Idea for new team based game type

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jomar

May 7, 2004
Hello all,

I'm a newbie when it comes to the UT franchise, and online games in general, so forgive me if what I'm about to propose is similar to something that's already out there. Anyway, I thought of a new game type that could potentially be fun, so I thought I might run it by you guys and see what you think.

The game is team based and would take place on regular deathmatch maps, except each map would have a number (5 or so) of energy nodes scattered throughout. Each player could play one of 3 types of classes. They are:

The chosen one - 1 per team
The object of the game is to kill the enemy's chosen one. The player playing the choosen one would have no offensive capabilities at all. His job is simply to stay alive. Additionaly, his health will slowly diminish automatically over time, and the only way to bring it up is to stand on one of the energy nodes located throughout the map.

Hunters - Any number per team
Hunters can only damage the enemy chosen one, and are the only people who can do so. They have a special weapon which damages the chosen one at a fairly slow rate, and cannot use anything else.

Defenders - Any number per team
Can attack enemy hunters or defenders, but not the chosen one. They can use all the standard weapons and power ups.

In addition, the choosen one would move faster then the hunters, who would move faster then the defenders.

Well that's it. Fairly basic really. Any comments and/or suggestions you guys might have would be appreciated. Also, does anyone have any idea how difficult it would be for a total newbie to implement these changes using the editing tools?

Thanks,
Jomar

BulletProof

...I wish I was
Mar 27, 2002
Maryland, U.S.
Visit site
First off, Welcome to BuF!

Secondly, its a pretty good idea, but personally I think it would be better to have all classes be able to damage all classes (maybe with the execption of the Chosen one), but have them do only minimal damage to some.

jomar

May 7, 2004
BulletProof said:
First off, Welcome to BuF!

Secondly, its a pretty good idea, but personally I think it would be better to have all classes be able to damage all classes (maybe with the execption of the Chosen one), but have them do only minimal damage to some.

Thank you for the welcome, and the suggestion. I think you've got a valid point about allowing everyone to inflict minimal damage on anyone else. Probably provides for more options during the game.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I think forcing people to play either a pure offensive or defensive-only class is not going to work.
Even in TeamFortressClassic and Unreal Fortress people would use any class to attack, while (on public servers) few wanted to defend.

The 'Chosen One' would be even worse ... who'd want to play a walking target with no offensive/defensive capabilities whatsoever ?
I think it'd be better if it was an AI that played that role, because that definitely isn't the kind of class anyone is going to want to play.

As for maps ... altough it initially sounds like a great idea to play this on a random DM-map, most gametypes are better served with their own special maps.
It would make sure that the 'energy-nodes' could be defended and attacked.