staticmesh lighting problem (they have none!)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pospi

Jun 30, 2003
www.pospi.cjb.net
Hey everyone,

I'm having big problems getting any lighting on staticmeshes at all ingame.

I import them from lightwave objects, drop them in the level and add lights, and everything shows up fine in the editor.

When i take them ingame however, I can't see any lighting on them, they're just entirely black. The BSP around them recieves light fine.

I've tried fiddling with everything but i can't work out what I am doing wrong here. The meshes show up in wireframe mode so at least they are still there.

I'm guessing the problem is something to do with maybe them being nonsolid, or being too large / detailed, or not caching meshes or textures properly... but im just guessing.

Can anyone help me with this please?
cheers!

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Not really sure about your problem, but rebuilding everything when you change one thing is wasting a lot of time. Once you get the BSP geometry how you want it, you can build only lights when you're working on them. Same for paths. No reason to build all if you're moving a light 32 units to the right is there? Especially once you get the level all pathnoded out... If you hit build all every time, you're going to have to wait for the path to be built for every little change you make.

pospi

Jun 30, 2003
www.pospi.cjb.net
yeah thats true, but i havent even got that far yet. meh, i am pretty sure its a problem with the staticmesh face limit or something like that. ill work it out.

SylverFyre

Spongebob Squarepants
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.byut.net
u havent got SM verts buried in geometry have u?

also, check its properties, Im sure theres an option somewhere that tells the engine whether or not to light an object, it might be set to false by mistake ?