PDA

View Full Version : Nice Promo Video ProjectX

jerdaygo
29th May 2004, 10:53 AM
Hey project X do you have a higher quality version of the video that could be encoded into divx? Because the pixilation on your metro map makes it so I can barely see it and you know I like that map :D Just a thought, :D Nice job on vid :D

ProjectX
29th May 2004, 11:13 AM
Hey project X do you have a higher quality version of the video that could be encoded into divx? Because the pixilation on your metro map makes it so I can barely see it and you know I like that map :D Just a thought, :D Nice job on vid :D

sadly the pixelation is the fault of gamecam (http://planetgamecam.com) and I had it on the highest quality setting so it can't get better.

I'm glad you liked it :D

jerdaygo
29th May 2004, 11:29 AM
sadly the pixelation is the fault of gamecam (http://planetgamecam.com) and I had it on the highest quality setting so it can't get better.

I'm glad you liked it :D

Have you tried recording it as a demo in unreal itself, then converting to a avi?
never done this myself but i have heard of people doing it, I think Diego1203 might know how to do it.

jerdaygo
29th May 2004, 11:41 AM
O yeah I forgot there is a program called fraps (http://www.fraps.com/) that does a nice job of captureing game video, i think it captures at 1024 X 768 (the free one does 640 X 480) .

ProjectX
29th May 2004, 05:06 PM
O yeah I forgot there is a program called fraps (http://www.fraps.com/) that does a nice job of captureing game video, i think it captures at 1024 X 768 (the free one does 640 X 480) .

Game Cam is free at 640x480 and it would take ages to get it all done again, sorry mate. Maybe you could have a go at an ultra hi-res one?

jerdaygo
29th May 2004, 05:15 PM
Thats cool :) , just an Idea, the vid is cool as is :)

hey maybe after the phase 3 version is finnished we could make a video with the newest code, and make a trailer of some sort, just use the best video clips from many different people, might be fun, maybe even make a community video, ask people who like UnWheel a bunch to show us some videos of cool stuff they have done, just an idea really, I like watching videos of cool stuff people have done, like some of those videos of amazing shots and cool tricks people have done in unreal, love to watch that cool stuff i could never do.

UltraNew-B
29th May 2004, 09:18 PM
Fraps is decent indeed !! I have used it a few times myself.

Where is this video anyway?

jerdaygo
29th May 2004, 10:52 PM
http://download.beyondunreal.com/browse.php?dir=unwheel/movies/

From the Unwheel Home page

Smokin
30th May 2004, 01:50 AM
I have Fraps 99 It can take fullscreen 1024x768 video up to 30 FPS and also can capture sound. The Video file it makes is uncompressed and looks just like your playing the game very high quality. Virtual Dub is needed for compressing the videos but it is very easy to use. It takes about 10 to 20 frames a sec off my frame rate when recording.

stevenhorton
30th May 2004, 09:51 AM
ProjectX, I was impressed:D Your promo was very well done, with the exception of game video quality. I also liked your maps:) Good effort.

ProjectX
30th May 2004, 10:08 AM
ProjectX, I was impressed:D Your promo was very well done, with the exception of game video quality. I also liked your maps:) Good effort.

LOL LOL LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I made it using Windows Movie Maker! It's an addon to basic XP, like paint!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

stephen_casey_1964
30th May 2004, 06:53 PM
Amazing amount of content. When the 2004 version is ready I'll download it immediatly. Anychance of force feedback? Longshot I would imagine. Either way it looks like a blast. The vid gave us a taste.

carmatic
30th May 2004, 07:52 PM
yeah like touchsense would be... nice i guess

just a suggestion... since fraps is gonna be like cutting your fps down to pieces, maybe you can set the game speed in game to 50 percent, take a footage that is exactly twice as long as you want it to be at the end... and you know , once youve gotten the video , use something to speed it up again, makes it look all hyped up and impressive and so people can actually see the wheels spin... dunno anything about the sound tho, maybe for a mod like this the promo can just be music

ProjectX
31st May 2004, 05:30 AM
yeah like touchsense would be... nice i guess

just a suggestion... since fraps is gonna be like cutting your fps down to pieces, maybe you can set the game speed in game to 50 percent, take a footage that is exactly twice as long as you want it to be at the end... and you know , once youve gotten the video , use something to speed it up again, makes it look all hyped up and impressive and so people can actually see the wheels spin... dunno anything about the sound tho, maybe for a mod like this the promo can just be music

Don't worry, the vid only used music and no ingame sounds.

Smokin
31st May 2004, 05:57 AM
I was able to make 20fps video clip which dosnt look chopy on my system using my Geforce3 with sound. the reason for the drop in speed would most likly come from the High quality video resul.(Fraps)

carmatic
31st May 2004, 10:44 AM
hm what is the fps of divx videos... what happens if you make the video 100 fps from the 20fps video, and make the game speed 20% ... will the divx kind of blur between the frames and make it look really really nice?

jerdaygo
31st May 2004, 12:26 PM
hm what is the fps of divx videos... what happens if you make the video 100 fps from the 20fps video, and make the game speed 20% ... will the divx kind of blur between the frames and make it look really really nice?
My frame rate doesnt drop that much, smokin did say he was using a Geforce3, thats a pretty old card, shoot my card is old and I have a Radeon 9500, but i can capture at 30 fps looks good too, and doctor divx does a great job encoding.

carmatic
31st May 2004, 02:44 PM
yeah but it will still make it look somewhat nicer than what the promo video looked like

ah heck i got fraps myself , and i remember getting virtualdub from somewhere... maybe i'll just shoot myself doing 3 laps on my favourite track....in slow motion.... boy its gonna take a lotta disk space, and i got the problem of like, i dun even kno how to edit something to make it speed up

oh on that matter, maybe unwheel can benefit from the invention of a new type of actor... like , a camera actor which is responsible for non-player purposes, someone plays a race from end to end, which is recorded, and either the map autor or other people can specify the positions of cameras and the sequence of switching between cameras... which would be cool... is it difficult to implement?

jerdaygo
31st May 2004, 05:19 PM
yeah but it will still make it look somewhat nicer than what the promo video looked like

ah heck i got fraps myself , and i remember getting virtualdub from somewhere... maybe i'll just shoot myself doing 3 laps on my favourite track....in slow motion.... boy its gonna take a lotta disk space, and i got the problem of like, i dun even kno how to edit something to make it speed up

oh on that matter, maybe unwheel can benefit from the invention of a new type of actor... like , a camera actor which is responsible for non-player purposes, someone plays a race from end to end, which is recorded, and either the map autor or other people can specify the positions of cameras and the sequence of switching between cameras... which would be cool... is it difficult to implement?

You can basically do that if you record a demo in unreal itself, once you have recorded the demo you can seperate from the character view and move the camera independently, then do a cut and paste in a video editor to give the illusion of mulitple cameras.
Or so I have read, havent tried it yet :)

carmatic
31st May 2004, 05:48 PM
can i record in unreal? how? that would be soooo cool.... just one step closer to making my dream video.... my video card's a 9800xt , but i think the cpu would be slowed down because its just a athlon xp 3000 overclocked a little... so i plan to get 30fps constant , play at half speed, and then speed it up 2x to get a 60fps video stream...
does anyone know how to speed video up?

Smokin
31st May 2004, 08:01 PM
Most people wont reaconise video at 20fps it still looks fine as Cartoons are done at around 22 or 25 FPS. The good thing about fraps is the quality, It captures video at a full uncompressed video stream so it ends up looking like it did when yopur playing the game. You should then use Virtual Dub to encode the video to save file space. I had a problem with Windows movie maker in which it encodes the video to a windows media file which has **** video quality.

jerdaygo
31st May 2004, 10:25 PM
To record a demo type demorec in the console then type stopdemo to stop recording.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=385195&highlight=record+demo

carmatic
1st Jun 2004, 07:33 PM
perhaps i can just use some plain old video editing proggys to alter the speed of the video...

hm also i think that the default 'spectator cam' that you get by using a normal record mode is not going to be good for cinematic purposes such as shooting a video... plus it looks ugly...

maybe a camera that moves/tracks the car/switch positions by itself? like all sorts of scenic and exciting views in the level... plus we get to use a destruction derby - style replay system where we can specify the locations of the camera at different times and it smoothly moves between them, with an added 'break' option that teleports the camera to another location