Flag Domination needs mappers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Uncommon

Flag Monkey
Mar 31, 2000
Calabasas, CA
www.uncommonplace.com
Now that Flag Domination has won fourth place in MSUC Phase 2, maybe I'll have better luck with this :)

I'm looking for good mappers to help me show this game type's potential. So far I've mostly been doing conversions of CTF maps, but that doesn't really show the variety of layout possibilities. Steve Polge, in his feedback about my contest entry, said that the lack of good maps was the biggest area for improvement.

For the uninitiated, Flag Domination is like Domination played out with flags. Two or three flags start out in the center of the map, and there is a designated spot for each team to capture each flag.

The existence of multiple flags and capture points allows for a wide variety of map layouts. You don't even have to follow the "two forts" model. You could give each flag its own area, instead of each team. Here are some other ideas I've had:

- Long and short:
One flag that has its capture points deep in each team's base, and one or two other flags which are captured closer to the center. This way you get the combination of having to infiltrate the other team's base, and the close contention of controlling the middle flag(s). In the three-flag variation, the team that holds the "deep" flag has the advantage, but the other team could still score with the middle flags.

- Parallelism:
Two flags in sort of a double CTF design, with some separation between the two flag runs. I'm working on a conversion of UT2004's CTF-AbsoluteZero which lends itself to this layout.

- Escalation:
A three-level map, one flag per level, and each level is smaller than the one below. This gives the same variety of action as the "long and short" idea, with a more three-dimensional design. My Orbital2 conversion essentially follows this design.

- Imbalance:
Sort of an inverted version of the "long and short" concept: two flags, and each one has a deep capture point for one team but shallow for the other. My two original maps, Offbeat and Ethkantes, are like this.

Instructions for making FD maps are included in the download package, and I also have a version of the document on the Unreal Wiki.

LOL! It could probably work, but the thing stopping me from finishing it right now aside from basic construction, is I've painted myself into a corner with bots. They won't drive the manta between the trees... :(

I'm likely going to have to rescale everything to allow bot support. I'm this close to pleading with Blitz...

[shameless self-pimpage]Here's a preview[/shameless self-pimpage]

Attachments

• EastNode.JPG
    EastNode.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 13
  • redbaseentrance.JPG
    redbaseentrance.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 9