Use of Cachexxxx.tmp

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
I did a forum search, but I didn't get anything related...

Whats the deal with these Cache files in the UT folder? Can I rename them just like the ones in the Cache folder (and how?) or is it just junk? Its quite some MB already

Last edited:

Exar

INForcer
Nov 7, 2001
The Netherlands
www.inforcers.net
Crowze said:
If a server uses redirection and compression, it saves the files as cachexxxx.tmp and then extracts it into the Cache directiory. You should be safe deleting them.
Did you read the Question?
This is actually not about the cache folder and even if it would be about that, the files in the cache folder are NOT named like cachexxxx.tmp, but as 7CC2CEC011D883C450001BB26CB026BA.uxx for example.

Anyways, to answer the question: it's just the caching UT uses while running...
You can safely remove those cachexxxx.tmp files (but I suggest not to do it while running the game ;)).

Exar

INForcer
Nov 7, 2001
The Netherlands
www.inforcers.net
Erm, no offence Crowse, but you are talking about something else!
Try reading the original question of this thread again and my post.

You are talking about the custom files you get connecting to a server (maybe compressed and redirected). Those go to the cache folder. Correct.
As a serveradmin I know all about that, so it's a bit weird that you say "If you still don't believe me...."

What this thread is about is the cachexxxx.tmp files in the UT folder.
Note: it's another folder AND the filenames are completely different.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Sorry, but I know I'm right about this. What I'm saying is that the cachexxxx.tmp files are the actual compressed files downloaded from the redirect server. UT then extracts these into the Cache directory. It doesn't clean up the old files after extracting, hence you get all the cachexxx.tmp files lying around.

Really, it makes sense to store all other temporary data in memory - that's what it's for. Just try what I said. Besides, is it really that important? Either way, they can be deleted.

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited:

MP_Duke

Banned
May 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
Exar, Crowze is right. He answered the original question. There was no reason to bring this passed Post #2.

For fun, let's venture the analysis of question and answer:
Nukeproof said:
Whats the deal with these Cache files in the UT folder? Can I rename them just like the ones in the Cache folder (and how?) or is it just junk?
Crowze said:
If a server uses redirection and compression, it saves the files as cachexxxx.tmp and then extracts it into the Cache directiory. You should be safe deleting them.

What's the deal with these Cache files in the UT folder? Or, less colloquially, what are the files named cachexxxx.tmp in the UT folder?
If i'm not mistaken, Crowze explains where these cachexxxx.tmp files come from and their function, effectively answering the first question. He then states that it is safe to delete them, which is another way of saying they become junk after serving their purpose of extracting to the Cache folder. This answers the second question. i cannot get anymore blatant than this, otherwise it would just be stupid to repeat what Crowze said :p

Last edited:

Exar

INForcer
Nov 7, 2001
The Netherlands
www.inforcers.net
Oops I forgot to recheck this thread hehe...

Sorry Crowse, didn't realise we were both saying the same thing... :D
That's because I didn't know UT was THAT dumb to store the compressed files twice AND not removing the first version....
Anyway we were both right, sorry for thinking you weren't... blame the stupid way UT handles this... ;)