PDA

View Full Version : Get the Clone Bandits Beta!

hottoast
11th May 2004, 09:58 AM
Hey Folks,

I know a bunch of you are excited about Clone Bandits, and trust me - we hear you! We'd like to try to get the early beta of CB into your hands as soon as we can, so we've devised a clever plan: if you sign up for the mailing list on the main Clone Bandits site, then we'll send you a username and password for the download. Good deal, huh?

Go to this page to get to the mailing list signup, it's right on the left side of the page.

http://www.demiurgestudios.com/CloneBandits/download.htm

We'll try to get it to you ASAP - Unfortunately, because of E3, we might not be able to get this out to you this week, but within the next couple of weeks, for sure.

Cheers,
Tom

Zaigou
11th May 2004, 04:36 PM
i did sign up but no user name and password arived at my mail box yet (waiting for that mail half a day now) so please help! i want to try it out bad:)

hottoast
11th May 2004, 08:21 PM
Ok. You asked for it, here it is:

Everyone on the mailing lists right now will get the beta - Yeah!! We're going to have a playtest tomorrow night here at Demiurge Studios, starting 8pm eastern time. You are all welcome to join in, either before or after that time. There should be bots on the server, so even if people aren't around, you can get a feel for the flavor of the mod.

We will be distributing the username and password to download the mod later tonight. We'll also try to get any stragglers at some point tomorrow, so that if you missed getting on the mailing list tonight, you can still play.

When you get your username/password, download and install the mod from the following link:

Download Page (http://www.demiurgestudios.com/CloneBandits/download.htm)

We weren't planning on doing this test this early, but the positive support (and the large amount of signups on the mailing lists) convinced us that an early rollout was a good idea. We come from the player community, we're big supporters of the player community, and we are very pleased to have the chance to give something back to it.

Have fun with the mod!

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. - Please, keep in mind that this is a BETA version of the mod. It's not ready for the mass market - there are still issues with it, both on the code and art sides. We know this. We also know that only the hardcore read the forums, and that you guys can handle the concept of an early beta. We'll appreciate whatever feedback and suggestions you guys have, just post to the appropriate forum board. Thanks!

bang_ur_dead
11th May 2004, 09:38 PM
Hey were do u register to get the beta download

commander_keen1
11th May 2004, 10:49 PM
thanks, downloading now :)

[GU]Opcode
11th May 2004, 11:54 PM
We have a beta testing server at Gamerzunlimited.com. We would like to give Clone Bandits a try. :)

commander_keen1
12th May 2004, 06:31 AM
at first glance i thought this gametype was going to be a slightly moded Onslaught. im happy to say im wrong :D , the only simularities between them is that the include vehicles and they are set in large out door environments. the gametype is extremely fun and well thhought out. the vehicles where extremely nice, very good modeling/texturing. the map was great (just wish there was more) i love the theme of the mod, its cartoony, but also has realism. i imagen you are going to add custom charecters, weapons, more vehicles, and cool additions to gameplay and the current gametype (and maybe more gametypes?).

also what are your guys plans for this mod? are you thinking about getting a publisher and publishing it as a retail (console?) game?

this is a VERY good start to what could be a VERY fun game.

hottoast
12th May 2004, 09:47 AM
First of all, we're happy you like Clone Bandits! We've put a lot of thought and effort into the design and production, and had a lot of bitter fights here over what the Best Choice was for innumerable options.

Yes, we're planning lots of new additions for the mod. We haven't made final design decisions on a lot of things, so I can't be too specific here. Also, would you really want the surprise spoiled? :)

Finally, we would love to bring this to the retail market, but there are no concrete plans to do so at this time. Maybe if a thousand people all called a publisher, and demanded that it be released. But as of now, no plans.

Cheers,
Tom

grenzelem
12th May 2004, 09:51 AM
i just found this mod, i'm VERY interested :)
can i still get a username/password? (i have signed up for the mailing list)

Captain'04
12th May 2004, 10:56 AM
me 2 plz. I ve signed up also and im very interested in testing tha mod.

Captain'04
12th May 2004, 04:26 PM
WOW. Thnx and well done. SUPER COOL MOD!!!!!! Great work.

grenzelem
12th May 2004, 04:35 PM
just played with bots a little...

man...this mod rocks! 8)

looks good, feels good and it's FAST :)

can't wait for more maps...(vehicles, maybe even weapons or charactermodels ;))

Zaigou
12th May 2004, 06:56 PM
Yiha got it thanks!

the mod has a realy good atmosphere, nice music too:) gameplay is fun the concept is good. I realy enjoyed the map.

as said in the other posts characters that fit to the theme would be realy great and some weird weapons (a flamingo launcher? maybe a weapon that makes the player back a clone jar again)

blueness
13th May 2004, 06:22 PM
I'm very curious too. The boonies of the northeast, are fairly far from the Nvidia booth, so I signed up for the mailing list instead. I'll look forward to receiving a name and pass so I can check out your work.
Thanks!

BOBO BADD
13th May 2004, 08:27 PM
From what i've read regarding this mod i'd say this is going to take alot of people away from the other gametypes and mods being offered for UT2004.Look forward to trying this mod.

bang_ur_dead
13th May 2004, 11:36 PM
tried it out now im stuck on it...man those r interesting vehicles cant wait to see more

Carbohydrates
15th May 2004, 04:58 PM
I, too, signed up a few days ago for the mailing list and am very interested in playing this mod, may I please have a user/pass to download it?
Carbohydrates at Comcast.net (no spaces, @)

hottoast
16th May 2004, 10:31 AM
I, too, signed up a few days ago for the mailing list and am very interested in playing this mod, may I please have a user/pass to download it?
Carbohydrates at Comcast.net (no spaces, @)

Hey everyone,

Sorry we haven't been immediate in our responses here. We appreciate your continuing interest in the mod, and will certainly get you a beta password soon. We have been waiting until enough people sign up to warrant a mass-mail from us, since sending out the beta and password information takes some time out of our day. I'll see if we can do one today or tomorrow.

Cheers,
Tom

Erde12
18th May 2004, 03:38 PM
how username and the Password to keep more download the mod ?

can one send me the password and the user name? thanks

PS:Im French

WOW. Thnx and well done. SUPER COOL MOD!!!!!! Great work. ----> Yes

Jason[Demiurge]
19th May 2004, 12:37 AM
Merci beaucoup Erde! Tu as besoin d'aller à notre website ici:

Et dans la boite grise vers la gauche, entres dand ton email et cliques le bouton de "Submit." Puis, nous t'enverrons l'username et le mot de passe pour le version beta. It est plus facile à envoyer beacoup des email au même fois.

PS: Je suis Américain ; )

Captain'04
19th May 2004, 07:37 PM
Trés bien. Je suis allemand, mais mon francais est merde LOL. Very good mod. We all r waiting for next Version (FULL *g*)

hottoast
19th May 2004, 08:33 PM
I'm glad to see that our mod seems to be crossing international boundaries in terms of appeal. Thanks for all the kind words, folks!

Cheers,
Tom

Erde12
20th May 2004, 01:14 AM
Trés bien. Je suis allemand, mais mon francais est merde LOL. Very good mod. We all r waiting for next Version (FULL *g*)

YES :)

Jason[Demiurge]
20th May 2004, 02:40 AM
YES :)

Ich denke, daß Erde12 "YES" sagt; über den Mod und nicht deinen Franzosen, Captain'04. ;)

Merci and Danke!

We appreciate all of your praise and support. :D

Vaptor
28th May 2004, 12:09 PM
i want to try!
PLZ!

Smokin
29th May 2004, 12:46 AM
Can i get the User name and password or a resend of the mailing list?

IronSpade
30th May 2004, 08:47 PM
This looks awesome cant wait until u send me a username and password. Just an idea is that you should get oher people to help send these out. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Seymour Gibbs
31st May 2004, 07:53 AM
Maybe they're working a on a new beta in time for the MSUC phase 3 deadline?

Captain'04
31st May 2004, 08:09 AM
WOW Jason r u german or one of these american genious? Very good german lol if u rn't german.

could u give us a release date for next version??

JoshuaC
31st May 2004, 10:11 PM
Hey This mod look fun any chance I could get my password? I really want to try this :)

hottoast
1st Jun 2004, 10:12 AM
Hey folks,

Sorry for the delay in getting the mod out to you guys. We've been hard at work making tweaks and improvements to the mod, so we've slipped a little bit in getting passwords out to people. We apologize. We'll try to send them out to mailing list signees later today. And we'll be sure to send an email to everyone on the mailing list when we get an improved version out!

Thanks for being patient with us.

Cheers,
Tom

Jason[Demiurge]
1st Jun 2004, 11:46 AM
WOW Jason r u german or one of these american genious? Very good german lol if u rn't german.

could u give us a release date for next version??

Thanks Captain.

Alas I'm merely an American genius (and not German). Actually I'm not even sure I can call myself a genius, but you are most certainly welcome to.

And as Tom said, we're all working hard on it over here, but we have not yet nailed down a date for it. When we know for certain, we'll be sure to pass along the good news.

And thanks again for all of your support and patience.

JoshuaC
1st Jun 2004, 02:35 PM
Cool thanks I await my password lol is a new version coming today? I just want to know so i dont end up download the old one and then a few hourn later have to download a new version.

lenny-t
1st Jun 2004, 03:04 PM
i signed up for the beta last saturday, and i still got no user/pass :(

when will u send a new round of passwords to all who signed up?

Jason[Demiurge]
1st Jun 2004, 03:53 PM
We are sending out more login/passwords right now, and I can promise you that we will NOT be releasing a new version today. ;) We're not quite ready for that.

I must get back to bug testing and squashing now. :)

All those who have signed up for the mailing list should be receiving the login and password shortly.

Enjoy!

lenny-t
1st Jun 2004, 04:09 PM
oh and why is there actually a whole user/pass system? If u want people to play your game i suggest you make it user/pass free...

because i think a lot of people hook off when they see they have to register and wait a couple of days/houres before they get access to the mod...

if i was developing a game i would put my beta on all the big news sites etc to advertise your game and make it famous to the community.

Captain'04
1st Jun 2004, 04:51 PM
OK m8s. keep up the good work and dont finish tills its perfect. we ll wait for this super cool mod

hottoast
1st Jun 2004, 05:06 PM
oh and why is there actually a whole user/pass system? If u want people to play your game i suggest you make it user/pass free...

because i think a lot of people hook off when they see they have to register and wait a couple of days/houres before they get access to the mod...

if i was developing a game i would put my beta on all the big news sites etc to advertise your game and make it famous to the community.

Lenny,

You bring up a good point about the user/pass system. Really, the main reason that we haven't just made the mod publicly available is because it's not what we like to call "done-done." Meaning, not all the bugs are squashed, it hasn't been optimized enough, the AI isn't completely finished, etc etc etc. We make the mod available to hardcore players, because we trust that they can understand and deal with these issues. We don't let just anyone download it, because we believe the general public won't understand the state the mod is in, or be willing to put that extra effort into installing the mod.

We understand it's not a perfect system - and we're honestly sorry that sometimes you have to wait a few days before we send out passwords for the mod. We ask only that you be patient with us; if you sign up for the mailing list, you'll get a password eventually. We do think that the wait is worth it, and we're all working hard to make Clone Bandits even better for you guys.

Cheers,
Tom

jerdaygo
1st Jun 2004, 10:05 PM
Lenny,

You bring up a good point about the user/pass system. Really, the main reason that we haven't just made the mod publicly available is because it's not what we like to call "done-done." Meaning, not all the bugs are squashed, it hasn't been optimized enough, the AI isn't completely finished, etc etc etc. We make the mod available to hardcore players, because we trust that they can understand and deal with these issues. We don't let just anyone download it, because we believe the general public won't understand the state the mod is in, or be willing to put that extra effort into installing the mod.

We understand it's not a perfect system - and we're honestly sorry that sometimes you have to wait a few days before we send out passwords for the mod. We ask only that you be patient with us; if you sign up for the mailing list, you'll get a password eventually. We do think that the wait is worth it, and we're all working hard to make Clone Bandits even better for you guys.

Cheers,
Tom

Do most people who download mods think they will be bug free? The only people I know of who try out mods are at least a little hardcore. But this is okay i signed up for your user and password but it is a little strange, it could make things quicker if you have a version that is really good but might have some bugs to have tons of people play testing for you and just have a thread for bug reporting. The mod looks cool cant wait to get my user/password so i can try it out. If the mod is as good as the pics it should be very cool. :D Looks fun.

Al[Demiurge]
2nd Jun 2004, 10:12 AM
There are two issues at hand which lead us to not to do a wide release of a "beta" quality mod.

1. We're a "real" game company, for whatever that's worth. As a result, we've got a reputation to maintain. Releasing shoddy software could hurt us, so we need to be extra-careful.
2. With every patch, I suspect you lose the more casual ut2004 players. People don't want to download upgrades all the time. Frequently they'll just choose not to play. If we keep the beta releases and upgrades to the hardcore fans, who we can trust to upgrade when new versions come out we'll keep the audience large so y'all will have plenty of servers to play on.

-Al

jerdaygo
2nd Jun 2004, 10:30 AM
']There are two issues at hand which lead us to not to do a wide release of a "beta" quality mod.

1. We're a "real" game company, for whatever that's worth. As a result, we've got a reputation to maintain. Releasing shoddy software could hurt us, so we need to be extra-careful.
2. With every patch, I suspect you lose the more casual ut2004 players. People don't want to download upgrades all the time. Frequently they'll just choose not to play. If we keep the beta releases and upgrades to the hardcore fans, who we can trust to upgrade when new versions come out we'll keep the audience large so y'all will have plenty of servers to play on.

-Al
Ahh, cool, good thinking on your part, its always cool to see a "real" game company put out stuff just so there players will have more fun :D , like how bonus packs are relased for free, just to make ut more fun, mods make it so people can have fun making new cool stuff thats free, if only people wouldnt warez I think we would see this more often.

kevb0
2nd Jun 2004, 10:02 PM
I also put my email on the list, and am very eager to test this mod out :D!

from what i can see, this mod looks awsome. Keep up the good work!

Sinistar
5th Jun 2004, 02:16 AM
I also put my email on the list, and am very eager to test this mod out :D!

from what i can see, this mod looks awsome. Keep up the good work!

Yeah, idid the same.. The mod looks great! I just picked up a copy of UT2004 the other day and I can't wait to test this puppy out!

jerdaygo
5th Jun 2004, 09:50 AM
Good job guys Clone Bandits is pretty stinking fun :D , it reminds me of Twisted Metal, but I never liked any of the Twisted Metal games, I didnt think they were fun, but clone bandits is super fun its what Twisted Metal should have been. :D

Sinistar
6th Jun 2004, 02:34 AM
Just tried the mod with bots and it's pretty un.. I didn't find any online servers, though.. I hope there will be some in the future. :D

NeoNight
6th Jun 2004, 05:39 PM
ya know I would play the mod if I could freakin download it! I mean it looks fun and stuff but whats with the exclusitivity (is that even a word? lol ) for the downloads?

jerdaygo
6th Jun 2004, 08:01 PM
ya know I would play the mod if I could freakin download it! I mean it looks fun and stuff but whats with the exclusitivity (is that even a word? lol ) for the downloads?

Did you read any of this thread? The Demiurge guys have explained why. Did you sign up for your user and password, just submit your email address, thats all i had to do to download it.

fishdonuts
7th Jun 2004, 11:12 AM
The whole user/pass system is a good idea. First, if it was publicly available, there would be lots of "this doesn't work" around. Second, if you can't be bothered to type your e-mail address in a box, why should you get to play it? And third, this is good enough that (if it had more maps in it) I'd be quite prepared to pay to play this version. Excellent mod.

SimplyCosmic
7th Jun 2004, 11:11 PM
I'd be happier if they automated their mailing-list sign up process so that submitting your email would automatically put you into the address list and send out the automated first message with information about the list that just about every mailing list management software available has the ability to do.

C'mon guys, there's a hundred scripts in just about every CGI scripting language you could want, so an automated message sent immediately after the submission letting us know we're on the list would inspire a bit more confidence in your potential audience.

As it stands, many people sign up and never hear anything from this company, and write off the mod forever.

hottoast
8th Jun 2004, 10:10 AM
I'd be happier if they automated their mailing-list sign up process so that submitting your email would automatically put you into the address list and send out the automated first message with information about the list that just about every mailing list management software available has the ability to do.

C'mon guys, there's a hundred scripts in just about every CGI scripting language you could want, so an automated message sent immediately after the submission letting us know we're on the list would inspire a bit more confidence in your potential audience.

As it stands, many people sign up and never hear anything from this company, and write off the mod forever.

Cosmic,

You make a good point. An automated message letting people know that the signup was successful is a good idea. I'll talk with the mailing list admin and see what we can do.

As for your assertion that people sign up, then never hear from us - that's hardly worth discussing. If you sign up, you'll receive a username and a password. We've repeated this several times, and we've delivered. Have a little faith before you "write off the mod.... FOREVER!"

Cheers,
Tom

SimplyCosmic
8th Jun 2004, 07:24 PM
Actually, it is worth discussing, because several people in other mainstream game forums have noted that they've never received any email whatever even after weeks, and have in fact written off your mod in their posts.

Posts in which people complain about giving up an email address and never getting a response after a few weeks have then caused a domino effect in other posters saying that they then don't feel comfortable giving up email information at all if that's the situation and then write your company off without ever even having submitted an address.

So yes, there are plenty of people who are writing your mod off because others haven't heard a peep from you in weeks.

Sinistar
9th Jun 2004, 12:14 AM
Hey when are you guys usually online for a playtest? I can never see anyone online when I search on the internet server browser.

fishdonuts
9th Jun 2004, 05:48 AM
Since this isn't the finished version anyway, I can't see why "writing off the mod forever" is worthwhile- if they don't get the e-mail (which most people have, including me) they'll probably be back for the final version anyway, which'll be more polished than this one.

Nathjan
11th Jun 2004, 08:35 AM
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=389007

all right, i looked at this and saw something that looked like the Moscowboy, and in the Credits i saw clone bandits. I was wondering if you guys gave this peoson permission to do this or not. cuz people in the atari forums are wondering. THXS

Jason[Demiurge]
11th Jun 2004, 10:46 AM
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=389007

all right, i looked at this and saw something that looked like the Moscowboy, and in the Credits i saw clone bandits. I was wondering if you guys gave this peoson permission to do this or not. cuz people in the atari forums are wondering. THXS

He did ask a couple of days ago, and we told him that he could NOT use the rocket bike model and code. I thought he got the message. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are contacting him now.

NeoNight
12th Jun 2004, 01:17 AM
The whole user/pass system is a good idea. First, if it were publicly available, there would be lots of "this doesn't work" around. Second, if you can't be bothered to type your e-mail address in a box, why should you get to play it? And third, this is good enough that (if it had more maps in it) I'd be quite prepared to pay to play this version. Excellent mod.

Did so never got a response... that was during the time I posted my message. Am going to try again right now. I guess hotmail isn't good enough? lol

" Finally, we would love to bring this to the retail market, but there are no concrete plans to do so at this time. Maybe if a thousand people all called a publisher, and demanded that it be released. But as of now, no plans "

Probably won't happen, since only 10 of them could probably actually get the damn thing! :mad: :rolleyes:

Yes I put in my email address just as I did the first 2-3 times. Never got a response.

^ what he said (though am actually trying again )... I mean come on unless this is an internal release or a closed beta there shouldn't be so much exsutivity to the mod.

LloydNoril
14th Jun 2004, 12:16 AM
Heyah! Help me a little bitty bit, please.

The problem is that I signed up and did NOT receive any username/password to download the beta. Please give it to me here: wsimons@poczta.onet.pl

Thank you in advance.

Zarkazm
15th Jun 2004, 04:25 PM
I got a confirmation email for signing up...
...but no username and password for downloading the beta. :hmm:

The mod concept sounds great, I wanna plaaay!

Hyperspace
18th Jun 2004, 08:27 AM
Can I have a Password too as i would love to have a descent mod for UT2004.

hottoast
22nd Jun 2004, 10:17 AM
Can I have a Password too as i would love to have a descent mod for UT2004.

Howdy folks,

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone who's been waiting on a username and password for the mod. We're approaching an updated release of the mod, and a big part of the reason we haven't sent out new passwords recently is because we don't want you guys to download an old version when a new one is on the way so soon. Having said that, I'm still sorry that we haven't been letting you all know what's been holding things up. We're in the process of setting up mirrors and servers for Clone Bandits, so hopefully this release will leave you guys with a lot of servers to play on. On that note, if anyone is interested in hosting a server, feel free to send me a message and let me know.

Once again, thanks for your continued patience.

Cheers,
Tom

fishdonuts
23rd Jun 2004, 05:51 AM
We're in the process of setting up mirrors for Clone Bandits.

And guess who's doing one in the UK already? :) Great mod, by the way.

Edit: Tom, this isn't an offer to mirror it, I'm doing it already. Just to avoid confusion, only you didn't seem to know that I already had it uploaded (in the "download" thread).

Edit again: But for anyone who isn't working on their mod, officially, I don't have it yet ;)

hottoast
23rd Jun 2004, 10:02 AM
And guess who's doing one in the UK already? :) Great mod, by the way.

Edit: Tom, this isn't an offer to mirror it, I'm doing it already. Just to avoid confusion, only you didn't seem to know that I already had it uploaded (in the "download" thread).

Edit again: But for anyone who isn't working on their mod, officially, I don't have it yet ;)

fishy:

I was just goofing around. Your enigmatic post demanded some sort of silly response. :)

Cheers,
Tom

hottoast
24th Jun 2004, 10:31 AM
Hey folks,

We officially launched Clone Bandits 1.0 today to the general public. No passwords required, no username. You can download it from a few places right now, click on the link below for a list of mirrors.

As a special little thank-you to everyone on our mailing lists, I've whipped up a Clone Bandits background. Look for it in your emails.

Thanks again for your support!

Cheers,
Tom