Updated Monsters in Invasion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Digital Nightfall

Jul 27, 2001
Visit site
I'm curious to find out of there is a project which has or is planning to make updated versions of the models/skins for the Invasion gametype. I'm not interested in new or original invasion creatures, just high detail / high res versions of the classic Unreal 1 monsters.

So far my search at planetunreal and beyond unreal for such a project has come up with nothing, so I decided to just ask.

Thank you.

P.S. Any signs of a Nali player model would be welcome as well! I miss that guy.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
If higher poly models were made for INV there needs to be an option to play w/ the old versions also. I can't imagine playing INV w/ an army of 10kpoly models coming after me.

{MåçE}

ma$e is back!!??
Mar 6, 2004
or just more variety in monsters, but keep them low poly. if anything at all was needed, that would be about it really.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
zynthetic said:
I can't imagine playing INV w/ an army of 10kpoly models coming after me.
This is exactly why they are low poly. This reason right here.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Um, that's exactly what it means. That means more pointless rendering to make something look pretty. Myself, I play a game to play the game, not look at it.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
shadow_dragon said:
Rendering one texture instead of another takes more time? Surely that depends on the extent of compression and such? I tohught the polys of the model were the problem not th detail of the texture! Sorry!
It can be both, I think...... not sure, but I'm pretty sure more detail will be a bigger strain on a system.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Nemephosis said:
It can be both, I think...... not sure, but I'm pretty sure more detail will be a bigger strain on a system.
It is both. :D

The more detail, the less frames you're going to get when there's multiple enimies on the screen. The same goes for poly counts, if it's a lot, and the video card doesn't have enough memory for both the textures and the polies being rendered, your fps are going to dip really low.

Just look at the difference between having characters on super high detail and low. You can have many more players on the screen at low detail without the fps diping. lol, I wouldn't want to see 50+ skaarj with super high detail charging at me. My mobo would blow out. :p