A vague idea

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stamp

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Wouldn't it be nice if ...
.all the major players in the FPS industry could get together and agree a set of minimum or basic rules/standards.
.if these could be incorporated in any and all FPS
.if platforms could be created using these stds that anyone could connect to using their own client software. eg Unreal,UT,Quake xx,etc

The idea would be that all FPS game players and developers could then compete directly against each other.

There's always so much conjecture about this game against that and these players against those. This way we could all argue about new, different, fresh things. Obviously this basic idea would have to be greatly developed and expanded, still ... just a vague idea.

------------------

`It's good to shut up sometimes.'
-- MARCEL MARCEAU

Zeitgeist

Dec 24, 1999
Visit site
Hmm, but remember Stamp, variety is the spice of life. It's nice to have a choice between engines, if that's what you mean. Healthy competition between games companies is what keeps them alive, if they don't advance then someone else will. Although I'm not sure what you mean exactly by standardisation of platforms. I think it would be more beneficial to the PC community if hardware manufacturers could agree on some sort of standard.

bullet2.gif

I'm obsessed with women, and death.

[This message has been edited by Zeitgeist (edited 03-10-2000).]

Stamp

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Yes, I think you're correct. Platform is the wrong word to use. The idea is to get everyone, especially if they use different clients, to compete directly with one another.

I think it would be more competitive to be able to have some direct comparison. At the moment you have everyone spouting opinions about who or which is the best what, but there is no way to directly compare anything.

There could be a server where, for example, a team of UT players could take on a team of Quake 3 players. The advantage/disadvantage of each games code could then be compared as well as the level of gameplay of each community.

Sure there would be issues and problems similar to those experienced by all FPS players on a bigger scale. I think though, that this idea would enhance the overall enjoyment for all involved. Especially for those who like to compare this and that and find ratings to be all important.

We might find for example that our favourate game persistantly out-performs others and our players are constantly topping the charts/ratings. Then we could all say 'told you so' and everyone else would have to be a lot more creative in their excuses and there would be a bigger drive to improve game code and play.

That said, it is all just 'pie in the sky', as I said, just a vague idea.

bullet2.gif

`It's good to shut up sometimes.'
-- MARCEL MARCEAU

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Stamp, I disagree on a few points. If you make the FPS "platform" so that any major FPS could play against another, you end up with just graphics being the difference, because the engine would have to be the same.

Your argument that "At the moment you have everyone spouting opinions about who or which is the best what, but there is no way to directly compare anything." is not really valid. I mean, it sounds like you believe it's not really possible to compare a Porsche and a Ferrari, or at the far extreme, a Honda CBR/Hurricane vs a Ferrari - you can easily compare both. I'm not saying that it's easy, but it certainly can be done and be done correctly.

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 03-10-2000).]