UnrealEd changes?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Artician

worldbuilder
Jun 15, 2003
www.creathcarter.com
Thanks for the reply. When I started mapping with Unreal tools I was told that the UED version that shipped with UT2003 was more robust than the U2 editor, but the U2 editor had more features for implementing things like single player stages, scripting, and enemy AI (other than bots).

I was curious if they had thrown the elements of U2 into the mix to make an all around package with UT2004. Or any similar features.

Thanks again!

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
except 5 or so bug fixes and a few very small additions mainly ment for ons and as mapping there are no changes

there is no point in putting in singleplay actors and models and AI in to a multiplay only game
you buy a game, not a giant load of development things, they are just extra
same goes for not being able to find a texture. if i want a red brick texture and i dont know where to find it i ask myself the question "in what map did i saw a red brick texture before"
i then open that map, i select the tex, look in surface properties to the path and there i go, i have the text
takes an astonishing 1 minute work

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Oh great
That's going to make it even harder to find content to work with.
Personally I think this is a good thing. That way we don't have bloated texture/mesh packages. Although yes it does make map files larger and so forth, but in terms of work habits. it is easier to release since there are less linked file errors that could occur. Also it means that seperate people can work on their map for a mod without having to send a whole tonne of files over.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
No, I really don't see how that's better.
The game content is the same size whether resources are in maps or packages. This is just a matter of organization and ease of use.

Also it means that seperate people can work on their map for a mod without having to send a whole tonne of files over.

??? we're talking about the STANDARD packages that ship with the game, right? if you both have the game, you both have the packages.
for your own custom content, you're free to do what you like.
this just makes it a pain in the ass for people making maps with existing meshes

RFairey

King of the Faireys
Aug 2, 2000
Somewhere Else
Visit site
I'd prefer to have everything in the map myself - if I want to release something then I don't have to remember which packages are the default ones, and which I have acquired from mod/map downloads. I just put all the necessary texs in the map file (and leave out any other uneeded ones) and have done with it. That way I don't have to work out which packages I need to include with it.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Well, I don't think we're talking about the same thing here.

I mean the maps that ship with the actual game. They should place content in packs for modders and mappers to re-use.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
you buy a game, not a content thing, the emphasis on making the game and not on making it easiest and fun for the modding community, thats just an extra
alot of dm maps, specially the 1on1's were when they were made not ment for ut2004 retail but for another thing, and for this other thing it was ment for it would have been more appropriate to use mylevel
i dont know for ctf and as and the like, everyone just made what he liked and how he liked it, go with the flow
in the end its still -very- simple to find stuff in mylevel and to get it out
so its not such a big prob, it could only raise your filesize a little but that isnt such big issue either
if the game already takes 6 gig im sure those 5 meg extra in your map wont kill you

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
That's true. I also think that this may have promoted individualized maps a lot more as well. I mean when I look at a map, sometimes you can just tell who did it simply by the way the author did things or similar content used (Hourences - I like the fire flies in your maps ... mmm, pretty :)). It was good that more of the maps in UT2004 were different it may have been for this reason, or at least this helped. It's much easier to have content in myLevel rather than an assortment of packages!