PDA

View Full Version : UNREAL ENGINE

perfect-game studios
15th May 2004, 12:22 PM
hi people well i just would like to know what are the differences beetween unreal runtime,unreal 2003/04 engine as i about to start on a game and was wondering ig unreal runtime is the same as unreal 2003/04 thanks
perfect game studios

perfect-game studios
15th May 2004, 12:23 PM
any code drops or loss of features would be help full are can i use the same features that are availible in unreal 2003/04 engine

[SAS]Solid Snake
16th May 2004, 03:39 AM
If you want to make a game, you probably want to use UT2004 since there is a lot more game related code in UT2004 that would be helpful. The RunTime project is intended for those are a highly skilled in Unrealscripting.

GuruKnight
25th May 2004, 02:09 PM
As I understand it, the Unreal Engine Runtime can be used to create whatever you want, but you cannot use it to make something that you can distribute to others to play or use without buying the license.

The way to go about making a game and letting others play is by making a mod for UT2004. This can be a whole different game.

conscripted
27th May 2004, 04:01 AM
Compare UT2k3/4 to a finished piece of art..... that happens to come with a box of crayons, some oil pastels, a ruler, a few pencils and a brush or two. It has enormous amounts of content that you play with and add to.

Compare runtime to a blank canvas - oh the sample map would be a sketch in the bottom corner of the canvas. but you do get all the crayons, pencils paints and brushes.. You get the engine, the editor, the fundemental scripts and thats pretty much it.

Runtime is not for the faint hearted, but I would disagree with Solid Snake that it's for those that are already highly skilled at uscripting.. If you stick with modelling and level design, you dont have to know any scripting, and can have beautiful maps. But its not a toy, so you need persistance and skill to get anywhere with it.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Engine/UnrealEngine2Features