PDA

View Full Version : My Jailbreak 2004 questions thread...

SealClubber
9th May 2004, 08:56 PM
Jailbreak will be released this month, so its time for some answers! :D

- How many maps will be made for this gametype?

- How many of those maps are offical maps that came with the game and have been edited for Jailbreak?

- How many JB mutators?

- How big will this mod be when we download? (Simple estimate will do)

- Will the capture deaths be oh so funny like in the previous JB III?

Thats all I can th9ink of for now, im tired. :p

Birelli
10th May 2004, 12:11 AM
I'll take a stab at answering those. These are just my impressions as a mapper/tester who's been keeping tabs on things, so I'll try to be as cryptic as possible ;)

- How many maps will be made for this gametype?
If JBIII is any indicator, lots and lots. At the moment, I think the list of maps in progress has 19 maps on it. You probably won't see all of them right away, but they'll be coming along in due time :)

- How many of those maps are offical maps that came with the game and have been edited for Jailbreak?
From the aforementioned list: Absolutely none...at least I'm not aware of any of those being conversions from standard maps. That's not to say people won't make them, and there have been many quality conversions in the past, so that's not to say they won't be good either :)

- How many JB mutators?
That's hard to say, as they may come in the form of a "traditional" mutator, or they might come as a JDN: Jailbreak Add-On (http://mychaeel.no-ip.com/jailbreak/Jailbreak_Add-Ons). I think there are currently 5 Add-Ons in my game set-up list in UT2004.

...was that one cryptic enough? did I dodge the question well? ;)

- How big will this mod be when we download? (Simple estimate will do)
The latest core release was 2.5MB. The vast majority of the download size will be the maps though, and they're a bit hard to predict as the list of which maps will be included has not yet been finalized. Take a rough average of UT200x stand-alone map sizes and multiply by about 1-10 ;)

...ok, now that was definitely cryptic enough :D

- Will the capture deaths be oh so funny like in the previous JB III?
Well, all the "official" maps that come with the release and in packs will almost undoubtedly have some sort of customized death sequence. Of course, in Jailbreak 200x that might include some of the "stock" executions that have been worked up and will come with the mod, there's some nice pictures of those over at the screenshot gallery (http://www.planetjailbreak.com/gallery/) (featured in tarq's latest news post) :)

Mulch_D
10th May 2004, 01:22 AM
Question will the Release protection effect be changed now that UT2004 has spawn protecion, I'm not sure which I would like better ATM, I am just wondering.

tarquin
10th May 2004, 04:06 AM
I don't know about spawn protection, but since released players aren't spawned, they just walk out of jail, it sounds to me like they're different things.

On the maps & mutators front, we hope that once we release, coders and mappers will create content for Jailbreak. We've created a comprehensive reference to working with Jailbreak on our developer site.

we actually do have one map that's a conversion, JB-Skyline. But I doubt we'll be including a conversion in our main release. It's more likely we'll do a pack of conversions later on.

Mulch_D
10th May 2004, 07:10 AM
I wasn't asking about problems with Release protection just witch effect is in use, maybe have it client custermisable?

tarquin
10th May 2004, 02:05 PM
Er.... you've lost me there.
There's no danger of the two effects overlapping, as released players aren't spawned.

As for client customization, I don't know about that. I can ask, but I expect we will want to keep a consistent look for the effect.

Katana
11th May 2004, 06:06 AM
OK, are there any maps in the release which have vehicles in them?

Trueblood
11th May 2004, 09:32 AM
""When its done!" \o/
wow...it is fun saying that :lol:

SealClubber
11th May 2004, 10:46 PM

Ohhh.... Good question! :D

Birelli
12th May 2004, 07:53 AM

There won't be any "traditional" ONS vehicles in the release, of that I'm almost positive. Whether there will be anything that's technically classed as a vehicle remains to be seen ;)

Edit: Just to elaborate on that, we only internally thought of possibly adding vehicles to JB maps a week or two before they were suggested in this general forum. It doesn't take much for the gametype to "support" them, but since maps for UT2004 tend to be long-term projects, there really hasn't been enough time for mappers to cook up a map that could have space for and utilize vehicles.

Trueblood
12th May 2004, 08:37 AM
so.....its not meant to have vehicles, but there is a good chance that a mapper will be permitted to add them in the future?

Rakshasas
12th May 2004, 01:15 PM
so.....its not meant to have vehicles, but there is a good chance that a mapper will be permitted to add them in the future?

Yeah pretty much. They are allowing future maps to have it, they just wont do it because I guess that allowing vehicles is a new idea.

Mychaeel
12th May 2004, 01:47 PM
Nobody's not "permitting" mappers to add vehicles to their maps. The maps which are currently in the making and which will be bundled with the release just don't have any, for the reasons Birelli mentioned.

Katana
12th May 2004, 04:17 PM
Just saw you guys mentioned on PlanetUnreal :)
Oh yeah, will JB200x have the translocator zones?

Mychaeel
12th May 2004, 04:34 PM
PlanetUnreal? Cool. I haven't been visiting that place in ages... :)

[edit]
Jailbreak Coming - Virax (Virax@planetunreal.com) -
5/12/04 13:47 PST - PlanetUnreal Happenings

The Jailbreak (http://www.planetjailbreak.com) guys are claiming that the release is coming in May, so here's hoping! I remember Jailbreak was one of my favorite mods in UT, so this is really hyping me. =)

There are a few screenshots there, too.Cool. We seem to have fans even among the PlanetUnreal staff... :) Why this is labeled a "PlanetUnreal Happening" I don't know though. ;)

Birelli
12th May 2004, 07:51 PM
will JB200x have the translocator zones?
Nope, it won't, at least not in this version. The translocator was completely disabled at one point in the mod's history (I can't remember which version), and as I recall there was quite a lot of complaining about this. The translocator was then re-enabled, and at some point (again I forget if it was the same time that the translocator was brought back exactly or later) NoTranslocZones were introduced. JBIII added HUD indications and such which helped a bit enforming the player of when translocators were permissible and where not. This was a bit annoying though as it added a lot of complexity to the translocator.

Here's where I break into my personal opinions, everything in this next paragraph has a large IMHO in front of it ;) - The translocator completely, totally, 100% ruins Jailbreak gameplay. This is true even more in UT200x, where the translocator is a spam-machine that allows players to cross the map at 5 times their normal rate while being virtually invincible. This hurts JB more than any other gametype because an attacker doesn't need to do anything at their objective, they just have to get there. In CTF flag carriers can't translocate, so at least you have some chance of defending - chasing after the FC.

So (and now I think I'm representing most of the dev team), the option to enable translocators is there, but it's off by default and you're encouraged to leave it that way. We just want to leave the option open for people that just have to have their translocator.

Mychaeel
12th May 2004, 08:27 PM
Addendum: There's special translocator support in terms of taking it away from jailed players so that they can't just teleport their way out of jail.

The translocator completely, totally, 100% ruins Jailbreak gameplay. This is true even more in UT200x, where the translocator is a spam-machine that allows players to cross the map at 5 times their normal rate while being virtually invincible.
As far as I remember that was UT's problem, not UT200x's with its slowly reloading translocator... :)

Birelli
12th May 2004, 09:42 PM
Don't get me started ;)

UT's translocator was unlimited, but it wasn't nearly as fast-moving, precise, or just plain long-throwing. You couldn't actually travel much faster than normal speed with it. UT200x's trans you can go a good distance across the map with in one shot. You can't click-frenzy spam it the way you could with UT, but you can still traverse your way across an entire level on the amount of "ammo" you have without needing to wait to recharge. Anyways, you only need it once - to fire at the switch itself, then just trans right on top of the switch. The only option for the defense is to take you out before you get in range of the switch - which with UT200x's laser-beam-like (:p) trans disc is very hard to do.

UnrealGrrl
14th May 2004, 04:16 PM
i never thought the TL messed up JB, theres only some maps where the TL would intrude and many maps where it was needed to get around... the TL IMNSHO is way toned down from UT and im glad it is.

but the best way to deal with it would probably be to have a damper field around release switches that was adjustable within a range. if anything JB plays alot like CTF which is one of the things i like about it and i always thought the TL fit in nicely. just needs a bit of a leash when it gets near a release switch.

FireCrack
25th May 2004, 09:33 PM
Hmm, this is more a subjective question but

-Does the assault rifle feel 'right' in jail, i cant imagine it feeling the way the einforcer did.

Birelli
25th May 2004, 09:36 PM
I don't know, I'm too busy using my hammer to have jail fights ;)

I know what you mean though, the enforcer kind of had that "gangster" feel to it that really fit in with being in jail. No real options as far as that goes though: new game, new weapons :)

Trueblood
26th May 2004, 03:18 AM
I kill more people with Enforcer then with rifle grenades :hmm: i hope it will return some day -__-

Mulch_D
26th May 2004, 03:22 AM
well there was an enforcer mod for UT2003 somewhere.

Birelli
26th May 2004, 07:35 AM
You can always use the "UT Classic" mod that was bundled in with UT2004 to replace much of the new content with the classic stuff.