PDA

View Full Version : camera mod HELP!!

KidA
21st May 2004, 11:30 AM
Hi,

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

I've been given an assignment at uni (I'm studying Architecture and took a digital architecture module) in which I have to use UT2003 to create something architecture related.

I decided to have a map in which the camera follows you and moves around to view you from different angles as you approach different parts of the building within the map. For example, if you were to go behind a row of columns it might be cool for the camera to view you from side-on so that it watches you move through the colonnade. The overall idea is that the mod would help a client understand architectural concepts better and that the camera wouldnt suddenly change view but that it would flow from one view to another as the player walks through the map.

So my problem is this:

I don't know how to write scripts - I'm an architect, not a computer scientist!

I understand the basic workings (.u, .ini files etc) and I have created a couple of simple 'mutators' but don't know how to implement the camera I need.

I have searched all over the net for a camera mod for UT2003 but cannot find one. Any suggestions or knowledge of similar mods that I might be able to modify myself would be GREATLY appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

rhinodog
21st May 2004, 07:40 PM
Why not create a map and set up a matinee?

KidA
22nd May 2004, 05:11 AM
Why not create a map and set up a matinee?

Thanks for your reply,

Does the Matinee tool allow me to make a camera move depending upon the movement of the player? I thought that one way I could have done it was to place different Zones that act as triggers and that each zone corresponds to a camera location - the effect I want to achieve is a smooth movement of the camera as the player walks through the map but I dont want to create a movie to be watched afterwards, i need the player to be able to experience these camera angles in realtime. Is this possible with the matinee tool?

chip
22nd May 2004, 12:33 PM
i think with careful planning it could be done, by using triggers (or perhaps volumes) to detect the player in areas where you want the camera to take a certain path, and using multiple Matinee scenes activated by the triggers. but you'd have to set up the PlayerController for 3rd person view by default, i think -- moving from 1st person to Matinee-controlled viewpoint would be a bit jarring imo. that isn't hard to do, though.

PM me with an e-addy and we can start a dialog on this -- it's somewhat parallel to what i was planning for my next Unreal project, anyway, and would be a good project to develop some ideas.

Postal
22nd May 2004, 12:53 PM
You talking a Resident Evil type camera. Say a camera in each room somewhere, and as you walk into that room, you switch to that camera, and watch youre self walk around in there? It was done in UT, so I know its possible.

Dunno how it was done, but its possible.

KidA
22nd May 2004, 06:42 PM
Nope, sorry I'm not talking about a resident evil type camera. I'm talking about one that can follow you in a smooth motion without changing camera angle - in resident evil the camera changes position every time the player enters a new room, as the backgrounds are pre-rendered, this isnt the effect I am attempting to achieve.

chip
23rd May 2004, 11:02 AM
KidA: as it turns out from some testing i've done, Matinee probably won't work well for your purposes, as a number of important characteristics of using it the way you describe aren't exposed to Unreal Script.

however, i have made some progress using scripting to alter the camera viewpoint as you describe in the "collonade" example, if you're interested. it's still early beta but shows some promise.

KidA
23rd May 2004, 12:42 PM
Chip, I would be very grateful if you could share the work that you have managed to complete up to now...any help at all is welcomed and I appreciate you having a look at my problem.

I have pm'd you with my email address.

TheLedge_
27th May 2004, 02:49 AM
Hi

Im trying to work out exactly the same problem myself and happen to be an animation student not a programmer.

Ive found some really useful tutorials at
http://gamestudies.cdis.org/~jgiles/

Ive so far managed to make a kinda resident evil camera system

the camera changes postion using triggers in rooms that trigger really short matinee scenes .000001 secs each, which in turn change the position and angle of the camera.

the camera is set up to always look at the player so automatically snaps into postion and looks at the player

Viewtarget=Viewactor

so possibly you could develope a script, so depending on the trigger triggered the view target would change to say an archectural feature you want to emphsis while still allow you to walk round in real time.

im not totally sure how to write the script but ill keep you posted if i mange to fing out.

KidA
27th May 2004, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the tutorials link, there are loads that are helpful to my project.

With regards to the camera system, I managed to get help from 'Chip' - he was able to develop some script for a camera system that would view the player from side-on just as in the colonnade example I spoke of.

My assignment is due in on friday and thanks to chip I managed to get something working.

Thanks all for your help.

KidA