Cheating... :P

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Hash Weasel

Jan 17, 2000
BC,Canada
Visit site
I played a game of CTF a few nights ago on a reliable server I normally play on.That paticular night tho,some odd things were happening...I would all of a sudden die while firing a mingun at someone and it would say I killed myself.Also,the opposing team took our flag.We had there flag too at the time.Me and another team mate were trying to take out the enemy flag carrier,when our flag carrier was killed.All of a sudden,the flag disappears from the enemy flag carriers back and counts as a capture.
Several people were complaining about the other team cheating.I was expecting the other team to simply deny it,but instead they said they were in fact cheating!Saying that they were so cool and that all the girls thought they were so great.And how much more fun it is when you cheat.
Pretty f**king pathetic in my opinion...
But anyhow,someone on our team said that they may be cheating through "DOS Attacks"...
So what is up with this?!DOS Attacks?what are those!?And I hope to god it doesnt happen more often...it really ruined the game.

By the way,if the person that did this attack is reading...you suck!Despite your cheating,we still managed to score a few caps on you...now thats pathetic...

------------------
Hey relax,guy!

Zeitgeist

Dec 24, 1999
Visit site
DOS stands for Denial of Service. They usually take the form of a flood of information, or nuking open ports on someone else computer. You see a lot of this stuff on chat programs like IRC and ICQ. Recently those huge websites, EBay, Yahoo etc, were the victims of a concentrated DOS attack. I don't see how a DOS attack could affect UT in the ways you mention. A UT DOS attack would probably either A) crash your machine or B) slow down your connection terribly.
This is all speculation however, as I don't know if any attacks are possible like this in regards to UT.

bullet2.gif

I'm obsessed with women, and death.

C

CrapMonger

U might want to check your ping when something like this happens, i blame lag for these kind of things...

Also, when they respond with that kind of stuff:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR> Saying that they were so cool and that all the girls thought they were so great.And how much more fun it is when you cheat <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that usually means that they are being sarcastic... that they were cheating but said that b/c they thought you were asking (in their oppinion) a stupid question, i have NO IDEA how they would cheat, or how ANYONE would cheat in a game, but when stuff like that happens i usually think its something like Packet Loss or Ping and leave....

I sure hope ppl aren't able to Cheat, they are just good...

bullet2.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>"Opinions are like @ssholes, everybody's got one and most people don't care what anybody else's looks like."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
DSL- Coming to Mike's Computer VERY soon

BeZerKeR

Feb 12, 2000
hometown.aol.com
No offense man (I DON'T mean this to be taken rudely), but if it bothered you that much... why didn't ya just leave the game??? These guys probably won't cheat or whatever if NOONE PLAYS WITH THEM ANYMORE! In order to take advantage of someone, there must be a victim. Take away the victim and...

food for thought. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

"Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows...
...nor do I"
"BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"

BeZerKeR

Feb 12, 2000
hometown.aol.com
Oh yeah... one more thing.
I highly doubt the girls will think they're so great when they find out they've been playing with THEMSELVES! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

"Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows...
...nor do I"
"BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"

[OF]candyman

Nov 24, 1999
OHIO
www.iamapervert.com
Sounds like zero ping to me /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif It is possible that someone found a good way to cheat...not really good but for them it is..I myself have saw a great well known clan member do some cheats (it was in unreal though)It almost started a clan war me telling him off about it...There will always be cheaters..it just goes to show that the lamest people need some type of attention even if it is bad attention they still love it.

Nevar

Feb 7, 2000
Visit site
Please tell us what site this is! Some us almost normal in the head people like to avoid these sites. They will soon find themselves playing with themselves in more ways than one I am sure.

The Hash Weasel

Jan 17, 2000
BC,Canada
Visit site
Just to answer a few questions...
Yeah,I checked my ping,it was 150 on average,and my packet loss was always 0% when I checked.
and Khorne,I dont feel that I was a victim,thats why I stayed a bit.I posted just ask what they may have been doing,and to ask what DOS Attacks were,if there was in fact such a thing...
Now I know...and knowing is half the battle!
-G.I. JOE!

bullet2.gif

Hey relax,guy!

Satsu

Nov 20, 1999
place
I was playing a guy running his own server and he had himself invisible to everyone. This is just annoying, it seems too easy to cheat in UT.