VERY odd lag problem: Not the lag you're thinking of...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Ok here's my problem: Whenever I start up a game in any mode, (Single Player, Instant Action, Multiplayer, LAN, etc etc.) It lags. I don't mean the kind of lag like in multiplayer where everything freezes, and then all of a sudden you're moving toward someplace you wanted to move 5 seconds ago. (LOL) But what my problem is that very frequently, but not consistently EVERY second, just happens every few seconds, randomly, if I move ONLY move forward one specified direction, such as only strafe left, only strafe right, or only move forward, or only move backword, and then try to aim with my mouse, or any keyboard command for looking around, I will keep moving the direction I specified, and then seconds later, my view changes to the direction that I moved my mouse to. This happens not as a "Always happens when I aim with the mouse", it happens very frequently, and if I had cable internet, I would post a video of this odd issue.

My system specs:
Pentium 4 Processor 1.8 GHz (Weak)
Dell integrated motherboard (****; it only supports 4x AGP)
Gainward FX5200 128 MB 8X AGP (runs at 4x ONLY b/c of my ****ing motherboard)
52X CD-ROM
256 MB of RAM 400MhZ
Integrated Sound on my motherboard 2 channel only

Somebody PLEASE Help!

captainrad

admiral spock!
Feb 15, 2004
ram is one key, even 512 has its troubles i recommend 1gig..

welcome to buf by the way!

Shambler[sixpack]

May 3, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
I have roughly 700mb of RAM and when I play Unreal it only used up about 20% (as opposed to 10% normal running) even with pre-load all skins on.
I don't think ram is too much of a problem here?

What quality settings have you got set? My experience here with my 1gig + GF4 is that I lose out on graphics quality because my processor isn't fast enough to let the graphics card run at any decent speed.

BeMyMonkey

Village Idiot
Apr 16, 2004
canadiansushi.surf.to
[Sixpack]-Shambler- said:
I have roughly 700mb of RAM and when I play Unreal it only used up about 20% (as opposed to 10% normal running) even with pre-load all skins on.
I don't think ram is too much of a problem here?

What quality settings have you got set? My experience here with my 1gig + GF4 is that I lose out on graphics quality because my processor isn't fast enough to let the graphics card run at any decent speed.

actually... on lowest settings ut2004 seems to require about 200-300 mb of ram... provided your graphics card's memory is large enough to provide storage for the textures...

i have a gig of ram and when i play ut it's about 60% full as opposed to 20% full before starting the game...

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
BeMyMonkey said:
actually... on lowest settings ut2004 seems to require about 200-300 mb of ram... provided your graphics card's memory is large enough to provide storage for the textures...

i have a gig of ram and when i play ut it's about 60% full as opposed to 20% full before starting the game...

No, it's not a sticky key, and BeMyMonkey, you are right, I do not think it's a RAM problem, I think it's a SpeechRedist problem.

If I uninstall SpeechRedist, then the problem disappears, but then I can't talk to bots! :mad: :(

I want to play Unreal Tournament 2004 with bots that I can talk to, because that greatly enhances teamwork.

It's not game lag, it's my mouse not moving when it's supposed to WHILE i'm still moving forward...

It doesn't matter at what graphics level I set the game to; it will have the same EXACT lag that it had before.

And believe it or not, my FPS is at 58, average (When I'm deep into combat), 65 tops, (When I'm not moving my mouse and nothing's moving on the screen)
I don't think it's an FPS problem.

Is SpeechRedist interfering with my game so that i can't even move my mouse at the time that i want it to?

Poo, I hate this.

Stigmata

Codepunk
Jan 31, 2004
The Sprawl
neilthecellist said:
no DUH! I already did that.
Not exactly the best way to respond to someone who is trying to help you. We don't know what exactly you've done to remedy your problem, and sometimes the most obvious answer is the solution. Since your system is not high-end, I would also recommend (if you have not already done so) defregging your hard drive. Also, my friend taught me how to write a batch file that does this automatically, right click on My Computer, then Manage > Services and Applications > Services - here you can close down non-critical services like your printer spooler and any servers you might be running. This is an advanced system tool, so be warned. However, I freed up 100MB of memory and there was a significantly noticeable performance increase in my game (2.8Ghz/512 400Mhz DDR/Radeon 9800 Pro). The batch file i mentioned really just allows me to turn off all of those services by clicking on an icon. (anyone interesting in learning how to write this batch, btw, PM me and I'll tell you - it's simple and very useful, regardless of how powerful your system is!)

DDRRE

Flesh is a design flaw.
Feb 13, 2004
Israel
shoutanenjeru said:
I have 256 and I hardly have any problems at all.
Woohoo! thanks for your help ;[

Anyway I can only recommend you update your mouse drivers, disable the preload and defrag.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Ok guys, I defrag my hard drive everyday before I go to school so that when I come home, it's already done.

And since I have such a small hard drive (20 GB), it should be running at top speed as compared to a 120 GB hard drive; however, I do not have a cache on my hard drive...That shouldn't make a significant difference, right?

Oh, and sorry for going hard on you, edhe, i was just really frustrated. With SpeechRedist installed I can't win a single "Single Player" level because of all the lag...

The minute I do take SpeechRedist off my computer, the game is smooth again...But I wanna talk to bots!

Stigmata

Codepunk
Jan 31, 2004
The Sprawl
MegaManInferno said:
How about they post the batch file to?
well, the batch file has to be specifically written to each individual computer, because everyone has different things running on their system. For example, I have Coldfusion and Flash Communication Server running, as well as a bunch of other non-Windows things. However, to get anyone interested started, it works like this:
open notepad

Net Stop "Print Spooler"

the whole list will look like this, you just type Net Stop and then the name of the service as it appears in the Services Manager, in quotes. then you save your file as "filename".bat
I saved mine to the desktop for convenience, and when you double click it, the batch will begin to shut down all services you listed.
Be Warned: If you dont' know what you are doing, or don't understand what a particular service does, leave it alone. While a simple reboot will correct any SNAFUs you have created with the .bat, I do not guarantee that you cannot do serious damage to your system, however unlikely.
Once you have successfully compiled your list and saved your .bat, simply run it before you play. I usually reboot after I'm done playing to restore services - there is most likey a way to reactivate them, but I don't know how (would like to know though, if anyone cares to share the knowledge).
This procedure is most noticeably helpful during the loading process between maps.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Stigmata - Your post makes plenty of sense.

What I'd like to find out is which apps do you find non-essential.

Last edited: