Laser mouse or more ram?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
Should i get that new microsoft laser mouse or more system ram?
right now i have the MS intellimouse (3 button + wheel + mouse ball) and 128 megs of ram
is the laser mouse really good for games or bad?
is there any bad side effects to it being a laser for games?
thanks in advance

------------------
"I like this book because of its cover. This book sucks, the cover sucks." -XS

[This message has been edited by BirddoG (edited 03-09-2000).]

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Tough call man.

I dunno. I love my 256MB as much as my Explorer mouse.

Get both!
Yes, I know this didn't help. Sorry.

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

EvilAsh

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
There are about same price.. But I would suggest more Ram..

As for mouse.. I want a Razer Boomslang baby.. I don't like the fact that the Intellimouse can lose control for a few moments forcing one to pick it up and then drop it back down to regain control.

The Razer is pinpoing accurate with no lost control ever. Plus it comes with Battlezone2 full version..

The overall value is better.

bullet2.gif

Ash:"I said your words..
I got the book so send me back. Like in the deal!

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
EA (hopefully not the same EA from the GT Forum)... /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

The Explorer never loses track like that. I have no idea what you're talking about. I NEVER have to pick up my mouse unless I want to (ie, spiral staircase).

The laser does NOT lose control for any amount of time.

As for the boomslang, there's been quite a few discussions - the general consensus is: the higher poll rate from the PS/2 eats up CPU time - it's quite uncomfortable - customer service is horrendous. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I highly recommend folks go with the Explorer and stay away from any Boomslang (believe me, in the past I was pretty excited about the Boomslang - then the truth came out).

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

Necroth

Former WeeDHead
Mar 7, 2000
Visit site
i'm with you rooster,
best money ever spend.

mouseballs are DEAD, hail to the optical mouses.
And yeah those 256mb does't.

I've i got to choose witch one i'll had to put aside, damn no choice, no choice at all.
Impossible, i'll think i'll quit playing 3Dshooters without those two.

Junglecat

Feb 24, 2000
San Jose, CA, USA
Visit site
Go with the explorer, 128 ram is fine for ut and for the immediate future. Though Even with the explorer out there, I am sticking with my logitech mouseman wheel. bleh call me old fashioned, but I will beat you laser punks anyday with my ball.. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

-Junglecat

Word.

[This message has been edited by Junglecat (edited 03-09-2000).]

Devisor

Feb 25, 2000
norway
ut.barrysworld.net
Yeah.. 128 is good butt more is better....

Just a question... I and my friends has the Logitech cordless mouse wheel.. When we playd this weekend we had problems with our mouse.. thei interfired with each other so we had to use mouse with the f"#¤ cord.. Do anyone knows how to fix this?

Necroth

Former WeeDHead
Mar 7, 2000
Visit site
Problem with most corless apparatus at the moment is interferance with other cordless devices, and the more that there a in the room, the more interferrence.
I've seen offices where one corless keyboard, could control three to for pc's due th interference, bit nasty while playing.

And yes, 256 help's more as 128 mb, that's a fact, but ONLY, ONLY when the game support's is, so in Q3 you got the use the hunkmegs option, and in ut also something simulair.

But the difference between 128 and 256 isn't so noticeable as between 64 and 128 mb.
But shure there is an speed difference, but more as 256mb isn't usefull anymore.
The most extra speed with 256 mb is gained with high-res games (up from 1200x1024 and higher) the 256 mb is really noticeable.
But when you'll keep playing in 800x600, well is wasted money.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
If you're anything like me and have UT, IE5, Outlook Express 5 and mIRC all going at the same time, as well as a cartload of other stuff, then the extra ram will benefit you.

Regarding the mouse though, I'd say if you want it then go and buy it. Yeah I use it and I'm a laser punk. A very, very accurate laser punk /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

Murphy's Technology Law #10:
If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
cool thanks alot people
im goin tomorrow to get it for my birthday (17 on march 9)

bullet2.gif

"I like this book because of its cover. This book sucks, the cover sucks." -XS

Claude_Ballz

Ballz-Like
Jan 17, 2000
Visit site
Well, yall have done it ... You've convinced me to come off w/ some of that "rusty money" and get an Explorer. Since it'll soon be my b-day too :) (33 on the 12th) - I know - old man.
Question about the RAM though - under WIN98, if you upgrade to 256Mb, don't you have to screw w/ your virtual memory settings or something? I've got 128 now and it rocks pretty darn good :)

bullet2.gif

Say Hello To My Little Friend!

Thar T'Pak [=AA=]

Mar 2, 2000
Urbandale, IA USA
Devisor..

Buy a MouseBungee. My friend has one, and they work wonderfully.
http://www.mousebungee.com/

The work a lot better than you think. And they are fairly cheap.

bullet2.gif

Games....Must....have.....more.....games.....

=AA='s Offensive co-captain, heavy duty flag capper and part time male stripper

The HIVE - the ONLY Place to go for Gaming schtuff -http://www.hivenetwork.com
The Blast Pit - Birthplace of the Alien Armada =AA=

pbrager

Mar 7, 2000
College Station TX USA
Visit site
Claude_Ballz:
Yes, as a rule of thumb, your vm should be set at 2-2.5x the amount of system ram. By default, Windows calculates it to be the amount of ram + 12, which depending on how your machine addresses memory, can cause problems.

bullet2.gif

Mar_the_Undead

Devisor

Feb 25, 2000
norway
ut.barrysworld.net
Well... Thar T'Pak [=AA=], my problem is that I have bought the Logitech cordless whell mouse. So I'm scruwed to I get a other cordless mouse from an other firm.. Or if one of the two friends I have don't show up on the lan party's or get a other mouse.. It's really a fallback using a mouse with the "¤#% cord..