PDA

View Full Version : BR-Templus2k4, out now!

Sjosz
20th May 2004, 04:37 AM
Well, like I did on many other forums, I'm gonna pimp my new piece of art here. BR-Templus2k4 has been released, it's a serious revision of the older BR-Templus for UT2003. The changes since then:
- custom sounds added
- custom music added
- custom static meshes added
- custom textures added
- custom cubemap
- added a LOT of new sounds to up the atmosphere
- added a LOT of new (x)emitters to up the atmosphere
- new skybox
- terrain
- tweaked lighting
- completely new botpathnetwork (including defense-scripts)
- enhancement of some existing static meshes (altered skins)
- better alignment of textures
- and of course a prettier and updated materialsequence
Please let me know what you all think of it, and if it has changed for the better if you have played the first version of Templus.

Sjosz
20th May 2004, 04:41 AM
The map is still awaiting approval (since yesterday, Wednesday), but I expect it to be up here tomorrow or so. To help you decide to download this map, here are some screenies for you to look at, although they aren't great :rolleyes:
For those that can't wait, follow this link here:

http://www.unrealplayground.com/maps .php?mapid=5706

Can't wait to hear those replies!

Ironblayde
20th May 2004, 05:37 PM
First off, I haven't played the original so I can't make any comparative comments for you.

The visuals are certainly good, but that doesn't change the fact that the map is just a single room. It's well done for what it is; it's just that what it is holds little appeal for me. When a round can easily be completed in three or four seconds, and a goal can be scored from all the way across the map, there's no room left over for strategy and teamwork. The first one to the ball, assuming he can stay alive for the half-second required to do a quick dodge sideways, will score. It's like playing Rocket Arena with a ball thrown in for kicks. Why even bother going for a touchdown when you can hit a field goal from virtually anywhere on the map?

The bots are hopeless, even on Godlike. I think that part of this is an inherent weakness of the ShootSpot objects; since they don't have a property that allows you to manually set the vector they should throw the ball at, I don't think you can get around the fact that bots suck at off-axis field goals without some UnrealScript trickery. But most of it is the low number of usable ShootSpots you've included -- there should be quite a few considering that you can score from anywhere as long as there isn't a pillar in your way -- along with the fact that the bots often go for touchdowns when a field goal would be a sure thing, and get killed because they need to get very close to the goal first and are very picky about when they'll actually make a jump for the goal.

Also, if this was meant to be played in low gravity, why not set that property in your central ZoneInfo actors? When it's played on normal gravity, the bots are even worse because they don't realize that they can't score a touchdown. And even on normal gravity you can hit a goal from three quarters of the way across the map.

Sorry to be harsh, but I don't understand the attraction of Bombing Run sans strategy. I'm sure that the people who play maps like Thorns will enjoy this one, but I prefer something more engaging.

Sjosz
21st May 2004, 03:54 AM
Although the map is indeed but 1 room, it does certainly have a certain strategy around it. If you ever had played these kind of 'Thorns' maps, as you put it yourself with guys that are really good in them you would realise that this map may even prove very strategic. True, the ball could be scored easily from across the map, but there are many that know how to catch a ball in midair or shoot it to make it miss it's target. For those never playing these maps it can be very fast, very boring, but gameplay cannot get any more intense with some 'Thorns-pros' in the field... Maybe you should try to see for yourself, although I can see your point very clearly:)

Secondly there have been reported some bugs already, very few, but still, I'm gonna fix them soon and I will consider to alter the gravity setting for the central room, you're not the first to make that comment:), as well as some new shootspots, the rest of the behaviour of bots is hardly improve-able, as this map was meant mainly for online play:)

Lastly I'm grateful for such honest and critisizing comments. My ego was starting to get too big with all the positive 'WOW!' comments I got;)

Ironblayde
21st May 2004, 06:18 AM
I see your point, about players who commonly play these kind of maps. Most of the Bombing Run maps I'm used to are big enough that they don't have many opportunities for catching an attempt at a field goal, or deflecting shots with weapons fire. I'll be sure to give it a try if I see it on any servers out there. As I said, it's good for what it is, so don't let my comments get to you or anything. Most of them are about personal preference rather than mistakes in construction. :)

Sjosz
21st May 2004, 06:36 AM
Sure, it all comes down to personal taste. I don't like these kind of maps too much either, but it was just something to get out of my system, since I was irritated by the looks of Thorns-like maps, so I thought, let's show 'em how to do this...
And really, no offense taken, can't please everyone :D :D :D