UT and 3D sound

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phaethar

Mar 10, 2000
Visit site
I have UT 405, and have a Diamond MX300 Vortex2 sound card. I just downloaded the new drivers that add EAX support, and figured I'd try them since A3D adds so much overhead. It sounds really good, until the action starts. Then, all explosions are WAY louder than all other sounds, even if I turn sound effects down in preferences and adjust my sound levels in windows. I'd like to get this working for the reverb and other goodies, since I've never had good luck with A3D and unreal. It always has so much popping in the background. Here is some relevant system info:
Athlon 650
256 MB PC 100 SDRAM
3Dfx Voodoo3 3500
Diamond MX300 PCI sound card

I have all the newest drivers for these cards. Any ideas?

C

CrapMonger

Wait, are you talking about A3D sound or surround sound??

I never use surround sound because when im walking and firing the effects sound like they're coming from behind...

I ALWAYS use A3D sound tho, that is the best sound effects that i have ever heard, including echos in caves, etc...

I dont see what the problem is tho, the explosions are supposed to be louder than the regular effects, you cant configure only the Rocket's sound, but you can configure the sound effects and the music...

bullet2.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>"Opinions are like @ssholes, everybody's got one and most people don't care what anybody else's looks like."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
DSL- Coming to Mike's Computer VERY soon

Phaethar

Mar 10, 2000
Visit site
I'm not using surround, just quad speaker output. I know explosions and such are meant to be louder, but these are so loud that they are distorting. They speakers are not, sounds more like when the gain is up too high. I was just wondering if this was an issue with the new EAX support with the vortex2 cards. Any idea why I could be getting so much popping when A3D is enabled? This happened in Unreal too, but doesn't happen in other games.. strange.

sascha ullrich

Mar 11, 2000
germany
Visit site
i have the same problems using eax.
popping sound while viewing the intro.
my config:
amd k6-iii-400mhz, 256 mb
epox board mvp3g5
geforce anhihi .. somewhat pro /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
sblive 1024 player
ut 4.05b
i get this popping sound with a sb 128pci, too, as well as with a terratex dmx. the saem using my good old viper550 agp
i guess that is a via-chipset-agp problem.
creative support sucks, epox is out of knowledge, too.
so, is there anybody out there, using a comparable equipment and having NO troubles with direct sound and eax, and the intro of unreal is sounding fine???
please mail me, call me or do somewhat to let me know how to manage this.
the last 48 hours of installing driver changing and so one have disturbed me.
many thanx in advance
maybe that hint - when working - is worth a bottle of fine wine or jim beam /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif)))
greeting from germany
rainbow warrior alias sascha