'course) :tup:

[CD]Icedude
1st Jun 2004, 03:01 PM
Icedude......are you some sort of frickin' mind reader?! :lol:

Seriously, I know exactly where you got that little bit of inspriation from (a fantastic game called futurecop possibly ;) ) and I had the idea to make a mod based roughly on it as well. I was thinking of going with a single player option as well and actually having the big stompy mech/ hovercraft as well :D Man I love that game \o/

I'm hella up for this if we can get a start made on it (in between FHINV o'course) :tup:

you win the cookie :)

yes, i did get a significant bit of inspiration from that most awesome (and under-apresiacted) game. I can't remember much about it though, since it's been ages since i lost the CD :(

I'm ready to begin making maps the moment parse says the project is go... maybe after FHI v3 eh? :)

Radiosity
1st Jun 2004, 04:25 PM
*eats the cookie

Mmm, chocolate :)

I'd have to agree that Futurecop was very underrated - the graphics and particle effects are still stunning even now, and it was released in - I think - 1995, or possibly 96 :eek: Totally kickass game. We'd have to make a couple of maps that 'borrow' their inspiration from the game, just for that oldskool feeling amongst us few who remember the it :)

Incidentally, I have the game for the pc still \o/

edit - since you don't remember too much about it, I'll point out that the choppers were used exclusively for base defence against the tanks. Flying Fortress was as well, but had a much bigger range and would cover most of the central areas of the map as well as the base.

Radiosity
1st Jun 2004, 04:31 PM
To capture a turret, you just blow it up, and it respawns faithful to your team. You can also capture enemy turrets the same way.

Remember the 'ActionButton' ? It's used to capture neutral turrets. You only needed to blow them up if your opponent had already claimed the turret.

[CD]Icedude
1st Jun 2004, 04:37 PM
well that clear a few things up, i thought i'd never seen helis attacking my base :)

i think having the air units attack the enemy as well, you add a bit of variation for the defenders (perhaps anti-air turrets near the base?)

also, destroying the turrets to claim them just feels more UT-ey :)

Radiosity
1st Jun 2004, 05:24 PM
Well, we don't want it identical do we :) And blowing stuff up is always good, regardless of whether it's necessary or not :D

[CD]Icedude
2nd Jun 2004, 04:46 AM
We could also always include the mode against "Zeus" (formerly known as "Sky Captain") :)

Seeing as he's going be up against a team of people, not just one person, he's gonna have to be very powerful, possibly 2000 health and more firepower than a leviathan, and possibly even have two turrets that can switch between UT2k4 weaponry.

He'd be able to activate his buying things remotely, and blowing him up would get you 300 credits :)

Oh yeah, we'd have to include the spine-chilling taunts like the origional had :D

Radiosity
2nd Jun 2004, 12:54 PM
"You think that will help you?!"
"I live again!"
"Hehehehe.....Oops"

Oh yes, custom tauntage will indeed be necessary :D

[CD]Icedude
22nd Jun 2004, 02:39 PM
Well according to Parser, this idea is now officially under production ^_^

Radiosity
22nd Jun 2004, 03:09 PM
Hehe, love the new avatar Ice :)

SkyCaptain, a lethal combination of smarts, intelligence and... so on, I forgot the rest :o

[CD]Icedude
23rd Jun 2004, 07:45 AM
Smarts and firepower :)

Anyways, here's some screenies of a map for DS i've been working on called Downtown Alpha. This is an overview of most of the level before i put the bases in:

http://fraghouse.beyondunreal.com/team/icedude/DS-DowntownAlpha.jpg

And here's one of the bases:

http://fraghouse.beyondunreal.com/team/icedude/DS-DowntownAlphaBase.jpg

T-1
30th Jun 2004, 02:11 PM
You could make the drones 'possessable' so normally the AI drives them, but you can drive it too if you think your smarter. The main problem with this could be if you drive into an area that has no pathnodes and get out of the drone then the AI could get confused. Also manta-style hoverdrones would be cool too. No reason to make it too similar to Futurecop. Hmmm. Another idea: make a more powerful version of the ONSGrenadeLauncher. Attach grenades to attacking tank. Watch from the distance, then detonate. And you could make all kinds of different types of turrets. You could also use the invasion monsters as drones...

[CD]Icedude
1st Jul 2004, 11:15 AM
You could make the drones 'possessable' so normally the AI drives them, but you can drive it too if you think your smarter.

Its a nice idea, but the main gimmick of the mod is that you can't controll them, so it wouldnt really work out that well

You could also use the invasion monsters as drones...

Also a nice idea, maybe this could be done with a mutator? :)

Moofis
21st Aug 2004, 07:50 AM
Someone wrote (forgot)
You could also use the invasion monsters as drones...

Maybe possible i know there can be player owned monster in utrpg2004 but directing them to go there is another deal.

[CD]Icedude
26th Sep 2004, 01:22 PM
List of stuff that would need coding, as parser asked for on irc (may or may not be an actual list of all things, i know nothing about coding, so more actors may be needed)

Gametype
Powercores
Land Unit Spawn
Air Unit Spawn
Hovertank unit & weapons
Dreadnaught unit & weapons
Hovercopter unit & weapons
Flying Fortress unit (called Harpy in earlier posts) & weapons
Drone Turrets
Base Drone Turrets (can't be captured. possibly just an option for normal turrets)
Bot AI
Drone-only volume (you can't set blockingvolumes to only allow one kind of actor into them :( )
Outpost sattelite dish (used for catupring outpost)
Outpost land unit spawn
Outpost air unit spawn
Outpost spawn triggers (might not be needed, if the unit spawns check the team of the triggerer)

And if we add the 'coop' mode i meantioned in a post further down:

Sky Captain/Zeus unit & weapons
Sky Captain/Zeus spawn point (for setting up what events the unit needs to trigger to spawn units)

i think that might be it

And therefore we'd need modelling:

Hovertank (& seperate turret peice?)
Dreadnaught (& seperate turret peice?)
Hovercopter (& seperate turret peice?)
Flying Fortress (& seperate turret peice?)
Sky Captain/Zeus (& seperate turret peices?)
Base drone turret
Neutral drone turret

Edit: more stuff & modelling

Wookiee
26th Sep 2004, 02:43 PM
Man I want to see this come together, sounds like an awesome gametype :) I also really like mods/gametypes that allow for more than the 32 player limit by making AI-controlled 'characters'. This looks really cool.

LEDx0rz
28th Sep 2004, 08:50 PM
This one sounds like it would be a monster to code, not that i'm trying to discourage you or anything ;) ,but then again i know nothing about coding :eek: ,but i have one thing to say

:eek: :eek: CAN'T WAIT FOR RELEASE :eek: :eek:

[CD]Icedude
27th Nov 2004, 05:42 PM
Well duders, Parser said that as long as I did a map for FHIv4, we'd get started on this after FHIv4 is released. This calls for partying, and topic pinning :)

[CD]Icedude
3rd Dec 2004, 06:54 PM
Rad rocks :clap:

http://fraghouse.beyondunreal.com/screenshots/airdronethumb.jpg (http://fraghouse.beyondunreal.com/screenshots/airdrone01.jpg )

One Aircraft drone :D

EDIT: And one tank drone :D

http://fraghouse.beyondunreal.com/screenshots/attackdronethumb.jpg (http://fraghouse.beyondunreal.com/screenshots/attackdrone01.jpg )

FluXs
5th Dec 2004, 06:38 PM
hey

i know where ive seen this...

Future Cop LAPD for the PSX :P

You both have a base and CPs which have big guns. For holding them you can build tanks. choppers or super tanks which then leave your base and head for the enemy base to blow the base up.

If I remember, you yourself cannot get to the enemy base to destroy it so you have to defend your tanks heading to it, or defend your base from the enemy tanks.

Is that where your idea came from? as i remember playing that. In fact that was the best ever game in the world for a MP mode.

Edit:

woo. found a pic of you buying tanks to attack enemy base. (Now those are 1337 gfx)

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/original/987913332-00.jpg

some more pics here if you need any

http://www.mobygames.com/game/shots/gameId,3628/

FluXs
5th Dec 2004, 06:53 PM
Icedude']Oh yeah, we'd have to include the spine-chilling taunts like the origional had :D

Death from [deep voice]aboveeeeeee[/deep voice]!

I LIVE... AGGAAAAIN!

classic... :)

Radiosity
5th Dec 2004, 07:20 PM
FluXs gets the cookie :) Yes, it's based on the precinct assault mode from futurecop, one of my 3 top games (the other two being 2K4 obviously, and Warzone2100).

And just to whet your whistles a little more, here's a high resolution (1600x1200) render of 3 tanks and 3 copters:

http://www.radiant-studios.net/junk/dronescene01.jpg

-{SC}- Renamon
11th Dec 2004, 12:15 AM
COOLIE :eek: .

RabidZombie
14th Dec 2004, 01:15 PM
:eek: I never thought something like this would be turned into a mod... but hell, its guna be good. Although not my fav gamre, it was VERy fun, i enjoyed it alot. Main strategy, get a hell huge tank, make lots of smaller ones, follow the biggen, blow enimys turrets, win

Radiosity
14th Dec 2004, 02:26 PM
And some more renders to give you an idea of how they look from different angles:

http://www.radiant-studios.net/images/newsimages/dronescene01.jpg
http://www.radiant-studios.net/images/newsimages/dronescene02.jpg
http://www.radiant-studios.net/images/newsimages/dronescene03.jpg
http://www.radiant-studios.net/images/newsimages/dronescene04.jpg

W1nt3rmut3
7th Jan 2005, 06:25 AM
Awesome :eek: (Nothing more to say)

Tentacle
23rd Jan 2005, 05:44 AM
Where's the battlecruiser drone? WHERE IS IT? EH? TELL ME THAT!

T-1
23rd Jan 2005, 11:18 AM
How about these additions to the old tried and true Drone things:
Hoverdrone (costs 1 thingy):
Much faster than the Tank drone but has less health. Same or similar attack.
Shield drone (costs 2 thingys):
Like the tank but it has no attack abilities. Instead it has a shield like the Paladin.
Super hoverdrone (pending name change) (costs 50 thingys):
Basically a hovercraft version of the Dreadnaught.

[CD]Icedude
22nd Feb 2005, 05:22 AM
By the way, I'm hereby allowing the constant bugging of Parser to start on this for real, but only after FHIv4 comes out :)

Ghost3021
22nd Feb 2005, 10:31 PM
FHI4!
FHI4!
FHI4!
SING IT WITH ME FELLAS! THIS LOOKS SO AWSOME!
i think a good adition would be those portable forcefields from U2, those things kick @55 ;), but of course its just a stupid crazy idea.

lvlorpheus
23rd Feb 2005, 05:36 PM
Witty comment to bug Parser about Drone Strike!

Steelixx
10th Apr 2005, 07:17 AM
hehe nice :)

Mimiked
3rd Jun 2005, 06:09 PM
Sounds like a neat idea, although the last reply is quite old though.

So, has there acually been progress, ever since the last update?

Steelixx
4th Jun 2005, 05:45 AM
Can't wait for the release.