PDA

View Full Version : Limitation of spawned actors

tarbeu
17th May 2004, 07:20 PM
I try to do a trace that follow the movement of each player, I spawn dynamicly during the game a lot of actors(static mesh) but after a certain time the game crashes due to an excess of actors in the level.....
Is anyone know how to spawn dynamicly static mesh without their are considered as actors?? Is it possible?
any suggestion welcome.
thank you.

[SAS]Solid Snake
17th May 2004, 07:48 PM
If you want to follow the movement of the player, compile a list of vector points instead. So use an array. Also don't do this every tick, but rather ever second or so. You can interpolate the vector point data to get a very predictable path.

Mychaeel
17th May 2004, 07:57 PM
Is anyone know how to spawn dynamicly static mesh without their are considered as actors?? Is it possible?
Perhaps you can use an Emitter/MeshEmitter or Emitter/TrailEmitter combination to your ends.

tarbeu
17th May 2004, 08:01 PM
Hum, i have already think to do that but the problem is I want to visualize the path of the player has choosen...
To visualize the trace i think i m obliged to spawn static mesh as actor, it is that the big problem.
What do i do yet is spawn a static mesh for each player each 0.5 seconds with this technik i have a good vision of the path of the player but it spawn a lot of actor and the game doesn't appreciate very much....it result of a crash after some minutes of game....

tarbeu
17th May 2004, 08:04 PM
Emitter are considered like actors too by the game and i think the game will not not like that muck than the static mesh, i would visualize in fact the path of each player from the start to the player death....
i don't know how to do that without actors.

Mychaeel
17th May 2004, 08:08 PM
I was thinking of creating a single Emitter/MeshEmitter pair and just creating a new particle each time you want to create a marker.

If you set up the MeshEmitter correctly and move the Emitter along with the player, you should be able to get a trail of static meshes without spawning new actors all the time.

tarbeu
17th May 2004, 08:22 PM
It s a very good idea, i don't know if particles are considered as actors, if not it will work...
thank you i will try this.

Mychaeel
17th May 2004, 08:32 PM
No, particles created by Emitters aren't actors -- so I think you'll have a good chance to succeed. :)

Of course I'm sure there's some hard or soft limit to the number of particles that can be around in a map, too -- if nothing else, the sheer amount of polys visible on the screen will limit the number of particles. However, the engine performs a lot better with particles than with full-fledged actors.

Note that you could experience several sorts of other strange effects with the Emitter/MeshEmitter approach: Since there's only a single actor involved (the Emitter actor), the engine makes only one single decision whether to render this actor (and all of its particles) -- if the Emitter actor is in a different zone outside a player's view, the engine might choose not to render it (and all of its particles) at all (even if some of the particles should be in plain sight of the player).

I suppose you're going to have to experiment some, but the concept is promising. :)

dataangel
17th May 2004, 08:49 PM
There's always debug lines.

tarbeu
17th May 2004, 08:58 PM
thank you but I have already try and the visualisation is not good the line is to thin cannot be seen of very far and apparently it is very slow....